XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Fuel Tank Woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Woes

This is a follow up episode to my no-start XJR rescue series; the link to the preceding episode is here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-woes-171624/

My mechanic has finally managed to remove the fuel tank from the car to enable a good wash and proper replacement of the twin pumps. He said although he had previously emptied the tank of all fluid, there was nothing but a thick layer of yellowish mud at the bottom of the tank. This was probably because Rose had stood in the open for nearly three years, so rain, dust and contaminants of all kinds had found ways to enter the fuel tank and mixed with fuel tank deposits to become mud.

The original twin pumps were still working, but might fail any time. See the deposits on the pumps and the filter attached. So although it is a great pain to remove the tank, it being a 20-year old, the fuel tank and pumps would have to be attended to at some point if the car is to pursue a new life.

The bottom fuel outlet holes were also cleaned up.

Name:  IMG_7915_zps71dqwedi.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  126.6 KB[/URL]

Name:  IMG_7916_zpsqgzlsl8h.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7910_zps51mmmiri.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  130.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7913_zps0duggetv.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7917_zpsr7x5hout.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  97.5 KB

The next step is to reinstall the fuel tank with the new pumps, the feeding tube and returning tube, and a new fuel filter, and fix the tricky broken wire loom buckle between the boot and the cabin compartment. I have also bought new parts that surround the neck of the fuel filler inlet (cap, gasket, filter, rubber basic, etc.), and the mechanic has cleaned all adjacent parts. I have also bought new fuel filter that renew the guard for fuel going from the car bottom to the engine. The mechanic has also air-blown the fuel supply lines to clear any water and dirt inside.

Earlier on the engine and starter jam had been dealt with by thoroughly soaking the moving parts with lubricants and hand turning the engine. The engine started with starting fluid alright on that occasion. So now that the fuel tank, fuel pump, external fuel filter and fuel feeding hose have been dealt with, hopefully the engine may run on its own without any doubt on the fuel supply and electrical issues.

The rescue project is progressing very slowly as the mechanic is a well sought-after master and is working at the margins when he has a bit of time in-between his other regular commitments. I can see glimpse of hope that Rose will soon rise from her deep coma.

Last edited by Qvhk; 12-24-2016 at 11:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (12-25-2016)