XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

cupholder in the center armrest

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default cupholder in the center armrest

I can safely say that we all are or will have this cupholder issue and some might want to have; 1. reasonable fix, 2. a replacement armrest without cupholder, or 3. glue the sucker in permanently. So..........
1. Reasonable fix; is there a better cupholder piece that will last available?
2. Where can one buy a armrest without cupholder; what vehicle will it come off of or is there a new one being produced.
3. I am really liking the idea of gluing it closed as it is so poorly designed and anything sitting there spills everywhere - it seems it was a after thought, last second, and they ran out of time. The designer should be seriously ashamed.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm new to this, but here's my limited experience.

a) I believe there is a new (improved?) metal hinged version available out there.
b) Every available one I saw, seemed outrageously expensive (at least to me)
c) I've seen references to folks that have repaired them.
d) For the same price range I was seeing just for the cupholder, I ended up buying a brand new whole armrest from an outfit on ebay from the UK that matched my interior. It had the old model plastic hinged cupholder installed. Maybe it will last a few years before I need to search again.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey R. I have had issues with my cupholder aswell. The right side hinge broke so it would stay open. I took the armrest off and drilled a small hole in the piece of the cupholder that was still there. I screwed a screw through the outer hole and the small hole I drilled into the hinge piece of the cupholder. If that's ur issue, I hope it helps!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts
Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The previous owner of my car went through two cup holder assemblies. He eventually drilled two small holes and ran some thin wire through and twisted extremely tight to serve as the hinge.

when I got the car the thin wire had started to wear the holes that were drilled wide enough to cause the lid not to latch correctly. This caused the cup holder to always be partially open *super annoying*

My solution to this was to take the assembly out of the arm rest and remove the springs. Stays shut now and there is still enough tension on the wires that it pops out a little when you hit the button. From there I just manually pull it open and boom goes the dynamite.

The following users liked this post:
LouieXK (05-06-2015)
Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 7,872 Likes on 4,759 Posts

People seem to want the metal hinge cupholders but the kit will not properly fit the 1993 to 1999 models. The metal hinge cupholders were introduced for the 2000MY US XJ/XK cars. They have a different trim cover with a 'bulge' for the hinges.

If you try to fit an early trim cover, you will find that it won't cover the hinges and pull up tight to the rest of the mount holes.

Just an observation I have from trying this repair.

bob gauff

Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
People seem to want the metal hinge cupholders but the kit will not properly fit the 1993 to 1999 models. The metal hinge cupholders were introduced for the 2000MY US XJ/XK cars. They have a different trim cover with a 'bulge' for the hinges.

If you try to fit an early trim cover, you will find that it won't cover the hinges and pull up tight to the rest of the mount holes.

Just an observation I have from trying this repair.

bob gauff
Bob, are the metal cupholders you are referring to the same as this?

$230 shipped is over the top but it would be great to have one that won't break.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 AM

That's the cupholder repair kit for 2000MY onward. The metal hinges bulge where they are mounted and the older cover will not fit properly. I tried to install one and was not happy with the fit.

I used to keep both kits in stock but most people don't want to spend the money to fix the console lids anymore.

bob gauff

Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

I just repaired the plastic pivots in my '96 VDP for the second time (a little stronger repair this time). If this doesn't work I'm going to pop rivet some hinges and so on and so forth. BTW, I have a pair of hinges that will fit.

Last edited by Roger95; 02-19-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: add words
Old 02-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If you bought a Jaguar without a cup holder the solution is simple. All you do is carry your hot coffee or cold coke to the car and balance it on the centre arm rest. Then start the car but before you move off, just say, "Would you hold this, please, sweetheart?"
Some wives will and some wives won't.
Like I said right at the start, it all depends what model you got.

Last edited by 5tevie; 02-08-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Spelling goof.
Flipr78 (12-17-2017)
Old 02-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

I don't eat or drink in my car and the cup holders are entirely useless to me and I only keep them to maintain originality...

Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I broke my cup holder In my 308 about a week after I bought it, my permanent and oe design fix only cost me $4 bucks I went to my local pull a part bought an arm rest with cup holder and rebuilt mines...

What i'm saying is to shop around, take time and create a project...

And as I was recently told, you cannot enjoy a used Jag until you rebuild it!!!!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Another approach?

Given the numerous issues with the dreaded cup holder, I adopted a different approach that may be of interest. I tend not to fill the centre armrest cubby hole with junk and so, thought it might be a useful space to incorporate a simple cup holder. My prototype consists of a piece of 1/2 plywood, with the underside edges rebated to allow it to fit flush with the top of the opening itself. Two appropriate sized holes were cut in this ply to accomodate two cups and there you go! Sturdy, simple and safe! The longer term plan would be to cover this ply with a piece of matching leather (or even Trimcell or Leatherette) complete with matching stitching etc. ( I am happy to say that I am pretty handy with a sewing machine!) A simpler alternative would be to make the holder from aa piece of matching walnut, treated, varnished, with the inner edges of the holes routed into soft curves as would be the outer straight edges. A plus side to this system is the fact that it just sits in place and can be removed at any time and kept in the glovebox. Just my two cents worth. The attached pics may explain better.cupholder in the center armrest-cupholder-1.jpg

cupholder in the center armrest-cupholder-2.jpg

cupholder in the center armrest-cupholder-3.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by sogood:
Alf Hucom (05-26-2012), Mario23 (03-12-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That sounds like a plan , a different and promosing approach indeed

Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Is there any glue effective enough to repair the hinge? Only one side of my cupholder is broken and I was thinking about using a 2 part epoxy but I was concerned the long drying time would make it difficult.

My other option is just to glue the damn thing shut but I'd rather fix it if possible.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by imagineaudio
The previous owner of my car went through two cup holder assemblies. He eventually drilled two small holes and ran some thin wire through and twisted extremely tight to serve as the hinge.

when I got the car the thin wire had started to wear the holes that were drilled wide enough to cause the lid not to latch correctly. This caused the cup holder to always be partially open *super annoying*

My solution to this was to take the assembly out of the arm rest and remove the springs. Stays shut now and there is still enough tension on the wires that it pops out a little when you hit the button. From there I just manually pull it open and boom goes the dynamite.
This is an option I'm considering as well.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I remember seeing a European-market (No cup holder) arm-rest at a parts website somewhere, but I'd have to check and make sure again. Which I'd kind of want to do even if I never have to replace the armrest in mine already because I'd rather have a cup holder-less car. But for what it's worth, they -are- perfectly fine seemingly if you just stick with using them for cans, and I'd just about say that's what they were really intended for considering how snug a 12 ounce can fits in there.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:29 PM

Buy a console lid for the 1988-1993 XJ40 and dye it to the interior color. I put a later MY console lid W/Cupholder in my 1992 XJ40 and had it dyed LDY. It was a lighter grey so the plastic release button was a lighter grey but looks fine. I still have the original lid IF I ever want to re-install it.

Just a thought.

bob gauff

Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM

Thanks to photog77:

The Europeans still can't make a decent cup holder - if you really need cup holders, buy a Chevy.

The XK8 cup holders are no exception. While there are many points of failure, if yours is broken at the hinge, it may be fixable without spending $150 for the repair kit.

I used some epoxy putty (like Mighty Putty) to build new pivot points.

• Clean the broken area with alcohol or other solvent
  • Knead a small amount of the putty to a uniform color
  • Roll the putty out to a cylinder about 1/8" in diameter
  • Form the putty in and around the broken area, replicating the original shape as best as possible.
  • Let the putty cure overnight
  • Use a Dremel tool to shape the cured putty
  • Use a 5/32" drill to create the pivot point
  • Use fine sandpaper to smooth out the putty
  • Paint the finished repair with black model paint
  • Carefully insert the hinge rods into the new pivot points
The putty is amazingly strong, and bonds well with the ABS plastic. Although I'm being careful with the repaired hinge, it is holding up fine. Cost about $5.00 - a whole lot better than $150.

The following 2 users liked this post by cstu:
Alf Hucom (05-26-2012), DevilDog (08-02-2014)
Old 12-25-2021, 03:42 PM
Received 209 Likes on 127 Posts

Well, I finally rebuilt mine. First i used JB Weld on the hinges. Put in a lot extra to make it strong. Then drilled a hole in the JBWeld to the size of the stub of the hinge. Took a Dremel to the extra weld and shaped it. Then i drilled a hole through the stub just enough to fit a ground wire off of 12/3 Romex. Fit it into the hole of the hinge and through the JB Weld hole just enough and twist it back. Now it is really strong and has enough flexibility that I don't think it will break. Time will only tell.

Cafcpete (12-26-2021)

Quick Reply: cupholder in the center armrest