XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Help needed-'96 X300 won't shift out of park!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Help needed-'96 X300 won't shift out of park! FIXED

Hi guys-appreciate your assistance.
Car was running fine. Pulled into shopping center and parked. Came out after shopping and car started like normal but it would not shift out of park. Had it towed home to check online for any tips but don't see any readily popping up at me.

Car has less than 78,000 miles and had been running fine except the anti-lock ( C1095 code0I think ) light coming on which I had the code pulled and cleared.
Thanks for your time!

Last edited by JonnyO; 06-20-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Repaired
Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Did you hear the gear release solenoid engage when you applied the footbrake? This solenoid is located beneath the ski slope and can be manually tripped open by removing the black torx head plastic screw, located towards the top left corner ( RHD car) of the j gate.Unscrew this and insert a long thin screwdriver or similar and you can push the solenoid lever down, thus releasing the gearshift brake. Hope this helps.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I had a similar problem. Couldn't shift out of park. In my case, repeated jabs to the brake pedal would eventually result in the "click" of the interlock solenoid allowing me to move the gearshift.

I noticed that when the problem occured the brake lights were simultaneously inoperative.

Replacing the brake light switch solved the problem in my case.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default J Gate unlock Steps

using a start wrench or screwdriver locate the screw on the j gate shifter panel should be upper left of park P unscrew this and put in safe place get ready to drive place your key into the hole and shift it out of park into Nuetral N remove the key and start car in N and you can drive it, i suggest getting it looked at to see why this is happening. Also if J gate linkage cable is broken this will not help because the shifter will move loose in the J gate. Hope this helps

The following users liked this post:
10right (04-12-2018)
Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 PM

PS be careful not to strip the screw if its plastic like most jags after 1998 are

Old 06-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for all of replies.
I guess I had the right idea when I removed the plastic plug on the shifter yesterday. The pen I tried to use did nothing. Today, however, Crystal's key suggestion worked! It wouldn't readily go out of gear but with some fiddling with the key it dropped it out of gear and I was able to start it!
I figure it's the brake light switch ( though all light up ) so I'm going to try that tomorrow.
I'll post the outcome.
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyO
I figure it's the brake light switch ( though all light up ) so I'm going to try that tomorrow.
I'll post the outcome.

Do what you want but if the brake lights operate I doubt that the brake light switch is the problem

Cheers
DD

JonnyO (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 AM
sbc
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Bad relay or corroded connector?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Cool Hmm...

Ok. Where to start.
When this first happened there were no dash/warning lights lit up.
When I figured maybe it was related to the brake lights I pulled 'em, one looked kinda bad so I replaced it. Then came the bulb indicator light...oy.
So now I am at warp speed on a bad day ( Lemony Snickets ) and have it
towed.
Bummed out Sunday.
This morning I get some verve back and decide to replace ALL the bulbs.
I open up the cover and look...wth? Why is there a SINGLE FILAMENT bulb
in the brake light slot?! Oh I didn't! Uh, yes, I did. I replace with correct bulb and PRESTO!, indicator off! Then for poops and giggles I decided to try shifting...wait! YOU'VE GOT TO BE )(&*NG ME!
Yep.
Shifts just fine now.
I tell you fellas I didn't want to even post this because it exposes my baffoonery.
But I'll suck it up and swallow my pride just so you all can have a good laugh.
( Plus, I hate it when an OP never comes back to fess up to OP error. )
So again, to all, my undying gratitude to your suggestions.
Now I'm not DEAD POSITIVE it was the bulb that caused the shifting problem 'cause like I said, initially there was no indicator lit up.
I just know that I checked it again this A.M.-no shift and bulb indicator lit. Replaced bulb-shifts and indicator light out.

Last edited by JonnyO; 06-18-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:24 PM
sbc

No laughing here. I know very well how tough it can be to troubleshoot electrical gremlins and often the answer is too crazy to imagine. Like the older BMW's where the car would stop charging, if the filament of the charge indicator lamp burned out! Or when my battery kept dying on me, no matter what. I opened the hood again and again checking for errors, measuring everything, and found no drain whatsoever. Until I discovered the former owner hooked up the engine bay light wrong, so it lit when the hood was closed! Got a million stories like that, like most of us here do. So welcome to the club

Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Thumbs down DAng it! Jag Gremlin!

Won't shift again.
But the brake lights work!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sogood
Did you hear the gear release solenoid engage when you applied the footbrake? This solenoid is located beneath the ski slope and can be manually tripped open by removing the black torx head plastic screw, located towards the top left corner ( RHD car) of the j gate.Unscrew this and insert a long thin screwdriver or similar and you can push the solenoid lever down, thus releasing the gearshift brake. Hope this helps.

And I did hear it this A.M.-but not now. ( when it won't shift out of park )

Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Default J gate Rotary switch or N switch

J first let me tell you if I had a nickle for evrytime I sent hours troubleshooting the most obvious problem I would own Jaguar, trial and error my firend because these cars do not function like others, I do want to tell you that you need to check the rotary and Neutral switch in your Jaguar, your Jaguar has a brain and trust me shes very smart and if you tell her that you received the security warning and chose to bypass it by placing the key in the shifter she will learn to ignore that problem until its really bad, we still must make sure that the loose wire is the trouble, generally I have found that if the electrical has an issue a reset of the imobalizer is required however I did not see you state that occurred so there may be two troubles occurring at the same time, not abnormal for her. let me know if you need any help with that and good luck.

Originally Posted by JonnyO
And I did hear it this A.M.-but not now. ( when it won't shift out of park )

Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
sbc

I'd say an easy first thing to try is to swap the relay for a known good relay, ie one of the others the car use all the time.

Oldcarguy (02-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Talking

FIXED!

So I took it to 'my Jag guy' this A.M.
He wrote: Diagnose intermittent shift lockout-loose connection on shift lockout solenoid.
Said there was a broken tab (?) and that he put some kind of glue/sealant ( sorry-can't remember the word he used ) to keep it in.
Out an hour's labor cost but other than that I'm happy to know when I want to drive somewhere, I can!

Brad Livengood (12-18-2012)
Old 12-02-2014, 05:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's happening to me now! 1996 XJ6

I'm experiencing the same issue. I'd like to take a stab at it myself rather than taking it to my mechanic but, I do not have the best auto repair record. Keeping my fingered crossed. I'm gonna start with the lights. Questions to follow.