XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

How many people use their x300 for everyday use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
Hey Al, what kind of mpg's do you get driving that many miles? Is it mainly highway miles? I have about a 75mile commute everyday so I'm hoping to get every mpg I can get out of my 97 XJR6
Well, right now the trip computer is reporting an average 18.6mpg pretty consistently. For the moment I am trusting the computer as I haven't done "the math" myself after a fillup yet. But I plan to.

That sounds a bit low, as I did get 22mpg average when I drove it back from Houston, TX to NC.

However, I've been doing a fair amount of city driving since I started driving it up to Raleigh every day, and that takes a toll.... especially as a new owner I tend to "get on it" a bit right now just for fun So my city mpg has got to be in the single digits at times.

The car also could benefit from some minor tuning I'm sure, and I'll be fitting an "andybracket" in about a month. That along with what I hope will be a little less daily driving around the city should get the mpg back up to around 20-21 which is my goal and comfort zone.

The supercharged 1995 Buick Riviera I've been driving to work over the last 18 months got a reliable 21.5mpg on average. And most of that time did include less city driving.

So noting that the XJR can get 22mpg on average from my trip back home, I think that 21ish mpg goal is attainable, again especially once the "andybracket" is added.

And if I go to 245/50-17 tires (see the tramlining thread), that also should increase mpg a bit as those tires are 2.28% larger diameter, and almost an exact match in size to the standard XJ tires diameter.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarXKR
I was just wondering how many people use there x300 or xj40 xj for everyday use still. Please specify which model you have.
Just Curious thanks
I use my 1996 3.2 XJ6 (base) for my everyday 50 mile A road/dual carriageway commute. Had it since January this year and have loved every moment! A fab car. It has quite a few little niggles, but I'm gradually sorting through those and i've just gone over 150,000 miles (270,000 Km).
Mine runs on LPG and has averaged so far 17.3 mpg on LPG (I have had high 20's on petrol), and at 54-64 p/l fuel, that has worked out at an equivalent to running a 34.3 mpg petrol car - although in the last 6 weeks I have been getting much better figures (37-42mpg). I have the Andybracket, and a new exhaust system upto the back boxes. It would take a lot for me to consider a small diesel car for my daily commute.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Daily use ~50Km, weekends ~300Km.
This is a REAL car.
Running a Jaguar on LPG is like dating Kate Moss in burga.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Well, right now the trip computer is reporting an average 18.6mpg pretty consistently. For the moment I am trusting the computer as I haven't done "the math" myself after a fillup yet. But I plan to.

That sounds a bit low, as I did get 22mpg average when I drove it back from Houston, TX to NC.

However, I've been doing a fair amount of city driving since I started driving it up to Raleigh every day, and that takes a toll.... especially as a new owner I tend to "get on it" a bit right now just for fun So my city mpg has got to be in the single digits at times.

The car also could benefit from some minor tuning I'm sure, and I'll be fitting an "andybracket" in about a month. That along with what I hope will be a little less daily driving around the city should get the mpg back up to around 20-21 which is my goal and comfort zone.

The supercharged 1995 Buick Riviera I've been driving to work over the last 18 months got a reliable 21.5mpg on average. And most of that time did include less city driving.

So noting that the XJR can get 22mpg on average from my trip back home, I think that 21ish mpg goal is attainable, again especially once the "andybracket" is added.

And if I go to 245/50-17 tires (see the tramlining thread), that also should increase mpg a bit as those tires are 2.28% larger diameter, and almost an exact match in size to the standard XJ tires diameter.

Thanks for the information. I just picked up the XJR last week but with my XJ6 I was getting about 18/19mpg (which seems kind of low now) with mainly highway driving and some city. I think all highway, I get about 20/21. I had the Andy bracket installed on the xj6 with a CAI.

The XJR is a week old for me so I still have yet to do brand new plugs but hopefully my 13mpg after the first tank was just a fluke and with this tank, I can get a much higher mpg for daily driving.

but then again, I don't go by the trip computer, I calculate my mileage manually with some math

Old 06-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
Thanks for the information. I just picked up the XJR last week but with my XJ6 I was getting about 18/19mpg (which seems kind of low now) with mainly highway driving and some city. I think all highway, I get about 20/21. I had the Andy bracket installed on the xj6 with a CAI.

The XJR is a week old for me so I still have yet to do brand new plugs but hopefully my 13mpg after the first tank was just a fluke and with this tank, I can get a much higher mpg for daily driving.

but then again, I don't go by the trip computer, I calculate my mileage manually with some math

Yeah I need to calculate mine and see how accurate the trip computer is

BTW, what CAI are you using? I was thinking about the Mina, and then modifying it with a heat-shield/box. I've read the various Mina threads, and the good/bad, but think it might be a decent baseline to fabricate something a little better.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger

Yeah I need to calculate mine and see how accurate the trip computer is

BTW, what CAI are you using? I was thinking about the Mina, and then modifying it with a heat-shield/box. I've read the various Mina threads, and the good/bad, but think it might be a decent baseline to fabricate something a little better.

I'm using the Mina CAI Intake but honestly it's not worth the price. They're using a generic cone filter with no name and an elbow. I realized I could've made something a bit better for cheaper. Also I added an extra elbow to put it directly behind my headlights as shown in the pictures. Not sure how well the heat shield works as it's sheet metal but I figured it protects the filter from the dirt being flung from the belts

Attached Thumbnails How many people use their x300 for everyday use?-forumrunner_20140620_192404.png   How many people use their x300 for everyday use?-forumrunner_20140620_192412.png  
The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (06-24-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 97 xj6l

I bought this in 2000 with about 30k miles on it CPO from the dealer for my wife and to be honest I didn't like it that much as I was driving a 740il at the time. But it has grown on me and now has about 110k on it. I'm slowly fixing everything, all the normal stuff, shocks, bushings, radiator, power steering hoses, heater control valve and pump. As it gets older and even with the bad paint on the roof and trunk, I get more compliments on it. I think because design is good and it looks completely different than anything else. I will be getting it painted later this year.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:50 AM
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I drive our X300 VDP every day. In fact, we bought it specifically for that purpose. I live with the bad radio, the imprecise seat locations and the lack of glove box. I enjoy the comfort, the power, reliability and the styling of the car. I get about 17 mpg on average with mixed highway and street driving. My foot is only occasionally heavy so I'm considering changing the O2 sensor (sensors?). We are at 76k miles, having put the last 10 on since we purchased the car last August.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

There's 4...

Originally Posted by Rhett
. My foot is only occasionally heavy so I'm considering changing the O2 sensor (sensors?).

Rhett (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
There's 4...
Swell. :-/

Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhett
Swell. :-/
Don't jump the gun to replace all 4. Even a cheap scan tool will tell you if any, and which, are bad.

Last edited by mgb4tim; 06-24-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Rhett (07-05-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Purchased my '97 X300 Sport 3.2L in late 2011 as a one-owner in great condition. Almost perfect paintwork and interior, only the drivers seat cushion showing signs of wear (I'm happy to call it "patina" and leave it alone!). She has now done 136,000km and currently only gets used once or twice per week. Despite my best efforts and excuses to get behind the wheel as often as possible, I'm only managing to average about 5k per year! By far it's the classiest drive (in every sense), of any car I've owned. I had the headlining replaced and a few common items incl. front bushes & jurid coupling. Everything works except the light in the radio (the LED read out is fine) and the boot lights due to the usual broken wire. Can't be bothered struggling with the wiring, so have fitted an independent battery LED unit in the boot with its own switch - better and brighter than the original lights.

I fitted the Andy bracket and a CAI (with heat /dirt shield) which has really bumped performance. Fuel economy is around 10L/100km (28mpg imperial) on a long highway run, and combined running is around 12.5 L/100km (22mpg). This is the TC measure, I probably need to do a manual measurement to verify.

Cheers,

Old 07-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

my X300 is my daily car
I bought it 16 months ago, it was back and forth to the mechanic first 8 months as I gave it a hard time and unearthed various age-related probems. Now, with new water hoses, diff bearings, front suspension bushes, re-built front shocks, new driveshaft hanger bearing, it has been completely reliable for 9 months.
I have clocked up 24000 km in that time, daily round trip of about 40km
odometer on about 157000km, so almost run in the AJ16 engine.

trouble is, there's this Daimler Century nagging at me, its a 6 litre with 12 of everything.. ..
Daimler Other Century 1996 | Trade Me

Old 07-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Everyday

I drive the 1995 VDP to work everyday, to COSTCO when the need arises, its the only car I have. I do not have the space to store a garage trophy. I bought the car because the lines of the car are classic and I love the way Jaguars drive.

Phillip
1995 Jaguar Vanden Plas

Old 07-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Everyday

I drive the 1995 VDP to work everyday, to COSTCO when the need arises, its the only car I have. I do not have the space to store a garage trophy. I bought the car because the lines of the car are classic and I love the way Jaguars drive. I am getting according to the onboard trip computer 19.4mpg consistently with or without the a/c. Accurate or not, if that number changes dramatically it indicates attention needed. We've not owned the car very long, but we have put 8000 miles of the 96k on it with minimal issues.

Phillip
1995 Jaguar Vanden Plas

Old 07-05-2014, 02:11 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by AL NZ
my X300 is my daily car
I bought it 16 months ago, it was back and forth to the mechanic first 8 months as I gave it a hard time and unearthed various age-related probems. Now, with new water hoses, diff bearings, front suspension bushes, re-built front shocks, new driveshaft hanger bearing, it has been completely reliable for 9 months.
I have clocked up 24000 km in that time, daily round trip of about 40km
odometer on about 157000km, so almost run in the AJ16 engine.

trouble is, there's this Daimler Century nagging at me, its a 6 litre with 12 of everything.. ..
... Because you don't have enough to worry about, you need a V12?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
Seriously? 18k NZ$ equates to, what, $15k USD for a 96 ?!
I'd pass. Not enough 12 of everything to entice me ...

It should be noted the listing closed and did not sell - not surprised.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

caldercay,
that is the 4th listing
price slowly approaching reality. it started at $23,000
I have spoken to the owner, 2 or so months ago.
I like the car, but can pass on it.
I also like XJSes , and the alloy bodied XJRs with 400bhp..
So, I won't fall for it at silly money.

the market for V12 saloons is very limited in NZ - you have to be a real enthusiast. I am lucky to have a local mechanic who loves V12s and looks after a few. He is not intimidated by them like many mechanics.
So a V12 is a real option for me, but I will bide my time. I came close to a gunmetal grey late model 6 litre XJS earlier this year, but again, the seller was in la-la land..

Old 07-07-2014, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

100 Daimler V12 Centuries built. How many do you suppose went to NZ? It's essentially a one-of-a-kind car just about anywhere, let alone NZ!

15k USD might be top of the range, but not outrageous, imho.

Who "needs" a V12? I do!

On topic, I'm going on 7 years and 50k miles with my XJ6 as a near-daily primary use driver.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

My newly acquired 1997 XJ6, 64,000 miles, 1 prior owner, is now my new daily driver. My usual driving is only 5,000 miles/year. The car has always been charming to me, and despite it not having the low-end torque of my prior 2002 XKR coupe, it is a charming vehicle to drive.

Putting on Andy's bracket in next day and very likely his front anti-rollbar drop links in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: How many people use their x300 for everyday use?