XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Fan issue and AC related?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fan issue and AC related?

I've recently noticed the lower fan doesn't come on when the car is turned onto accessory mode. The upper one comes on when it needs too, but that fan has blown 2 30 amp fuses within the past month. Are these fans rebuildable? Also my AC only gets cold when it sitting at idle but as soon as I start to move it heats up. Would this have to do with the fans? AC is charged and checked for leaks. Any help

Old 06-19-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The fans run TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are a PAIR and need each other.
If one fails, the LOW is inhibited. The one remaining fan will need to jump to HIGH and blow the fuse.

All the TSBs I post are available for all to read on this forum and on Gus's site.

bob

Attached Files
Old 06-20-2017, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I'll get back with you later as a system test . I planed on overhauling my fan motors to get them more service life so I will look into that specific . Working on a Honda now for someone else and the boneheaded engineers did not get the timing belt tensionsers correct for in service functionality . Got with the Honda dealer mechanic and yep they got it wrong . Changed the design the next year .

Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The major problem with HONDAs is the the engine runs BACKWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
I'll get back with you later as a system test . I planed on overhauling my fan motors to get them more service life so I will look into that specific . Working on a Honda now for someone else and the boneheaded engineers did not get the timing belt tensionsers correct for in service functionality . Got with the Honda dealer mechanic and yep they got it wrong . Changed the design the next year .
I'm sure you can get the motors rewound, but when i had a problem, motorcarman suggested getting an a used a x308 off of ebay, slightly different bolt but a 15 min repair and replace andits been a couple of years, cost about a $100 shipped, what's your time worth;-)

Old 06-21-2017, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

The X300 A/C system has a self test ( Jaguar shop manual 14 - 10 ) built in that may give you some information with the resulting codes . But it does not confirm proper radiator fan operation .See someones 2 following Youtube videos .

The following test for the radiator fans may or may not be valid for the Jaguar TSB's Bob mentions above . I'll have to integrate the modification into a new test procedure , but in the mean time it gives you something to play with . My car has not been modified yet .

If you want peace of mind that both fans and your control relay module ( located under the car below the engine air filter ) works you can just insert a paper clip in the coolant temp switch connector and the A/C pressure switch connector and watch the fans run without the engine running . Ref X300 Wiring Schematic figure 7.1 . 5 minute test . Low current/power circuit so no arcing or damage concern . Just verified this test with Lady P . With the key in the on not start position the coolant temp switch is located an the radiator very lower left side . Contact the sockets for wire White Blue to Black will give you both fans , White to Black will give you the one left side . On the A/C switch it is the 4 wire connector located on the A/C lines on the aft firewall bulkhead . Contact the White Blue with either of the Black and you will get both fans . This test will only verify the relay module and the fan motors and not the switches themselves .

In terms or fan motor overhaul I was thinking more in terms of brush replacement if that is possible not having taking it apart yet ( tomorrow ) . Thanks for the advice on the 308 substitution .

As to the Honda , the problem was that the timing belt replacement was off 30 degrees by the first mechanic , the second mechanic was off on other things , and then there was the initial engineering of the floating eccentrics of the tensioner not moving freely . Got it straightened out for the customer under the shade tree .

Fixed a lot of Boeings

Thanks , Parker

Attached Files

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-21-2017 at 01:57 AM.