XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuses Driver side Which side is hot which side is fused? for your refernce

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Fuses Driver side Which side is hot which side is fused? for your refernce

When I started my last project I had to find a voltage source for under the dash. I used the driver's side fusebox. I wanted to post this for the next guy's reference.

I decided to use a copper connector that slips over one blade of one of the fuses to power my project. That left me with a few questions:

1) Which fuse is hot only with ignition on?

See the 5th fuse down from the top on the left column (left = towards front of car). Yes it is a 5 amp fuse, but that is moot - see #2 below. You are not using this fuse, you are using the ignition connection.

2) Which side of each fuse connection is hot and which side goes to the circuit?

Let me explain: Don't forget when you are connecting up your new circuit, you want to connect it to the fuse blade that supplies the current. If you were to connect to the other side of that fuse you would then be adding your new ciricuit's current draw to the original circuit through that same fuse.

Back to the question: Picture this fuse box: it is rectangular with two columns of fuses top to bottom. The side of the fusebox that provide power (battery or ignition) are the connections in the center (right side of left column; left side of right column).

Given the cramped quarters, plus the fact you probalby just realized there is no direct access to the fuse box from under the dash (blocked by metal firewall) you will be surprised how much of a pain in the neck it is to map this stuff out. This will save you more time than you would think when you need it.

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
jamdmyers (04-15-2016), MRomanik (04-15-2016)