XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

?Grill options? Black seems boring...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Question ?Grill options? Black seems boring...

My 1997 XJ6 has what I consider to be a boring black grill.

In another thread I saw a grill where it was chromed just like the surround (the XJ sport not available in the USA?).

Someone else in yet another thread pondered about the mesh grille but another person thought that would look terrible when the surround itself is chromed instead of painted body color. Perhaps not so bad if the mesh was black instead of chromed... Hmmm, aren't there higher end British sedans with chrome surround and grill?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XJ6 sport grill.pdf (2.87 MB, 167 views)

Last edited by weisberg; 10-20-2014 at 09:26 PM. Reason: add a picture
Old 10-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Default Mesh grill + shiny surround WAS on XJR6

In answer to my own question, and in contrast to the person who advised against a shiny mesh XJR grill with a shiny surround (vs painted), the shiny mesh grill and shiny surround WAS an option from the factory and it looks just fine to me. Picture attached from a current eBay auction on a 1997 XJR 6 (same year as my XJ6).

No the big question is vendors to buy this from.

Anyone besides Mina Gallery I should consider?

Attached Thumbnails ?Grill options? Black seems boring...-front-grill-wire-mesh-shiny-shiny-surround-i-want.jpg  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

You could also keep an eye out for a salvage XJR grill. It might take a while, but they do show up at salvage yards every so often.

I wouldn't mind a lower grill that matches the top. My A/C condenser has taken some pretty serious rock hits in 16 years apparently.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
In answer to my own question, and in contrast to the person who advised against a shiny mesh XJR grill with a shiny surround (vs painted), the shiny mesh grill and shiny surround WAS an option from the factory and it looks just fine to me. Picture attached from a current eBay auction on a 1997 XJR 6 (same year as my XJ6). No the big question is vendors to buy this from. Anyone besides Mina Gallery I should consider?
I've read some bad things about the one from the Mina Gallery, others will hopefully chime in.

The following users liked this post:
weisberg (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Default Coventry West has XKR grills too

Coventry West has both aftermarket grills and original with the original being far more expensive. Still no word from Jaguar Heaven, they are consistent at being slow re email...

Old 10-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Default ? XJ6 sport grill

Here is one I noticed in another thread. I like that the grill is chromed and not simply black as mine is. Is this pic of an XJ6 "sport grill"?

Attached Thumbnails ?Grill options? Black seems boring...-grill-xj6-sport.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Mine is an X300 Sport and the standard factory grille is a chrome surround with colour coded tooth comb insert. I've since fitted the chrome mesh inserts from Mina, they are stainless and look great IMO. Everyone has their own opinion as to whether chrome, black or colour coded finishes on the grille surround and / or inserts looks best, it's a matter of personal taste!

The only problem I found with the Mina kit is the small alum. brackets as supplied aren't fabricated to quite the right angle for a neat fit. I threw those and made my own, still using the tiny SS screws supplied by Mina which are sized just right to hold the mesh in place without looking too prominent. The Mina inserts are a intentionally a tight fit, so a bit of gentle tweaking and patience is required.

I explored the option of a used XJR grille but they were a hell of a lot more expensive locally than the Mina after-market, even after paying postage from the U.S.! If you're staying with the chrome surround grille (again IMO only) I think the chrome inserts look best.

Mina also have a matching chrome mesh insert for the lower grille/intake section. I haven't bothered with that so far.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails ?Grill options? Black seems boring...-jag-077.jpg  
weisberg (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

I'm really liking the chrome+mesh.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Default ?Coventry West after-market mesh grill?

Coventry West has used OEM grills and after market for significantly less.

Anyone buy the mesh grill from Coventry?

Old 10-30-2014, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by plums
I'm really liking the chrome+mesh.
Yep, that is what mine is

Apparently the 1997 Titanium XJR's got chrome on the grille surround and rear boot/trunk trim versus being body colored as most other XJRs.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
My 1997 XJ6 has what I consider to be a boring black grill.

In another thread I saw a grill where it was chromed just like the surround (the XJ sport not available in the USA?).

Someone else in yet another thread pondered about the mesh grille but another person thought that would look terrible when the surround itself is chromed instead of painted body color. Perhaps not so bad if the mesh was black instead of chromed... Hmmm, aren't there higher end British sedans with chrome surround and grill?
In the USA, 1997 XJ6 ALL had black vanes. But prior to that, only XJ12 had them. It was a distinguishing feature that was lost at MY 1997.

My preference is to preserve the XJ12 originality, and I like the contrast against the chrome surround. On the other hand, Ive replaced the standard chrome vanes of the 96 xj6 with aftermarket mesh, and really like the look with the chrome surround.

To each his own... It is fun to personalize.

As for the black grille vanes, it seems Jaguar had a bunch left over since the XJ12 hadn't sold so well, in addition to the MY 97 XJ12 being cancelled in the USA. So they decided to put them on all the MY 97 XJ6! That's my theory.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:20 PM

The black grille vanes being standard on the V12 is a surprise so thanks for clarifying as I guessed it was the mark of a "base (?)" XJ6. I want shiny vanes or the mesh.

Anyone know where I could find a source for the shiny vanes such as the one above for the XJ sport above that was overseas from me?

The only issue with mesh is a social one whereby some find it not just aesthetic but a marker of increased power and to do so without a power increase commensurate to an XJR 6 makes one a fake or poseur. I can ignore that even as I consider speedier upgrades I will write about in another thread

Last edited by weisberg; 11-01-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Extra word
Old 11-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Jaguar has a long history of adorning various models with mesh grilles, as have several other marques such as Bentley. I don't see mesh as being the exclusive property of XJR's. Jaguar were happy to designate my model as "XJ Sport". They factory fitted it with sports suspension and the XJR interior, and gave it 3 designating badges (on the boot lid and B pillars). As far as I'm concerned that's enough to make her eligible for a mesh grille!!

Glad you're prepared to overlook your potential critics for fitting a mesh grille on a "non XJR". I think it's reasonable to to assert that all models are to some extent embedded with the inherent Jaguar sporting DNA, it is synonymous with the marque. Life is too short, if you want mesh why not just fit it and enjoy it?

weisberg (11-05-2014)