XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Hello & factory phone question

Old 12-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Hello & factory phone question

Hello Chaps.

Firstly thank you very much for the great information on this site. It helped me loads with my purchase and subsequent fettling of my new XJ6 Sovereign. I'm over the moon with the car and have been spending many a cold night out in the garage getting to know the old girl.

Anyway, I've tried very hard but I'm a bit stumped regarding the factory phone which my car has installed. The phone works a treat, you can make and receive calls but the audio is not routed to the stereo, you can only hear the audio on the handset.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? It seems so close to working perfectly. I have had the armrest and sky slope out and there seems to be a single RJ45 for the phone and nothing obvious regarding muting the stereo and routing the audio to it.

I have checked the secret menu on the phone to ensure phone mute is active.

Any thoughts very greatly received.

Andrew.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 365 Posts

Andrew,
Is it still the factory headunit/stereo which is installed?
I am amazed you can still make calls, and am wondering whether a previous owner might have patched in some more modern phone kit to support the handset, and not bothered to patch in the stereo.
Do you have the premium/Harmon Kardon stereo system? Much more difficult to patch in aftermarket systems to it, but not impossible.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:18 AM

No one was more surprised than me to see this thing still functioning. I have the original manual for the phone and it's digital (GSM) on a curly cable. I've made sure the various volumes are set high and not muted but nothing when you ring it (it just says 'call' on the display).

Yes it's the factory fitted Alpine radio. It's interesting what you say about maybe patching something in because there are 2 microphones in the car, one on the drivers side A pillar and one near the interior mirror (only the interior mirror one works, the other is disconnected under the armrest).

There is the usual SIM card holder and other gubbins in the boot by the CD changer, aerial on the rear window.

This is the car, with pictures of the phone in place.

https://www.berlinetta-auctions.co.u...reign-xj6-lwb/

Old 12-16-2016, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member

Andrew,
While admiring your car in the photographs, it seemed very familiar, and when I saw the photo of the invoice, the penny dropped. I know of this car, and without going into details, by virtue of his being a former Secretary of State for defence, Viscount Youngers cars had various security related modifications. I would not be surprised if these included having the handsfree operation deleted. At one point, it would definitely have had more than one phone, and the car would frequently have been chauffeur driven, with the handset being used from the backseat, with no requirement for sound through the speakers.
It would be worth having a look behind the headunit to see whether any modifications are apparent. Look closely, as the mods were "professionally" carried out...

Old 12-16-2016, 06:39 AM

Fascinating.

The history was what sold me on this particular car and having had the radio out to fix a rattle I can confirm various 'professional' wiring modifications. Well you've solved my problem, much obliged. If the phone was modified for personal handset only calls for the Secretary Of Defence then that's how it will stay.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

There was assorted other equipment, including some to allow the vehicle to be reliably tracked.

The following users liked this post:
LockNumber25 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 07:05 AM

Probably best not use it for that 90's back job I was planning then.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:09 AM

*bank

Old 12-16-2016, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

If you check the invoice again, you will realise the car has already undertaken quite a bit of bank related work!

Old 12-16-2016, 05:05 PM

I'm still a little curious as to getting this thing to ring when it gets a call. The handset doesn't appear to have a ringer speaker. Does anyone have any insight to the wiring going to the handset and whether it would be possible to tap into that to set a retro fit ringer off?

Old 12-17-2016, 03:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

Originally Posted by LockNumber25
Hello Chaps. .......
Welcome to the forum Andrew,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 12-17-2016, 04:54 AM

Hi Graham - sorry about that & done.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (12-17-2016)