XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Hard Start problem 96 XJR please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hard Start problem 96 XJR please help.

My 96 xjr useto start right away with no problems, even while the valve cover was leaking oil into the plugs.... Anyway I decided to fix a lot of stuff on her and now after replacing the octopus hose and valve cover and all new coils packs plus plugs. She is have a hard time starting and I don't know why..

Could it be because I took the untake off while fixing the hose? Did I forget something?

Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM

The does start however. I just have to floor the gas pedal and keep cranking. Then it starts and runs very good. Please help me

Old 08-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

are you using original champion plugs and is the gap correct?

Old 08-18-2013, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Did you disturb the Cam Position Sensor (the circular item above the power steering pump)? That would cause your exact symptoms. Terribly hard to start, but once started, normal running! It is very sensitive to any adjustment and the ECU would have trouble synchronizing with it on start-up. Worth a try- give it a tiny adjustment either direction until you get normal starting.

*Not to be confused with the Crankshaft Position Sensor on the front of the engine (CKPS).*

Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Sikfc3s
Could it be because I took the untake off while fixing the hose? Did I forget something?

Yes.

If not the intake then something else that was disturbed.

Changing the lower hose is very invasive as you well know. The idea that something was left loose or unplugged....or even got damaged along the way....it entirely possible. Considering the sequence of events I'd carefully backtrack over all the steps. I'll wager something will jump out at you. Loose air intake hose, not-fully-seated connector, etc.

That's not a criticism of your work. It could happen to anybody.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-18-2013, 05:21 PM

Plus are not champs they are ngk but I've been using these go a while now and I had the same ones before all the work I put in the car they come pre gapped.

When I was removing some of the wiring harness to remove the intake I did move around the wiring that runs to the cam position sensor I kinda pulled on it a hit. But don't you have to unscrew it to even move it? And what's this black box above the cps that runs to the intake box?

I made sure I plugged everything in under the intake I triple checked it also. No worries doug i appreciate the help.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated

Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 PM

Ok so I went back to the garage and brain stormed about what it could be. I looked through the engine harness by the injectors and I found one wire that was completely snapped in half. So I spliced the harness and fixed it. The car started right away with no problems.

New problem:
But now for some reason the the ignition won't turn the car over. I put power to the starter and it turns over and starts the car with no problems. What could this be?

Also my headlights will not turn on now. Nor do my fog lights

Old 08-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

New problem:
But now for some reason the the ignition won't turn the car over. I put power to the starter and it turns over and starts the car with no problems. What could this be?

When you try to start is the "P" on the gearshift indicator glowing red? If not, jiggle the gearshift about until it does, then try again.

If it IS glowing red check that you didn't disturb any wires at the relays behind the left headlight. One of them is the starter relay

Also my headlights will not turn on now. Nor do my fog lights
Not sure.....look around. The headlight control modules are near the headlights I think. Anything look disturbed?

Cheers
DD

Old 08-18-2013, 08:58 PM

Thanks Doug. I'm going to do that tonight.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 PM

The P is glowing when I turn the key but it still doesnt turn the car over.

Checked the relays and fuses.no fuses were blown and the relays didn't look damaged and none were loose.

Head lights don't come on nor do the high beams, blinkers only come on when you hit the hazard button.
Also the main dome light and the lights in the back aren't working. But the smaller lights to the left and the right of the main light do...

Power lock doors aren't responding when I lock the car either.

I'm sooooo confused. Everything was working earlier today.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Tried disconnecting the battery for a while? Give all the electronics a chance to reset.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

The common factor in this may be the Body Processor Module. It controls lighting, indicators, wipers and a signal that is output from this module enables and disables cranking. It is located on the side of the transmission tunnel up behind the glovebox. Locking is a separate Security and Locking Control Module located in the trunk near the filler neck. I would start with checking the Body Processor Module and associated wiring.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:57 PM

@SleekJag12 : Yea I disconnected the battery for a couple hours to let it charge.

I'm going to to check that body processor module V126man.

The car now won't start. I pulled the coils and checked the plugs I had a warranty on then so I went and hot another set, so those are new. I then went ahead and checked to see if the coild were firing the plugs. So I left a coil sitting out and left a plug in it to see if it would spark while I turned the car over.

To turn the car over I put power directly to the starter from its plug.

Now what do I do?

Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

By disconnecting and reconnecting the battery you may have triggered security immobilisation. Did the alarm go off when you reconnected the battery?
When you turn on the ignition before turning the key to the start position all dash lights go through a check sequence that ends with the Check Engine light in the lower left still illuminated. If this is not illuminated the car is disabled.
See this recent thread that describes symptoms that are very similar to yours that were fixed by replacing the Body Processor Module (before your latest problem) -
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cessor-100218/

Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 PM

The alarm didn't go off when I reconnected the battery....

The check engine light stays illuminated.

I'm to the point of taking a baseball bat to this car and burming it after.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:18 PM

I pulled my body processor module box and opened it up. There were no burned circuits or anything that would say it was fried. But there was a light white film of some kind of residue on the bottom half of the circuit panel.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 PM

Quick question. What does it mean when your lights all of them on the exterior of the car flash on and off while the car is comopletely off?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I suspect it means something is upsetting the security module, but I have no idea what!

You don't suppose the car has been under water do you?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The alarm didn't go off when I reconnected the battery....

Do you hear any beep at all when opening/locking the car with the fob?

First what I thaught after reading some posts for you about this problem is that the alarm is triggering but there is no sound?

Quick Reply: Hard Start problem 96 XJR please help.