XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Fed up with a stalling car

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stu, I had this problem of intermittent stalling when coming to a stop or idling for the longest time with no solution. Other than that, she runs like a champ. But the stalling had no rhyme or reason and can be all of a sudden, usually at low speed or no speed. Based on many others' suggestions on this forum (thanks to all, BTW) I've changed spark plugs, coils, etc. with no result. After researching elsewhere and doing a lot of thinking, I'd finally concluded that it was the Idle Air Control Value (IACV) together with the throttle body was at fault (long story and not enough time to explain for now). Didn't want to spend the $500 at dealer, $300 Lucas or $200 generic and end up with zero result, however, I'd found a no-name brand IACV on Amazon for $20 as a gamble. I'd pulled the throttle body off. It was a horrible, ulgy, dark brown and orange mess. Lots of gunk and varnish build-up in the intake, throttle body, and IACV air passage. I'd used 2 cans of Gum-Out Carb & Choke Cleaner and an air gun to clean inside and out, and in all the nooks and crannies (also, make sure you clean the throttle, throttle plate/butterfly well and re-seat the butterfly according to Jag's TSB. Don't use brake cleaner, however, as it contains acetone, which will destroy plastic and seals). After getting everything spic and span, I put on the new $20 IACV and put things back together. No more RPM drops, no more stalling! I've driven over 1,000 miles so far, and she runs smooth as silk - zero issues! Note: where installing the throttle body, it does not require a gasket; just metal-to-metal contact (mine is a '97 Vanden Plas with 4.0L I6 non-supercharged U.S. market car). I'd put a small, thin bead of O2 sensor safe gasket sealant on the intake just to be sure, but the manual called for none. Just torque to specs and you're good to go. I have to run off to a meeting, but can post some pictures and the Jag TSB later today. BTW, prior to all this, I'd also rolled the dice on a set of 6 ignition coils that set me back only $120. Again, have had zero issues. Not disparaging other parts suppliers, but just hate being over-charged. And, I'm also very stingy! Best of luck to you.

The following 2 users liked this post by OldJags4ever:
Don B (05-18-2016), mgb4tim (05-23-2016)
Old 07-14-2017, 02:23 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpio stu
Is iscc the same as the idle control valve as I think that's what the problem is. If I unplug it the car doesn't stall and runs lovely. If it's plugged back in the car drives ok but will inevitably stall when slowing or stopping

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Did you ever solve the issue? I'm having the same stress with stalling as I stop or slow down unless I keep revs up..

Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

I dont know whether Scorpio Stu sorted out his problem, and there are a variety of possible casuses. One of the easier to solve, but less obvious ones is low transmission fluid. I have no idea what the connection is, but no harm in checking the level?