XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

don't start / stuck in park :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default don't start / stuck in park :(

hi all had car parked up over xmas. tryed to start a few times just got "clicking noise" so left it, so decided to sort it this week, charged battery plus jump leads and ....nothing , so panicked and hit e-bay for starter motor, well something didn't feel right so put meter on fly wire and turned key, no power so used booster pack on starter motor and she turned over and started, ok wish i didn't order starter motor, ok jump in and can't get her out of park? undid the little plug poked a screw driver in and yes it will come out of park but as soon as i put it back in park she locks up
was reading other threads on starting are these two problems linked or is it just bad luck

Old 02-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

The two issues may well not be connected, as can sometimes happen, just to confuse us. But I think there is a connection here and it sounds electrical. The fact that you shift the car from park, using the "manual" approach is always going t be a once off measure, as the solenoid that should release the gearshift eletcrically, isn't operating, full stop. New battery etc. but no effect at the starter, suggests a bad connection somewhere, especially when you know the starter is working, using the booster pack. Clean and check the connections at the battery and at any earths around it, in the boot. Do likewise with the starter and also check the body earth straps round the bulkhead and also the one on the gearbox. There are a few earths also under the centre console, but look at the obvious ones first.

If you have a multimeter you might check for power at the starter and at the solenoid, but I'd lean towards a bad earth. After that you could start looking at fuses and relays, especially the ignition relay, mounted behind one of the front headlamps on a bank of three relays (I think) Someone may correct me on this.

Best of luck with it.

The following users liked this post:
Chris Green (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I'd also suspect coincidence with these two issues rather than a direct connection.

The Park Interlock is the easier to troubleshoot and eliminate.

With the ignition key is position II and without trying to start the engine, when you press on the brake pedal you should be able to hear the click of the interlock solenoid beneath the J gate.

If there's no click, check for power at the interlock solenoid. If there's power, it's the solenoid. If no power then it's harness or more likely the brake pedal switch.

Graham

Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sogood
The two issues may well not be connected, as can sometimes happen, just to confuse us. But I think there is a connection here and it sounds electrical. The fact that you shift the car from park, using the "manual" approach is always going t be a once off measure, as the solenoid that should release the gearshift eletcrically, isn't operating, full stop. New battery etc. but no effect at the starter, suggests a bad connection somewhere, especially when you know the starter is working, using the booster pack. Clean and check the connections at the battery and at any earths around it, in the boot. Do likewise with the starter and also check the body earth straps round the bulkhead and also the one on the gearbox. There are a few earths also under the centre console, but look at the obvious ones first.

If you have a multimeter you might check for power at the starter and at the solenoid, but I'd lean towards a bad earth. After that you could start looking at fuses and relays, especially the ignition relay, mounted behind one of the front headlamps on a bank of three relays (I think) Someone may correct me on this.

Best of luck with it.
stupid question were is gearbox earth? found the ones on the wing, can just see one on starter motor, found small ones under ash tray, i got 3 black relays behind drivers headlight (uk spec) no markings
but i also thinking bad earth poss engine as even when its running its not putting out enough amps to run things i.e get reading of 13v put on lights it drops to 9v sometimes i get solenoid click on starter, and yesterday after using my starting trick i did get gear leave to realise but after checking lights it locked up

Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 AM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Sounds exactly like what I have just Gone through in the last couple weeks
Be careful jumping them you can fry the ECU
I just charged my battery up turned out on my car to be the rotary switch on the side of the shifter
When the battery has charge turn ignition on put your foot on the brake and you should be able to move the shifter while moving the shifter hold the key in the crank position moving the shifter slowly
I did this to mine after mechanics electricians new battery even reset the immobiliser nothing worked until I moved the shifter like that
I was going to replace the rotary switch but holy crap they are expensive
I think ill just pull it out and try and pull it apart and clean and lube it worth a try just did it to my 07 Jeep GC shifter its working sweet now