XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Diagnosing Fuel Problems/Non Start Issue

Old 04-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diagnosing Fuel Problems/Non Start Issue

Hi there, complete novice so apology for asking questions that might appear obvious to others.

1996 XJ6 . Late fathers, been stood some time. It was "running" buts it cut out a few times when i moved it.

Could do with a bit of a checklist to diagnose the fault.

1. How can i check the fuel pump is working correctly? - Slight noise when ignition is on but im not 100 percent sure if it is the fuel pump.

I know it should run for a few seconds until the system is pressurised and then cuts off until the engine starts and it recieves the "pulses" from the ecu (correct?).

Ive checked the fuses mentioned in another thread and i cant see any obvious ones blown. Not entirely sure how to check the relays?

2. Can someone explain to me how the fuel return line should work? In theory should that line always have fuel in it, or will it only do so intermittently ? Just trying to get it clear in my head!. Theres the fuel line that takes it from the pump to the fuel rail via the pressure regulator correct? And the fuel rail/injectors open and shut via inputs/pulses from the ecu. Is that correct.

Im asking because it looks like my dad was trying to bleed or do something withe the fuel lines as he's rigged up another filter with a drain plug near the tank. Not sure what he was trying to do, but when i mate of mine was pissing round with is as i was cranking her she fired up - could be coincidental - he might have accidentally moved some fuses/faulty connectors in the boot.

Any ideas?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Maybe your dad was trying to get the gas out of the tank. Water in the gas is a common problem on cars that have sit. Remove the little filter screen in the fuel filler boot asnd see if the water drain is plugged.

You almost have the fuel system right. The pump pumps forward at an almost constant flow. The pressure regulator opens up and returns fuel to the tank to modulate pressure.