XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Door locking mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Door locking mechanism

So I have question for those who know what might be the issue.

When unlocking my car using the key from the outside, my locks (on all doors) would lock, unlock, and then lock. The cable that clips to the driver's door actuator came undone (too much slack) and I was unable to open the door from the inside. After that incident when I would lock the car using the key, it would not do any funny business (as in unlock, luck, unlock, etc). It worked perfectly fine. I was able to do some shade tree mechanic alterations and fixed the slack on my cable but now my car is unlocking, locking, unlock again. Is the actuator the problem here? Or other part of the locking mechanism?

Old 10-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

The Security Locking Control Module may have gotten out of sequence and just can't satisfy itself as it sees a feedback switch inside the lock actuator and you could remove the positive battery cable for a minute and see if the SLCM resets to zero state . If not , you might try a Jaguar " Hard Reset "

Old 10-12-2017, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

With so many having issues with door locks lately, including myself, I want to clarify what causes the "mysterious" cycling of the locks, and/or an inside lock button that is "springy" and ineffective, from either locked or unlocked position:

The three pivot points marked "A" on the door latch need to be cleaned and lubed. That is the bottom line. The door panel must come off, the latch must come out. A tedious repair, but once completed, your power locks will work like new (assuming nothing is broken).

The latch mechanism has many pivot points and springs. It is heavy and built very well (with the exception of some of the electric actuator box hardware). Due to our cars' age, these complex mechanics become sticky. Once the metal hardware is moving freely again, the electric actuator boxes can function with ease. This process also allows access to the switch that tells the modules whether the door is closed and/or locked, so it too can be checked and cleaned.

This fix does not address a physical jam like some have seen. That jam usually happens when a plastic piece in the actuator box breaks. That those boxes hold up for 20 years and more, is a sign of good, although complex, engineering (except for the choice of material). In fact the box would last longer if the mechanism was always moving freely as intended.

Door lock repairs are becoming more of a problem as time goes on and should be viewed as an eventual necessity for these cars; a maintenance item.

Thanks to Bernie for the photo above that he posted last May when he had a door jam due to a broken piece in the actuator box.

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (10-12-2017)
Old 02-27-2022, 12:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

An old thread but just to say thank you for posting. This helped me A LOT today.

The following users liked this post:
SleekJag12 (02-28-2022)