XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Car monitor issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts
Exclamation Car monitor issues

SO my scanner shows that there are 5 monitors not turning on, on my 1996 xj6. I was told to drive it for some time to get them to turn on so I drove to boston and back from NYC all in the same day. That's 220 miles each way and I was doing anywhere from 70-90 mph! Any ideas as to why they aren't turning on? Am I missing something?

Old 12-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Will need more info.

What type of scanner?

Which monitors?

Have you set up a readiness standard? which one?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 PM

Type of scanner is an autotel maxiscan ms309
The monitors that are not coming on are:
-catalyst monitor
-evap system Monitor
-sec air system
-egr system monitor
-oxygen sens monitor

Any ideas?

Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure about that particular scanner. Some do require setting up a readiness standard or turning on non-continuous monitors. Have you checked your Autel manual?

My 95 XJ6 is quite finicky when it comes to scan tools, it likes some but not others

Old 01-06-2014, 08:13 PM

Haven't checked the autotel manual but I will tonight when I get home. Didn't even think about that. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 PM

Ok I checked the manual. It says that the monitors I described are secondary monitors which only come on during certain driving conditions. I have driven to jersey and back, and then continuously drove in the city and still haven't gotten them to turn on. Any ideas? Any specific drive cycle I have to do?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by etaent
Ok I checked the manual. It says that the monitors I described are secondary monitors which only come on during certain driving conditions. I have driven to jersey and back, and then continuously drove in the city and still haven't gotten them to turn on. Any ideas? Any specific drive cycle I have to do?
Yes, as I mentioned they are non-continuous monitors. I peaked at an Autel manual online and it describes the need for a variety of different driving requirements, including stop and go city, highway etc and it also says "at least one overnight off period" Not very specific but maybe you need to do that cycle before trying to read the monitors?. The manual was not for your particular model but generally a manufacturer will use consistent logic in their devices.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info and yes I did exactly as the manual asked and performed a drive cycle with a variety of highway, stop and go city driving, and an overnight off period and still nothing. Any ideas?

Old 01-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info and yes I did exactly as the manual asked and performed a drive cycle with a variety of highway, stop and go city driving, and an overnight off period and still nothing. Any ideas?
Sorry not really, other than I know in my 95, the OBDII compatibility is a bit spotty. I have 2 scan tools, one works fine,the other not so much

Perhaps Autel could tell you if their unit is compatible with your Jag or if you need any firmware upgrade? It's an outside shot.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:08 PM

So I checked with another scanner and it also says the same 5 monitors aren't ready. Any ideas what could cause this?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

Don't forget that you are dealing with a relatively old car. I don't know what the rules were in US but in UK cars did not need to be OBD compliant until 2001 (I think) so to have any capability on a 95/96 car is a real bonus.

The monitors you are referring to may simply not be present in the X300 or may not be fully compliant.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by b1mcp
Don't forget that you are dealing with a relatively old car. I don't know what the rules were in US but in UK cars did not need to be OBD compliant until 2001 (I think) so to have any capability on a 95/96 car is a real bonus.

The monitors you are referring to may simply not be present in the X300 or may not be fully compliant.
In the US it was a legal requirement for all cars sold from 1996 on to be OBDII compliant. Jag introduced it on the X300 at launch in 1995 but it still had a few kinks

The monitors the OP is looking for are present on X300.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 PM

I agree, from what I've read, all 96 and up cars sold in the us must be obdII compliant. Furthermore, I won't pass Nys inspection with 5 monitors not ready. What else can I do?

Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Well the only thing I can think of apart from compatibility is the possibility that something is actually keeping the car from getting to that stage.

Do you have any codes showing? Is the car going into closed loop?

I know having a kooky oxygen sensor can effect some of the monitors but I wouldn't have thought it would affect the evap system?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 PM

So today I have it another scan and the oxygen sensor monitors and the secondary air monitor are now ready. But the catalyst system and evap system monitors are still incomplete as is the egr system monitor. Any ideas? The egr is not more than two years old.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 84 Likes on 40 Posts

So today I have it another scan and the oxygen sensor monitors and the secondary air monitor are now ready. But the catalyst system and evap system monitors are still incomplete as is the egr system monitor. Any ideas? The egr is not more than two years old.

so i have a very very cheap scan tool for got the name
got it from autozone

i have a 96 x300

and i get the cat codes . i need 4 new cats and the mufflers and i live in cali so mega BUCKS for that.
my coils went out on 3,4,5,6 and it told me those codes as well
i erase them after i fix em
great tool to have

what codes did urs pull?

are you driving with the tool plugged in?

Old 01-09-2014, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member

Well that's progress All I can think of is that the manual said "at least" one overnight off period. So I'm wondering if you continue to run the tests for another day or two and then run do the drive cycle, perhaps all the monitors will come alive?

Originally Posted by vandenplas408
what codes did urs pull?

are you driving with the tool plugged in?
I don't believe the OP's problem is reading codes, rather that the monitor tests will not run and complete.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:45 PM

I am going to give it a try, and yes I tried looking at it with the car driving and no change.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Ok so I've tried everyrhing. From city and highway driving, to overnight period off and still nothing. Any other ideas?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I would say you have not finished the tests because there is a problem. I assume you are not getting a fault code?
In my case, I could not complete due to a faulty TPS, then the need to calibrate the replacement TPS with the dealer software.

How are the STFT and LTFT and how many lambda cycles do you get per 10 seconds?

I assume "woodhaven" is the one in the US, so does the lambda response for the post cat sensors track the pre-cats, with the post cats somewhat less responsive? (Cat efficiency test)

Is there any chance your gas cap is leaking? And you have not gotten any evap codes?

The evap test can apparently be sensitive to the fuel tank level. As I recall, 3/4 full is supposed to be best.

BTW, steady 35 to 45 mph with slow accel and decel between those, along with several minutes of idle seem to get the test complete in about 35 to 40 miles of driving for me. I think I have read a drive cycle procedure for the X300, but I cannot find it right now.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Car monitor issues