XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Clunking sounds in back, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking sounds in back, thoughts?

Hi everyone,

Would like an opinion, if possible.

I test drove the car that I am interested in and heard some clunky type sounds towards the back of the car ... only at very slow speeds. Almost like it was the wheel, but not quiete ...

Am I looking at shocks?

Thank you kindly in advance for any advice.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Clunking sounds in back, thoughts?

Greetings,

It is very likely that you are correct, and that the noise is coming from the rear shock absorbers. Worn lower rear shock mounting bushings are very difficult to detect by inspection, but very easy to hear when driving.

The bushings can be purchased and replaced separately, but this is not much of a bargain: the bushings are rather expensive, and the shocks must be removed from the car to replace them.

As for the questions in your other post: My labor charge for replacing rear shocks is for three hours time, they are not designed to be easily removed and refit. In the case of an XJ6, the correct shocks can be purchased directly from aBilstein dealer, so you can retain the original ride quality without paying the Jaguar price. As an approximate, to me that means about a $500 repair (U.S.).

As for the air cleaner box, you are again correct about the air inlet. One point I would bring to your attention, however: I believe this is the cover for an air cleaner housing from an earlier XJ6. Memory tells me that the correct air inlet tube for a 1995 is shorter, curved, and of alarger diameter. The inlet does not connect to anything, and having the earlier cover may not make a noticable difference.

If I was inspecting a car for sale and noticed the different air cleaner cover, I would be suspicious that there may have been accident damage to the left front of the car. There is hardly a reason why this cover would have been replaced otherwise, unless someone had fitted an aftermarket air cleaner assembly which was later removed to switch back to the original setup. If there is no sign or record of any collision damage, don't worry about it.

The model you are looking at is a very fine and reliable car. Ifthe particular carhas been well taken care of, I do not think you will be disappointed with your purchase and ownership. Good hunting!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clunking sounds in back, thoughts?

Hello and thank you very much for your reply. The air box was just a pic I took from e-bay for example sake because it was th eonly one that had the tube showing in the pic, the car I do belive has the correct box for the year- 1995.

It must be the shocks then in regrad sto th ethumping. How critical is this to take care of immediately, do you believe? Not trying to skipm on maintanance, just putting my ducks in order.

Last, thing and I asked the shop to correct this b-fore I pick up the car is that the passenger side right window went down and is unfortunately stcuk in that position. Passenger left window is not operating at all. (Front of car windows operate beautifully). I hear a sound when I try to move th efaulty window up (like in the motor), but nothing is happening. Supposedly this happened just the other day .... any ideas on this item?

Your repsonse is very appreciated. The car has 76K miles, 1 owner and drives very smooth, stops well and no pulling to the side, no further noises. Been loving the XJ series for a long time.

Thanks!!