XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Key and headlight buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Key and headlight buzzer

Hi,
A few months ago when I got my 96 XJ6 the key and headlight reminder buzzer was working but no longer. I checked the panel under the hood that lists what each fuse is for but it doesn't seem to have one(or two) fuse for the buzzer. Is there one or two buzzers?
Can someone please tell me which fuse is for the buzzer and where the buzzer is located, as it may be bad? I pulled each fuse from under the hood and they were all fine but did not yet check the fuses in the cabin.
Thanks,
Jomo

Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think you may have a speaker out. The speaker sits inside the steering column above where key goes ( at least on the left-hand-drive models ) . I ruled out wiring / computer problems by connecting alligator clips from the two wired solder connections on the old speaker to another junk speaker I had in the garage: then I could hear it: "Ding... Ding ... Ding..."

Ordered a used one and even that one was broken.

Now I can't decide if I want to go buy a cheap toy with a small speaker, or another used one, or maybe some other make/model car buzzer speaker.
Or just zip-tie the huge one I used for testing... ha!

But seriously - I think the age of the speaker may just be the factor and the windings in the coil have a broken spot - checking continuity on the speaker shows nothing.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by smartobject
I think you may have a speaker out. The speaker sits inside the steering column above where key goes ( at least on the left-hand-drive models ) . I ruled out wiring / computer problems by connecting alligator clips from the two wired solder connections on the old speaker to another junk speaker I had in the garage: then I could hear it: "Ding... Ding ... Ding..."

Ordered a used one and even that one was broken.

Now I can't decide if I want to go buy a cheap toy with a small speaker, or another used one, or maybe some other make/model car buzzer speaker.
Or just zip-tie the huge one I used for testing... ha!

But seriously - I think the age of the speaker may just be the factor and the windings in the coil have a broken spot - checking continuity on the speaker shows nothing.
Thanks for the information it was right on target. I just used a speaker from an old laptop computer I had and now it works. Very cool!
Here is link to a mini speaker from Radio Shack that costs $4. https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717358533
You can even order it online. Ding...Ding...Ding
Thanks!
Jomo

The following users liked this post:
smartobject (08-04-2016)