XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Crazy door mirrors on 1997 X300 !

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Crazy door mirrors on 1997 X300 !

My apologies if this thread overlaps another - I have searched and found nothing similar.
The door mirrors on my 1997 X300 Sovereign have gone crazy !
This is the model with the 'memory' seats, so the mirrors have a 12-wire connector.
The passenger side mirror will only move upwards or inwards, not down or out, and only when it is selected by the slide-switch.
The driver side mirror will only move down and outwards, but does this whatever position the slide switch is in !
When I try to move the mirrors in directions they won't go in, I can hear a relay or something operating somewhere inside the dash.
I recently changed the driver's mirror for another one as mine wasn't folding/unfolding properly. It seemed like it had suffered a severe blow under previous ownership. Both mirrors now fold and unfold properly using the switch.
I have had the switch block in the drivers side door trim out and apart and examined it carefully and cannot see anything wrong with it visually.
I am now worried that this might be a control module or relay problem, but not too sure where to find it and how to test. I don't have a problem handling electronics.
I can't really afford the cost of buying replacement parts to swap out just to see what works or doesn't, I really need to diagnose and fix the problem properly.
By the way, the car is a RHD U.K.-spec Sovereign with memory seats.
Thanks in advance for nay help.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,819 Likes on 12,177 Posts

I'm impressed you got the driver's switch pack put back together again!

Have you got the electrical schematic Fig 13.3 for RHD Column and Mirror Movement - Memory covering the door mirrors. If not, would it help?

Graham

Old 11-12-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
I'm impressed you got the driver's switch pack put back together again!

Have you got the electrical schematic Fig 13.3 for RHD Column and Mirror Movement - Memory covering the door mirrors. If not, would it help?

Graham
Well, I've got plenty of patience ! Actually the switch pack comes apart and goes back together again quite simply - just one screww and a couple of clips.
I don;t have a decent schematic like you mention. I could really do with a proper circuit diagram of the whole arrangement. Do you know how I could get one ?
Once I have a decent diagram and wire colours then I can usually sort out most electrical problems.
I am a little worried that this might turn out to be some problem with a sealed 'black box' of electronics.
Thanks.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,819 Likes on 12,177 Posts

You can download the Electrical Guide - 1996 from my MediaFire account by following this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/kckrck...ide_-_1996.pdf

Alternatively, if you want the full JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information System) Workshop Manual, you can find download instructions through this link to the thread in General Tech Help:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...rchives-65926/

Graham

The following users liked this post:
keplaa (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
You can download the Electrical Guide - 1996 from my MediaFire account by following this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/kckrck...ide_-_1996.pdf

Alternatively, if you want the full JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information System) Workshop Manual, you can find download instructions through this link to the thread in General Tech Help:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...rchives-65926/

Graham
Thanks, Graham, I've downloaded the electrical PDF and it certainly is a good start. Unfortunately it just shows the mirror and column control unit as a 'black box' with no details of what is inside, which is a shame. I also notice no sign of any relays associated with the mirrors so I guess they are within this 'black box' control unit ?
Of course, the big question now is whether I can somehow source a diagram of the control unit internals.
I am becoming concerned that the 'easy' way of diagnosing which is at fault will be to swap out the door switch pack and the control unit for known good ones ? This worries me because, not having spare unit to hand, I would have to buy both in order to work out which was at fault.
Now, if somebody with a similar X300 could just lend me theirs for a while . . .
Not too sure how to make progress with this now, perhaps somebody can advise ?
Thanks again.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by keplaa
Thanks, Graham, I've downloaded the electrical PDF and it certainly is a good start. Unfortunately it just shows the mirror and column control unit as a 'black box' with no details of what is inside, which is a shame. I also notice no sign of any relays associated with the mirrors so I guess they are within this 'black box' control unit ?.
The mirror movement using the selector switches should be fairly easy to diagnose, there is just a 12v signal from the appropriate switch direction to the up/down or side/side motors. You can check to see if you have 12v exiting the door switch at the pins shown on the diagram and also the same at the motor end.

The following users liked this post:
keplaa (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by AllanG
The mirror movement using the selector switches should be fairly easy to diagnose, there is just a 12v signal from the appropriate switch direction to the up/down or side/side motors. You can check to see if you have 12v exiting the door switch at the pins shown on the diagram and also the same at the motor end.
So, I had a go at that today but the results were 'inconclusive'. I managed to slide the probe from my multi-meter down into the back of the appropriate positions on connector to the switch. The 'mirror movement request' lines can be high or low when active, which shows as 12v or 0v, but 'floating when inactive - which is difficult to discern with just a meter.
Anyhow, I decided to have a re-think of the problem. I had been thinking that the presence of the column/mirror ECU 'black box' was hindering diagnosis of the problem. Then, like a good little engineer, I decided to make it help me instead. With the mirrors and steering column purposely moved into the 'wrong' position for me, pressing one of the memory buttons would make them move successfuly into a 'correct' position. I could even set each memory to a new position and recall it spot-on !
The above shows that the ECU is functioning correctly, along with the motors and position sensors too - so it must be the driver's door switch pack which is at fault. Best of all, I can get back to driving the car with steering column and mirrors in the position I like !
Thanks for the help folks. Now its time to worry about the MOT test !