XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Get Your X300 clock Fixed! (ModuleMaster)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 AM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Get Your X300 clock Fixed! (ModuleMaster)

I just had two X300 clocks repaired by ModuleMaster, so I thought I'd post the experience here.

http://modulemaster.com/en/services/clock_modules.php

NOTE: You may notice that the site says "1996 and later Jaguar models". This is an error - all X300 clocks are the same, and I've verified this with ModuleMaster.

They were extremely helpful and polite pre-transaction even as I bombarded them with questions and abnormal requests. My emails were always returned promptly.

The price is pretty high, but I'd just been on a shopping spree for Jaguar parts so I was... errr... desensitised to spending vast amounts of money on sweet F.A. At least it's not a gamble, like buying an alleged working clock off ebay - ModuleMaster promises a 'Lifetime Guarantee' on their repair, including the LEDs.

Basically, they replace the disconnected ribbon cable that causes the fragmentation you see on the display, and replace the two incandescent backlights with LEDs to prevent the exessive heat which caused the issue in the first place. They also renew all the other incandescent backlights in the module.

You can choose green or blue for the LCD backlights.

Turn around time was better than expected, and the clocks arrived well packaged.

They did a clean and professional job on both clocks - no scratching or other signs of clumsy disassembly. And I can verify that the bond between the new ribbon cable and the PCB is pretty strong, as I've aleady had my clock apart three times for my backlighting experiments (of course I don't expect them to cover the warranty on that one ).

The new LED backlighting looks much better than stock. Although the green of the LEDs is a little different to the original colour, the uniformity of the backlight is 100x better. It actually looks like the illustration on their site! The intensity is made to match the stock lighting.

I guess only time can tell just how good the repair is, but I figure with the lifetime guarantee they offer, you can't really go wrong.

Last edited by Oubadah; 11-13-2010 at 04:22 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Oubadah:
1 of 19 (07-04-2017), CatoBT (01-02-2011), Troy (09-21-2020), Z55 (03-31-2023)
Old 04-11-2015, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Apologies for resurrecting an older thread, but I was curious if there were any experiences with the two oft-mentioned vendors that offer clock rebuilding services:

Modulemaster

95 96 97 Jag Jaguar XJ6 XJR XJ12 X300 LCD Clock Rebuild Repair | eBay

German Audio Tech

Jaguar 1994 97 XJ6 XJR X300 Clock LCD Display Hazard Switch Pixel Repair Service | eBay

Anyone have any personal experience with either?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Hi Al,

I had my clock module rebuilt several years ago by Modulemaster and can attest to the veracity of Oubadah's claims.....except that part about renewing all the other incandescent backlights in the module. They must've quit that between when he dealt with them and when I sent mine in! Seat heater switch backlighting was inoperative upon its return. If I recall, the turnaround time was about a week.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (04-14-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

I had mine done by Sidmaster. It looks great (if slightly different in brightness to my worn our A/C unit) and Damone was very patient with all my annoying questions.

??? JAGUAR XJ6 XJR X300 LCD REPAIR SERVICE (CLOCK DISPLAY) 94-97, SIDMASTER ??? | eBay

49 UK pounds plus outbound postage.

al_roethlisberger (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll probably be pulling mine out this weekend or next and getting it on the way to Modulemaster soon.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

I sent my clock to Module Master and had a very positive experience. The clock came back quickly, the work looked great (in fact looked completely OEM) and was packed very well.

Upon hooking it up, the clock and new LCD lighting worked great. I did have one minor problem with one of the incandescent bulbs being intermittent, but a quick call to their warantee number had their very friendly staff immediately offer to send me a replacement bulb for free. I received the bulb in a couple days. Great customer service!

Highly recommended

Old 07-31-2015, 05:11 PM
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Like everyone else, it seems, I had good luck with Module Master and would recommend them.

Unbeknownest to me, they had accidentally overcharged me and sent me an email to me saying so and crediting my credit card. I liked that a lot!

al_roethlisberger (07-31-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Received 86 Likes on 22 Posts

They fixed my clock as well. Module Master was very professional and quick. There is a small issue sometimes when all I can see is 88:88 but that tends to go away after driving for a few minutes. Since I also seem to have an issue with the AC module, I think the problem may come from the wrong voltage going into it. At any rate, they offer a warranty with their work, so I still have some time to make sure it works as it should.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

The only thing I've noticed is that they seem to use some aftermarket/generic replacement blue incandescent bulbs used elsewhere than the LCD that are slightly dimmer and inconsistent than OEM. I had an issue with one of the replacement blue bulbs leaking white light, and had an OEM bulb to test. It was then very apparent that the OEM bulb gave a much more uniform and bright light that matched other controls in the car.

To be fair, one of the four blue bulbs they used looks as good as OEM, but the other three and one replacement they sent do not. So it's either a marginal batch of bulbs or the manufacturer isn't quite up to spec.... literally and figuratively. And also to be fair, the difference in lighting intensity from other controls like the A/C module isn't extreme, but is noticeable. I'm admittedly picky

The aftermarket bulbs can be identified by their plastic base. The OEM are color coded, so the blue bulbs have a blue base, where the aftermarket ones have a black base. Also the OEM have a single slot for a screwdriver to unlock them, and the leads are soldered. The aftermarket have a "+" on the bottom for the screwdriver and the leads are not soldered.

I've let MM know so they have an opportunity to look into the supplier of their bulbs.

But again, bottom line MM has been great to work with in every way. I'd recommend them completely.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Received 86 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a follow up: the unit actually broke down about a year after the repair. I sent it back to MM with a copy of the original invoice and they fixed it and returned it to me in 3 days, no questions asked. It's been working great ever since.

The following 3 users liked this post by Guillaume:
aholbro1 (07-02-2017), motorcarman (07-02-2017), Oubadah (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Guillaume
This is a follow up: the unit actually broke down about a year after the repair. I sent it back to MM with a copy of the original invoice and they fixed it and returned it to me in 3 days, no questions asked. It's been working great ever since.
Thanks for the follow up.

I'll just add that both of my repaired clocks are still working ~7 years later, although admittedly one of the vehicles has had relatively little use in that time.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Question Does your clock show "PM"? Mine only shows "AM" in 12 hr mode.

I had mine repaired by MM a bit over 2 years ago now I think, and it is still working fine.... I think

So question: Does your clock show "PM" in 12 hr mode? Mine only shows "AM" in 12 hr mode, not "PM".

Old 07-04-2017, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
So question: Does your clock show "PM" in 12 hr mode? Mine only shows "AM" in 12 hr mode, not "PM".
Yes, PM is shown on both.

al_roethlisberger (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Oubadah
Yes, PM is shown on both.
Hrmm, I was afraid of that. Sounds like my clock may be starting to act up again even after repair then as mine now only shows "AM" not "PM" in the LCD.

Anyone else have this issue?

Old 07-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up for Modulemaster. I had my clock repaired about 2 years ago, and after sending them an email about the LCD issue ("PM" no longer displaying) they said to just send it in and they'd take care of it under warranty.

Now, before I do so, can I get another confirmation or two that I'm not losing my mind and waste MM's time... that the clock should indeed display "PM" in 12 hour mode, just as it displays "AM"?

Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Al, I've been on 24 hr setting, but switched over in response to your thread, here. Yesterday, I confirmed that my Module-Master repaired clock boldly displays "AM" and "PM" (in due course, of coarse)

Old 07-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Al, I've been on 24 hr setting, but switched over in response to your thread, here. Yesterday, I confirmed that my Module-Master repaired clock boldly displays "AM" and "PM" (in due course, of coarse)
Thanks, and wouldn't-you-know-it.... the "PM" miraculously showed back up today! HA!

Well, that just tells me it is failing, so probably need to get it re-fixed.

MM confirmed that there is a 5 year warranty on their work

Old 07-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Ouch! I was just coming to this thread to see if the warranty was listed or ask if anyone knew what it was....because yesterday....the right-most digit was missing a few bars here and there. Today, it is ok. I don't remember exactly when I sent that one off to MM, but thinking it was right at 5 yrs ago! Maybe they'll give me some consideration for having had two refurbished....
Maybe they'll also take pity on me as they couldn't be bothered to renew the seat-heater illumination bulbs as they seem to have done for the rest of you lot?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Was wondering if one can remove the clock unit, one can consider a few more options:
(1) repair the LCD clock by replacing the ribbon and light bulbs (DIY kit available on eBay);
(2) replace the LCD panel entirely with an aftermarket unit using original wiring (some skills needed)
(3) replace the LCD panel with a self-powered LCD clock (dead cheap on eBay).

Here is a detailed write-up with pictures from the other forum showing how to remove and replace the LCD panel.
Jaguar X300 GUIDE to: Replacing a clock in an X300 (Blue LCD)

I don't want to mess with the original wiring so would be inclined to try the 3rd option. I remember a member tried this and had a write-up here, but cannot find it now). Apart from saving cost and the trouble sending off the unit for a few days (would be weeks in my case), the new LCD clock can be easily replaced the same way when it fails. However, would need time to source an LCD panel that has about the same display length of the original and with a similar colour display.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, you can do all of those things.... but for me it was worth $100 just to have someone do it that knew what they were doing, and had already done the research to find the correct LEDs that dim and match the stock bulb color.

I also like to maintain the OEM look, so an aftermarket clock wasn't something I was interested in doing.

Quick Reply: Get Your X300 clock Fixed! (ModuleMaster)