XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

A Frame removal, bushing replacement, any write-ups?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question A Frame removal, bushing replacement, any write-ups?

Performed a few searches here and Google'd, but unlike most procedures that seem to have some good write ups; removing the rear "a frame" doesn't seem well documented.

The best reference I've seen suggested is within the old "Jaguar World X300" compilation, but that book is out of print.

JTIS has the procedure, but as you know that isn't always the best reference as compared to those that have done it themselves.

I'm replacing the rear shocks this weekend, and have dropping the "a frame" and replacing its bushings on my radar as well. I may not do that at the same time, but then again why not if its not a huge ordeal.

Does anyone know of any good online write-ups on the best way to remove the "a frame" and support the differential and other components, etc while it is all out?

Old 08-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Performed a few searches here and Google'd, but unlike most procedures that seem to have some good write ups; removing the rear "a frame" doesn't seem well documented.

The best reference I've seen suggested is within the old "Jaguar World X300" compilation, but that book is out of print.

JTIS has the procedure, but as you know that isn't always the best reference as compared to those that have done it themselves.

I'm replacing the rear shocks this weekend, and have dropping the "a frame" and replacing its bushings on my radar as well. I may not do that at the same time, but then again why not if its not a huge ordeal.

Does anyone know of any good online write-ups on the best way to remove the "a frame" and support the differential and other components, etc while it is all out?

There are numerous comprehensive write ups in the archives on rear shock replacement. It's all pretty straightforward, with the biggest sticking point appearing to be removing the bottom shock bolts, which can seize in place. They are sometimes difficult to remove as the rubber bush tends to absorb any "hammering" effect.

So, my two cents worth is, check that the bolts will remove easily, before you go dismantling everything! You can place a trolley jack under the hub to take any tension off the spring, thus releasing any tension on the bolt. Just a bit of fine tuning to get the sweet spot.

Cutting the bolts off is not unheard of, so a replacement pair might be needed.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Talking Thanks, but not asking about rear shock removal tips in this thread

Thanks, I've read the various write-ups on rear shock removal.... but that's not what I'm looking for.

Apologies for any confusion, but I am looking for any tips/tricks/gotchas in removing the rear "a frame".

One of the things I've seen mentioned (but not elaborated on) is that it is easy to remove the frame by removing a dozen or so bolts, but "be sure to support the rear differential and other suspension components after removing the frame". That latter admonishion is definitely something I'd like to hear expanded upon

.... such as what to be sure to support, how/where to support it, etc

I've attached a photo of the part I am talking about, which is item #13 in the diagram.

Attached Thumbnails A Frame removal, bushing replacement, any write-ups?-sh4549.jpg  

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 08-15-2014 at 12:50 PM.