XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Engine bay cleaning...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Engine bay cleaning...

My usual mechanic had a bad experience with another client's Jag XJ engine cleaning resulted in crazy electrical problems. Turned out there were wires that had burned through their plastic enclosures so the problem cause was identified after the fact.

I would like mine cleaned though.

I had a different shop do the big 60k service since my usual guy was put off by dirty looking hoses in the front (as seen when on a lift) and he said he would not do the trans service without those hoses getting replaced ($600 parts alone). The other shop turns out to be the go to place for older Jag transmissions, even for the local dealer. They did everything and followed my extended checklist of things to look for (culled from advise from various sources here); their conclusion was that my XJ6 was in top shape including suspension bushings and shocks.

Safe to have it cleaned by a pro?

Could I just power wash it with the do it yourself car wash jets?

Old 11-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I engined cleaned my XJ6 and XJR when first purchased and both started up without any issues

BUT

I'm not saying you will be out of the clear after washing it. My dad has engined washed his 95 XJS and the car wouldn't start for 2-3 days afterwards.

I recommend using an engine degreaser on the heavily soiled sections and using a power washer but trying to keep as much water as you can away from major electrical parts.
Also after washing, use a blower of some kind (electrical motorcycle dryer) to get the water out of the hard to reach areas....
That's how I did mine..

Old 11-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Firstly -DO NOT power wash your engine bay, its not needed and likely will cause issues.

My suggestion would be......using the following items

1 spray bottle with hot water / APC solution
1 spray bottle degreaser
1 clean 2" paint brush
various used microfibre towels
1 spray bottle Autoglym vinyl & rubber

I would start on the underside of the bonnet, using the spray bottle of degreaser / water etc as required, followed by a wipe down with mf towels

The in the internals of the engine work your way out using a similar process, but using the paintbrush for those difficult, hard to reach areas or those that are finicky.

Pay close attention to electrical areas and avoid as much as possible.

Once "washed" as it were, dry everything as much as you can and once dry, apply the Autoglym vinyl & rubber to hoses, black plastics etc and leave for a few minutes before wiping down again

Here's a few before and afters on my sons old run abouts. Please bear in mid these are only small old daily drivers, using the processes above took around 30 mins.

Vauxhall Astra Before
Name:  astraenginebayscuttle1-1.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  166.5 KB

Vauxhall Astra After
Name:  astraenginebayAFTER1.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  138.1 KB

Renault Clio Before

Name:  P1010014-1.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  114.7 KB

Renault Clio After
Name:  P1010020.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  117.9 KB

Its only a very basic outline, but no engines were harmed whilst following this procedure

Hope it helps

Old 11-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

When I worked at the Jaguar dealer we always had cars towed to the shop after the owner POWER WASHED the engine bay.

Jaguar warranty will not pay for self inflicted damage!!!!!
Perhaps your car insurance will pay for water damage to electrical components but it could get expensive if they won't cover it. Do it on a rainy day and tell the insurance company that you went through a GIANT puddle and the car only made it to the car wash parking lot before it stalled??????

bob gauff

Old 11-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks fellas. No on the powerwash I expected and thanks for the emphatic negative.

Jim, nice details! Your kids cars before pics way cleaner than mine. The 4.0 inline 6 has such nice covers and room to get into.

Jim, what is "got" water?

Old 11-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg

Guessing he meant "hot" water

Old 11-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

I clean my engines 'regularly' (a couple/three times a year) without issue, but I never use high pressure water streams, even from a standard hose nozzle.

I will often just use a 50/50 solution of dish soap and water, sprayed all over the engine, then rinse with the light 'fan' setting from my garden hose nozzle.

Sometimes I'll use an actual engine cleaning product like the "engine bright" products from 'Gunk' or similar, but I try to stay away from harsher degreasers that tend to corrode aluminum, attack paint, etc.

So far I've had no trouble "knock on wood" taking it easy with the water.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
Jim, nice details! Your kids cars before pics way cleaner than mine. The 4.0 inline 6 has such nice covers and room to get into.

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Guessing he meant "hot" water
of course should've been "hot water"

Can't find got water for love nor money at this time of year....lol

Seriously can't stress enough, that this is not difficult and probably only take around 45 minutes or so for a really good result