XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Gasket Set - Need a little luck/help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:59 AM
Received 209 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Gasket Set - Need a little luck/help

Over the last few months with replacing parts from my parts car, I have had to go out and get a few gaskets and have not had a lot of luck with quality and size. So I am going to powder coat my CamCover and would like a link recommendation to a full gasket set for it. I guess I need the spark plug seals, bolt seals and the gasket itself. I really don't want to move forward wait for the set to come in and realize I got screwed again.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:13 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

The usuals who sponsor here would be my first go to.

There is NO set as such, its not a Toyota, so a cam cover gasket, spark plug seals, bolt seals are all seperate numbers and supplied as needed/ordered.

SNG serve me well, even down here. Coventry West also came up trumps lately. XK Unlimited way back before computers were also very up to the challenge.

I work in Auto Spares, so we all speak the same lingo I suppose.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Well, I know British Parts offers a few gasket sets, but theirs are probably replacement parts. The advantage of buying a set than individual parts is you know the gaskets you want are all there - some parts are so small and are not easy to find on Jaguar Classic Parts' diagrams. Normally if you email British Parts your requirements and quote your VIN number they will look it up for your and reply you with a quotation showing the parts numbers, including what is included in a gasket set. You can then decide whether to proceed with the quotation or look further. For gasket and engine part, most people prefer genuine parts, if still available.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

See Al's comments on the precautions to powder coating magnesium starting on post 43 , may want to use his provider .

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-163891/page3/

Old 06-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

You are absolutely right to want a true OEM camcover gasket. The after markets are too long. Order one from SNG, the dealer, eBay, where ever, but make sure it’s not an aftermarket.

The six coil plugs from URO (Aftermarket) seem to fit just as fine as oem.

The 13 gaskets for the bolts, I bought URO branded ones from RockAuto. I think the OEM prices for those were about $10/piece! I have no idea if they’re any better than the aftermarket, and at that price, I’m not likely to ever find out. I think I bought all 13 for about $13!

I recently had my camcover powder coated, but was careful to select a shop that knew how to treat magnesium. I don’t ever want to do that again! You may want to spend sometime inspecting your current camcover to make sure you shoudn’t Be doing anything to help. Maybe fill in some gaps with jbweld? It depends how bad your cover is and what your powder coater is willing to do. You should ask now so you can figure out if you should spend anytime prepping the cover for paint.

Keep us posted!

Old 06-06-2018, 07:40 AM
Received 209 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
See Al's comments on the precautions to powder coating magnesium starting on post 43 , may want to use his provider .

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-163891/page3/
Yea that is who I am going with. I think he said $186. I did not realize colors were an option. So I may try to go to the same colors as my car which is the red. I am not too much into chrome. So this weekend I will be removing it from my parts car and then start figuring out the colors of the lettering.

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (06-06-2018)