XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Fuel rail/injector removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:44 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Fuel rail/injector removal

So, I'm sorting out my fuel issue and despite searching I can't find any definitive information regarding removing the fuel injectors. I've undone all the bolts and took the metal clips off between the injectors and the fuel rail and everything is moving freely about, but still staying firmly in place!

So, are the injectors just a push fit into the rail and inlet manifold. They move about but seem reluctant to come apart and I don't want any "DOH!!!!" moments if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Default Update

I experimented with my donor car and managed to remove the fuel rail and injectors without incident, by simply prising the assembly out.
I tidied up the rubber "O" rings and replaced my (possibly damaged) injectors with those from the donor car, along with the donor fuel rail. Plugs have been removed and cleaned again and the tank has been fully drained down

Everything is back together and buttoned down, with just the replacement fuel filter to fit in the morning. While fitting the new filter, I intend to blow back down the fuel line from the fuel rail, just to clear any possible contamination.

So, fingers crossed and watch this space.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Originally Posted by sogood
I've undone all the bolts and took the metal clips off between the injectors and the fuel rail and everything is moving freely about, but still staying firmly in place.
PULL HARDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

Old 11-26-2016, 08:32 AM

So, I finished off everything this morning and the car started, a little hesitant, but running. There was still a miss, although nothing like there had been after my previous investigation. So, not wishing to upset my cats any further, I traced the miss to a faulty coil, by disconnecting them one at a time with the engine running.
Fortunately, I had a set of coils from my donor car, same Lucas/Jap item, same part number. I still had a very slight unevenness in the idle and went through the coils again and found two others to be less than perfect. So, I replaced them also and now she is running sweet as a nut, even better than before all my issues started.
So, given the general issues with coil failures amongst fellow owners, I'm wondering if any issues with injectors, plugs etc. in fact anything that contributes to smooth or rough running, could contribute to coil failure in any way.
I'm sure it's more than just a coincidence that I experienced coil failure alongside my "water in fuel" issue.
Just a thought and thanks for the various inputs.

The following 2 users liked this post by sogood:
motorcarman (11-26-2016), smartobject (11-30-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Thanks for reporting back with the update.
Combination of faults can be aggravating.

bob