XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Having Electrical Starting problems XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Having Electrical Starting problems XJ6

I have a 1995 XJ6 that has been giving me some problems starting once in a while. Let me start by saying the vehicle has a brand new starter and battery.

Once in a while when I turn the key to the on position I notice that the volt gauge only goes up to 9. When this happens I get a clicking sound once I ingauge the key to start the engine. The clicking sounds like the starter. Sometimes however when the gauge is at the 9 it will crank over however if you don't give the vehicle any gas to raise the idle it will shut off. Once the vehicle is running for a few seconds the volt gauge goes up to around 14. Now most of the time when I turn the key to the on position the volt gauge goes up to 12 where it is supposed to, and the vehicle starts and runs fine not needing any additional throttle to keep it running.

Any idea on where to start looking for this problem? I have checked the battery cables and they all look good. Thanks

Old 02-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

The clicking will be the starter, due to it not getting enough juice when you are at 9 volts.

When you checked the battery cables, did you check both ends especially the negative cable connection to ground.

Also when you try to start the car try to get into the habbit of having absolutely nothing electrical switched on before it fires;

EG no lights, no fans/ air con, nothing at all.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Is there an earth strap between the engine and the chassis, this could cause a similar problem if it doesn't have a good connection.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a 1996 XJ6 in the past, and the original Jag. battery finally gave up the ghost during my ownership. You say you are using a new battery. Establish that it's fully charged by applying a digital voltmeter across the terminals (nowhere else!) and subjecting it to a heavy load, like all the headlamps. There should be hardly any downward movement, say a reading of 12.5volt min. Next, if this is ok, use my dodge/trick. Hold the starter 'on' for a good few seconds, then immediately go round feeling all the terminals on battery, all the various nuts and bolts associated, i.e. the main connector to starter, the earth/ground strap from engine to body, the grounded end to body of the negative battery lead. If one of these is warm, you have a bad connexion there that needs to be undone, filed to bright metal, then redone with proper torque. If the battery terminals prove to be the culprit, with a round file, file the inside of connector to bright metal, apply some grease to stop it happening again (sulphation), then reconnect. Inspect the thick but flexible wires into the connectors that the soldering hasn't gone 'dry'. Resolder with a suitable small gas blowlamp and plenty of flux, being mindful to put the battery out of the way for safety. When all is working correctly, a good battery with good connexions will maintain 9volt or so during cranking with starter motor. A current of 400 amps or so might be expected when cranking a big engine, esp. if it's diesel. The problem you have is not insurmountable...
Leedsman.

The following users liked this post:
doc (01-12-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Angry Having electrical problem starting my X-type

I have a Jaguar x-ype 2004 diesel. It was running fine. I parked the car. When I returned, I turned the ignition and the usual lights came on as normal. I waited, as usual, until the indicators went off. I then turned the key further to start the engine and nothing happened. No click from the starter. Nothing. does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by jagjaz
I have a Jaguar x-ype 2004 diesel. It was running fine. I parked the car. When I returned, I turned the ignition and the usual lights came on as normal. I waited, as usual, until the indicators went off. I then turned the key further to start the engine and nothing happened. No click from the starter. Nothing. does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?

Best to post your question in the "X-Type" section. Or perhaps one of the admins will see this and move it for you.

This section is for the older cars. Those of us (well, me, at very least) who frequent this section probably are not familiar with the ins-n-outs of your model.

Welcome aboard, by the way.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Jagjaz -- IF your Jag is automatic, dead silence when you try to start is often caused by a worn "park" interlock switch or its linkage. Often, banging the lever into "park" as hard as you can with only your hand will make it start. Rectification is usually pretty obvious and easy. It's always worth a try with an automatic Jag. If yours is manual....
Leedsman.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:13 AM

Thank Leedsman and all of you who responded to my cry form help. As you have probably noticed. I am new to this site and finding my way around. Great site. Keep up the good work