XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

I become locked in the car.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I become locked in the car.

This has been baffling me for some time. I have some time now to work on it, if anyone has some suggestions.

1996 XJS low mileage. All doors work as expected, including a working alarm.

The rub is when I use the chrome drivers side door latch to lock the door while inside....It becomes locked in a semi-permanent position. I am not able to release the door latch manually.
I never lock my doors so I won't get stuck inside.
I would feel more secure if I was able to use the lock.

I have to use my key on the outside drivers door lock to release the locked door.

Someone told me I need a new door actuator.
I not sure about this since it all locks remotely and with the door key.
Thanks

Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

So are you saying that after you flip the door lock you can't flip it back? Because you made it sound like after you flip it, you try to open it with the door handle, which won't work.

If the door lock seems to be locking itself in place and generally being fiddly, the fix is more than likely to take the door panel off and adjust the linkage for it. There is essentially a brass turnbuckle in the middle of the linkage, if it is too far one way, it could be putting the lock at such an angle that it jams after it becomes locked.

The actuators are just for the electronic part, if you have a fob, and also are what acts on the other side of the car. In other word, when you lock and unlock the drivers side, the actuator is what allows it to also lock and unlock the passenger side. So I wouldn't think it would be related to your problem. A failure there will only cause the passenger side to not be locked/unlocked or your fob to not work

Last edited by sidescrollin; 10-23-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I agree. Adjust the linkage. I had to do it for my door handles.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
So are you saying that after you flip the door lock you can't flip it back? Because you made it sound like after you flip it, you try to open it with the door handle, which won't work.

If the door lock seems to be locking itself in place and generally being fiddly, the fix is more than likely to take the door panel off and adjust the linkage for it. There is essentially a brass turnbuckle in the middle of the linkage, if it is too far one way, it could be putting the lock at such an angle that it jams after it becomes locked.

The actuators are just for the electronic part, if you have a fob, and also are what acts on the other side of the car. In other word, when you lock and unlock the drivers side, the actuator is what allows it to also lock and unlock the passenger side. So I wouldn't think it would be related to your problem. A failure there will only cause the passenger side to not be locked/unlocked or your fob to not work
Thanks...... I did adjust I hope was the linkage and it is now locking and unlocking using chrome flip latch ( not a door handle)
So, are my door locks supposed to lock automatically when I put it into drive???

Maybe this was a programmed feature.
Mine has to be manually locked, no big deal. Because I have never found a shop that has the ability to program my alarm system.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

While i am pretty unaware of added features on facelift cars, I doubt the doors autolock when you put it in gear. That is something most cars didn't start doing until the 2000s.

Looking at the electrical diagram, I see the added locking features for the trunk and gas cap, which is manual on the pre-face lift cars.
However, I see nothing in the electrical diagram that would control the locks based on gear or speed. So they shouldn't auto-lock.

The following users liked this post:
RobertL (10-25-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 01:43 PM

On my 86 the doors auto lock

Old 10-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
On my 86 the doors auto lock
like when you are driving? Is there a gear position switch or a speed sensor? I'm looking at the diagram for facelift cars and for pre-facelift and there is literally nothing that would allow for that

Trending Topics

Old 10-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

I've never heard of that either.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:14 PM

Just went to car to check.
6-10 seconds after I start my 86 coupe the doors lock. When I turn the key off the doors unlock immediately.
I thought that was normal.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

idk man, my manuals only go back to 1987 1/2 and i can only find them online up to 1996. I doubt they are different, I have no idea why yours would do that if it isn't normal. Maybe someone else in here can chime in with whether their car does it as well.

RobertL (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 06:05 AM

Well, today I checked my door locks and again they locked me in the car. It is strange, I roll down the window and insert the key in lock to open door. I want to be clear, the door will lock when I apply pressure to the chrome latch next to the door handle. The latch moves to the forward position and locks both doors...
It is when I try to move the latch in back to open doors. It won't move. I thought I had it repaired yesterday. What does everyone think, can this be a ground fault..
Let me make it clear the door locks remotely with the beeper/remote. It locks and unlocks both doors without the latch on either door being moved..
So, it is the movement of the latch to lock the door while I am in the drivers seat that seems to be The problem.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Robert,

There seems to be a couple of issues here.

When you operate teh remote, the doors should lock and the chrome latches move BACK so that they are almost touching the levers. If that isn't happening, but the door handles are still locked, I'm not sure how that is happening. it seems there is a problem with the adjustment of the latches on both sides of the car. I don't think it's possible for the chrome latches to be in the forward position but the doors locked.

As regards locking the doors from inside by moving the latch forward, that also sounds wrong. The locked position for the chrome latch is to move back so that it almost touches the lever.

As a first step, I would take the door panels off and check the operation of the latches when the remote is pressed.

Good luck

Paul

Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

RobertL,
Something is bassackward here. Moving the latches toward the rear locks the door and moving them forward unlocks the door.
Have you tried sitting in the car and using the remote to see which way the chrome paddles move?
Cheers, RagJag

RobertL (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

He said they don't move, even if the door is locked or unlocked. Which blows my mind. Are you positive it is locked?

that chrome flipper is hooked directly to the linkage for the door. The actuator is a separate one linked to the same mechanism.

I would try again to adjust the linkage until it peforms the way you want

RobertL (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

sidescrollin,

Robert said that they do move... "I want to be clear, the door will lock when I apply pressure to the chrome latch next to the door handle. The latch moves to the forward position and locks both doors... "

That's why we're confused, as moving the latch forward should unlock the door, not lock it.

Paul

RobertL (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 05:46 PM

I am really confused myself.. I will spend the next few minutes examining my car and keep in mind your observations. I must be confused, doesn't sound right and to be the polar opposite of all other cars. I will be back
Thanks everyone.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:26 PM

Robert,

There seems to be a couple of issues here.

When you operate teh remote, the doors should lock and the chrome latches move BACK so that they are almost touching the levers. If that isn't happening, but the door handles are still locked, I'm not sure how that is happening. it seems there is a problem with the adjustment of the latches on both sides of the car. I don't think it's possible for the chrome latches to be in the forward position but the doors locked.

As regards locking the doors from inside by moving the latch forward, that also sounds wrong. The locked position for the chrome latch is to move back so that it almost touches the lever.

As a first step, I would take the door panels off and check the operation of the latches when the remote is pressed.

Good luck

Paul

Sidescrollen

Something is bassackward here. Moving the latches toward the rear locks the door and moving them forward unlocks the door.
Have you tried sitting in the car and using the remote to see which way the chrome paddles move?
Cheers, RagJag
I do appreciate all your expertise and I have taken all your advise.

I sat in the car and the remote wouldn't lock car. STRANGE!!!!
As you all know the car remote works when I'm on the outside.
I again open the windows and tried the remote to lock doors and it worked but only the drivers side latch moved to the correct position not the passenger side- even though the door was locked. That's why I thought the latches weren't working I could see drivers latch from the driver's door, only the passenger door.

I now opened the passenger side door and removed the inside panel to gain access to the door mechanism. There was a rod that was bent that connected to the door mechanism and I relieved the stress that was causing it. It looked like the door latch was forced by someone to close. And cause this temp damage.

I now sat in car and used remote to work door locks and they both now work in perfect harmony. I moved manually the drivers side door latch and it NOW caused the passenger side latch to lock and unlock...
I haven't tried to lock car using passenger side door latch, and I don't need to.
I'm a happy man.

Thanks again guys.
I found out this piece of information....The 1996 Facelift XJS didn't lock or unlock using speed sensor control. It was only used manually as I have done.. I like it this way.
I remember owning a 1992 Mini Cooper. If you left a passenger in the car and you pressed the remote locking system. The passenger would have no options to unlock the doors. Dangerous. Also, if while driving the remote was pressed to lock car the doors wouldn't open using the manually latch. The only way out was to press remote to open.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Robert,

Good to hear that it's all sorted. It's not just your car that won't self-lock, I've never seen an XJS that locked itself after moving off. It was never built into the system. If someone has a car that does that, I think it must be an aftermarket addition.

Paul

Old 10-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
sidescrollin,

Robert said that they do move... "I want to be clear, the door will lock when I apply pressure to the chrome latch next to the door handle. The latch moves to the forward position and locks both doors... "

That's why we're confused, as moving the latch forward should unlock the door, not lock it.

Paul
I was talking about when he used the remote

Not to be rude OP, but in the very first post I told you it wasn't in the electrical diagram to auto-lock. I have no idea why BC xj's car does it, but I also can't find electrical diagrams for that year, so maybe they are all that way.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 10-26-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Dont all XJS's doors lock after starting and unlock after turning off key?

Quick Reply: I become locked in the car.