XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Jaguar electrical whizz kid needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Jaguar electrical whizz kid needed.

Hi guys and guyesses,
We had a small problem today and maybe one of you knows what I need to do to stop it from happening again.
We drove to an eatery out of town and parked up. There were absolutely no problems in doing this.
After eating, we went out to the car and unlocked it (from deadlock) using the fob. Got in the car and put the key in the ignition and turned it until the dash lights all came on. I waited until most of the lights went out and then turned the key to engage the starter but nothing happened. Nothing at all.
I got out of the car and tried to use the fob to lock the door but nothing happened. I then opened and closed the boot and tried the fob again which worked. I unlocked again with the fob, got in and started the car as normal with a steady beat. Then we drove home with no issues at all.

I opened and closed the boot because, as I understand it, some wiring re the immobiliser runs under the boot/trunk hinge but I don't really know if what I did there actually fixed whatever was wrong.
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Steve

Old 04-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you turn the key just a hair too far forward and then back to rest, you don't get another chance. You then need to turn the power all the way off and try again. Perhaps when you initially put the key into the car you rocked it just past position and back???

2nd thought. When you put your keys into the ignition, does the letter P light up red on the Gear Selector? Does it light up every time? If you jiggle the gear selector a tad does the light flicker? All of those questions are meant to ask if your linear switch is working properly.

3rd thought. Why do you wait for the lights to extinguish before you start the car? Is there a benefit to it? I usually get into the car, put on the seat belt, make sure everyone is secure and then start the car at the same time I insert the key...

OH, and just a note, I am not a whiz kid, so take my 2p/c for what it's worth

Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Jack,
Third answer first.
I was told that these Jaguars like to run electronic checks before the circuits allow the starter to turn. The best way to do it is to wait for the extra lights to go out.

Does the "P" show?
It shows in red when the lights are on but I don't recall ever seeing any of the letters lit up during daylight. Mind you, they would be hard to see anyway.

Re key going to far, I don't think so. I'm so uptight about not going past the position that brings the lights on, I couldn't possibly go past that position.

Catch you later.