XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

"ER" in ac temperature screen with beeps

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts
Default "ER" in ac temperature screen with beeps

I noticed in my car whenever I start it I get a beeping sound with "ER" in the ac temp window. Also my exterior temperature gauge just shows two dash lines when I push the button.
Could this be a reason why my ac doesn't blow cold also?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

The AC Panel has a self diagnostic capability.

The procedure for retrieving the codes involves pressing buttons and observing the panel lights and display. The procedure is described in the Electrical Diagnostics section of the manual which is available for download via the How To Quick Links page.

Here's the process in summary
  • Switch off the ignition.
  • Press and hold the 'Auto' and 'Fresh / Recirc.' buttons simultaneously, and switch on the ignition.
  • All the control panel LED's and all LCD segments will flash on and off. Any function LED indicator which does not flash on / off suggests a fault condition within that area of the panel, or with the LED.
  • Any LCD element which fails to flash on / off indicates a fault within the panel or display element.
  • Press 'Auto'.
  • Press 'Face' to scroll through a maximum of 5 fault codes.The control panel display will flash repeatedly indicating a list of two digit numbers (refer to following page for code analysis).
  • If, when a code is displayed, an accompanying 'beep' is emitted, the indicated fault is current and therefore still present within the system. A code displayed without an accompanying 'beep' indicates a fault had previously occurred but is not present within the system.
  • To delete stored and cleared fault codes simultaneously press 'HRW' and 'FACE' switches.
  • After investigating and correcting all stored faults, press the 'Push Off' button to restore normal operation with default panel settings, ie AUTO at 24°C.
The ambient temp sensor fault is likely the cause of the ER and beep, but not sure if that would result in non operation of the AC function.

The following 3 users liked this post by b1mcp:
AlbBolivar (06-12-2014), al_roethlisberger (06-13-2014), JamBar (05-23-2022)
Old 06-12-2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by b1mcp
The AC Panel has a self diagnostic capability.

The procedure for retrieving the codes involves pressing buttons and observing the panel lights and display. The procedure is described in the Electrical Diagnostics section of the manual which is available for download via the How To Quick Links page.

Here's the process in summary
  • Switch off the ignition.
  • Press and hold the 'Auto' and 'Fresh / Recirc.' buttons simultaneously, and switch on the ignition.
  • All the control panel LED's and all LCD segments will flash on and off. Any function LED indicator which does not flash on / off suggests a fault condition within that area of the panel, or with the LED.
  • Any LCD element which fails to flash on / off indicates a fault within the panel or display element.
  • Press 'Auto'.
  • Press 'Face' to scroll through a maximum of 5 fault codes.The control panel display will flash repeatedly indicating a list of two digit numbers (refer to following page for code analysis).
  • If, when a code is displayed, an accompanying 'beep' is emitted, the indicated fault is current and therefore still present within the system. A code displayed without an accompanying 'beep' indicates a fault had previously occurred but is not present within the system.
  • To delete stored and cleared fault codes simultaneously press 'HRW' and 'FACE' switches.
  • After investigating and correcting all stored faults, press the 'Push Off' button to restore normal operation with default panel settings, ie AUTO at 24°C.
The ambient temp sensor fault is likely the cause of the ER and beep, but not sure if that would result in non operation of the AC function.
Thanks for the reply. Did the diagnostic with the AC panel and these are the codes I got.

Look it up in the download and
12 is the Ambient Temp Sensor - I'm assuming this would be fixed by replacing the unit?
23 is the Refrigerant dual pressure switch - I'm not exactly sure how much refrigerant is in the system. But where is this switch located exactly?
24 is Face vent differential temperature control - I'm not exactly sure what this means exactly...
44 is the Defrost servo - Also this one, I'm not sure what this means

Old 06-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I cleared my ac codes, then ran it again. Only came back with 23, but I originally had all those.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
I cleared my ac codes, then ran it again. Only came back with 23, but I originally had all those.

Were you having the same issues as I was?