XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Ids/vcm 115

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Ids/vcm 115

I'm having issues connecting IDS/VCM with my 95 x300.

I have version 115 (2008 with all updates)

I can see some codes, but when I extend the menus its saying communication errors with computer.

Serial communication failure.

Can anyone help me?

Last edited by Maraud; 12-10-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:01 PM

This car is making me nuts with its faults, still I am not able to fix the instrument panel, I replaced it with another one. Still nothing. Zero. Nada. ABS fault persists after replacing it with a new Sensor.

And now this IDS error.

!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Old 12-12-2017, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Not sure about your scanner issue, but have you checked for a faulty earth connection?
Have a look at the wiring diagram, and see what the faulty systems have in common. I dont know whether they do have anything in common, but for there to be so many faults I am guessing there is a link.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:18 AM

Hey Thanks for your response Countyjag.

Do you mean one of these?

The following users liked this post:
Scotlad (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Any chance that one or more pins on the OBD connector/receiver is/are bent or missing?

Old 12-13-2017, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member

Yes Maraud, those are the earthing points I was referring to. If you look at the wiring diagram and trace back the various faulty components you referred to, and trace where they obtain their earths from, hopefully you will find some commonality and perhaps a loose or dirty connection.
Just to be clear, I take it you have actual problems with the Instrument pack, ABS, etc and not simply error codes relating to them showing on your scanner? The reason I ask is that it is not at all uncommon for various otherwise reputable scanners not to work with the X300, resulting amongst other things, an inability to clear old codes.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:12 AM

Hi,

The problem i had initially was that my IP just stopped functioning when turning the key. When i replug the connector on the back of the IP, it starts working. As soon as I turn off the car and restart it the IP stays offline.

The problem that came later was that I had a rear wheel bearing that need replacement, in order to fix that I had to remove the complete hub. The sensor was completely stuck and had to be drilled out. I replaced it with a newer model from a X308 and used the wires to the old wiring harness from the old sensor. The ABS light stays on now, so im not sure if the sensor is bad or I miss placed the wires in the harness. To figure that out I connect my IDS/VCM module to see the live diagram of the sensors, but I cant connect the car to my ids. I know for a fact that the software is working since i succesfully read out an XK8 a couple weeks ago.

Anyways, Im having alot of trouble fixing these issues, and im kinda stuck.
Also I'm not sure if I need to clear the abs codes in order for it to work again, or if it receives a signal from the new abs sensor the lights will die automatically.

Last edited by Maraud; 12-13-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

Maraud,
As far as your ABS wheel speed sensor is concerned, it is only after a certain VIN number that the sensors are interchangeable with the X300. Before that VIN number, there are different wheel speed sensors for each rear wheel.
If you check the Jaguar classic parts website, the details are there, and might help

Maraud (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:20 AM

Hi Countyjag,

Yes I beleive that is because the wiring harness is different for those vin numbers, but the actual sensor itself should work on both models and vin numbers.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Maraud,

Two points to note:
(1) countyjag was probably referring to my earlier thread pointing out that the ABS wheel sensors of pre-1996 X300s are different from those used in later X300s. See Post #6 of my other thread entitled "Caliper Rebuild Kit".

(2) My IDS/VCM kit (v.118) is unable to scan ABS and airbag sensors on my X300. Forum member cambo said that according to peers who have experience working with the IDS, v.118 is handicapped in these two areas. However, I do not know if v.115 is similarly handicapped.

Last edited by Qvhk; 12-14-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Maraud (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:09 PM

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

However, the sensor i received fits fine in the wheel hub, though the wiring harness was different. What I did was removed the pins from the "new sensor wiring harness" and placed them inside the old wiring harness. Only for a short period of time after replacing the light went out briefly.

What should i do? Have a look again if its placed allright? Switch the wires in the wiring harness?

When I would measure the output with a voltmeter and I receive a signal would this mean the car isnt able to pick it up, even though the sensor might work fine? If so, is my last resort only the expensive ABS sensor from pre 96 models?

Last edited by Maraud; 12-14-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

My IDS v.118 could not read the ABS Module properly and hence cannot clear the DTC. The ABS lights might go away briefly after you fix everything (on start-up the usual checks are performed and you'll know the lights are gone, but dash warning will return. The permanent DTC has to be cleared by a proper device. Mine eventually went away using another an Autologic scanner. What I meant is you may have fixed the ABS problem on your car, but you need to re-scan the car and clear the ABS DTC with another device to confirm that the newly installed ABS sensors are free of problems.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

As you already know, the hole size is not the issue with the wheel speed sensors.
Jaguar classic parts lists VIN number 801672 as the changeover point in terms of wheel speed sensors. X300s prior to that number have different sensors for each rear wheel, but after that number they have a common sensor which is shared with the X308. If you have had to fiddle around with the connectors to get it wired in, I would respectfully suggest you have fitted an incompatible sensor which your ABS module will not like.
As far as clearing errors is concerned, I have found the ABS to be relatively forgiving, in that it seems to start afresh each time the ignition is turned on. It is not uncommon for all to be well when the car is started, but the light comes on once a particular speed is reached (usually no more than 30mph) because the system detects a disparity between the individual wheel speeds. Once the light is on, it will stay on for the remainder of the journey, and ABS is disabled. The process repeats on the next startup, and so on.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:55 AM

I have succesfully read out the codes with wds. I cleared the abs code, but it returned after a short drive.

What I can come up with is the following ;

The new sensor is used from the x308 is placed in a different way then the x300. If you look at pictures from an x308, the sensor with cable is placed towards the front of the car, now the sensor with cable is placed towards the differential.

So I think I might need to turn the sensor 90 degrees to the right. This way it should pickup the speed wheel rotation.

Seems plausible?

Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Maraud,
I doubt there can be any harm in turning it 180 degrees, but I do not believe that Hall effect is directional, and so I do not believe it will solve your problem.
The teeth on the reluctor ring, which is attached to the driveshaft/ wheel bearing pass very closely past the sensor head, which is basically just a magnet. By virtue of Hall effect, a current is generated which is proportional to the wheel speed, and serves to let the ABS unit know how fast each wheel is turning. I believe that the same current would be generated regardless of the direction of travel of the wheel, hence why I dont think turning the sensors will work.
The fact that your warning light goes out on startup, but comes on once the car is moving suggests to me that the system is detecting that one of the wheel speeds is out of line with the others.
This could be caused by dirt on the reluctor ring teeth, too big a gap between the sensor tip and the teeth, or of course the wrong sensor being fitted. If your car is before the VIN I quoted earlier, the X308 sensor will not work. I dont know what the difference is, but one possibility would be that the reluctor rings have a different number of teeth, and hence the wrong current is being generated by the rotation of the wheel.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:03 PM

Ha! Succes!

So there are a couple of things I learned here ;

- WDS is the way to go for a my 95 x300
- ABS sensor from X308 works fine, though the connector is different you can use the pins in the old wiring harness.
- ABS sensor needs to be placed so that the wiring is faced towards the front of the car. This will prevent from using the plastic hole in the sensor itself to secure it to the hub ; You need to fabricate something yourself to hold it in place. I used a metal plate that holds the sensor in place using the hole in the hub for the x300.
- ABS sensor height is really important ; placing it so that theres minimal distance between the speed wheel is a no go, there need to be enough room. Sort that with a spacer.

Nice! Now the rest of the issues ;-)

PS: My car is from before that VIN you quoted, so it doesnt matter, it will work anyways but you need to fit it the right way.

Last edited by Maraud; 12-19-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Lady Penelope (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Speed I think is 12.5 MPH

Quote " Ha! Succes!

So there are a couple of things I learned here ;

- WDS is the way to go for a my 95 x300
- ABS sensor from X308 works fine, though the connector is different you can use the pins in the old wiring harness.
- ABS sensor needs to be placed so that the wiring is faced towards the front of the car. This will prevent from using the plastic hole in the sensor itself to secure it to the hub ; You need to fabricate something yourself to hold it in place. I used a metal plate that holds the sensor in place using the hole in the hub for the x300.
- ABS sensor height is really important ; placing it so that theres minimal distance between the speed wheel is a no go, there need to be enough room. Sort that with a spacer. "

Thanks , Parker

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 12-19-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Part # conflict for using X308 sensors . Which part # did you use ?

For North American :

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...braking-system

Different for Rest of World :

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...braking-system

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 12-19-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:49 AM
Lady Penelope (12-20-2017)

Quick Reply: Ids/vcm 115