XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Hello guys, this is my first post with few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello guys, this is my first post with few questions!

I have been lurking around here for a while doing searches and what not looking for answers. Any way I thought I will go ahead and post them.

I have a 1995 XJR and I had it for about 8 years. I bought it with 60K and now it has 90K miles on it. It has the usual issues like bad trans mount and rear shocks and so on. The engine does use up coolant, I do not see anything leaked on to the floor......So I don’t know if it has a slightly blown head gasket but the engine does not smoke either. The car has been in storage for the past three years and I am thinking about get her back on the road.

Prior to storing it, around 85K miles the tensioner pulley for the SC broke and obviously took the SC belt out with it. I drove the car as an NA car for about 5K miles or so. about 6 months later I bought all the parts fixed it. Well after putting the belt back on the SC, if I hammer the car or go into boost, the bucks as though its lacking fuel or something is holding it back and falls on its face. It does the same thing if I try to rev in park over 4k to 5K. I am thinking it may have a bad fuel filter or clogged Catalytic converter or something.
Question number one, I read some where that there is secondary fuel pump? I will start with the fuel filter first I guess and if you guys can guide me where to look next.

Question number two. Where is my coolant going? Car doesn’t not over heat nor the temp gauge ever go over the half way mark.

Question number three. Who has the best price for the tranny mount.

Question number four. If the Catalytic converter is removed, is there any gain in power.

Thank you guys and sorry for all the questions!

Prasad

Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 AM

No one?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked V6
I have been lurking around here for a while doing searches and what not looking for answers. Any way I thought I will go ahead and post them.

I have a 1995 XJR and I had it for about 8 years. I bought it with 60K and now it has 90K miles on it. It has the usual issues like bad trans mount and rear shocks and so on. The engine does use up coolant, I do not see anything leaked on to the floor......So I don’t know if it has a slightly blown head gasket but the engine does not smoke either. The car has been in storage for the past three years and I am thinking about get her back on the road.

Prior to storing it, around 85K miles the tensioner pulley for the SC broke and obviously took the SC belt out with it. I drove the car as an NA car for about 5K miles or so. about 6 months later I bought all the parts fixed it. Well after putting the belt back on the SC, if I hammer the car or go into boost, the bucks as though its lacking fuel or something is holding it back and falls on its face. It does the same thing if I try to rev in park over 4k to 5K. I am thinking it may have a bad fuel filter or clogged Catalytic converter or something.
Question number one, I read some where that there is secondary fuel pump? I will start with the fuel filter first I guess and if you guys can guide me where to look next.

Question number two. Where is my coolant going? Car doesn’t not over heat nor the temp gauge ever go over the half way mark.

Question number three. Who has the best price for the tranny mount.

Question number four. If the Catalytic converter is removed, is there any gain in power.

Thank you guys and sorry for all the questions!

Prasad
Well, lessee..........

1a. After running so long without the supercharger, the ECM and fueling adaptions are most certainly screwed up. It tried to adapt to life without it, and then you gave it back. Now the adaptions must be zeroed out. The ONLY device I know of that will do that is the older Jaguar PDU. I have an XJR like this one and I have to reset them once or twice a year. That means you probably have to find that rare dealer that still has one working. In the menu it is called "Reset Adaptive Terms".

1b. Yes, you have two fuel pumps. #1 runs all the time, #2 kicks in at around 4000RPM and goes off at about 3200RPM.

2. I suspect there is a leak at the thermostat housing joint to the cylinder head, or at the water rail joints to the block, or both. These leaks are slow, but consistent, and usually it evaporates due to engine heat before it can leak to the ground. Plus they are hard to see, takes rubber arms and a mirror.

3. No idea!

4. Not really, wouldn't be noticeable to the driver hardly. Plus it would mess up the engine management. Not worth it, at least to me.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Thank you so much Steve!

Prasad