XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

LH Taillights are always getting power

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LH Taillights are always getting power

I recently bought a 96 xj6. I know hardly anything about jags or any vehicles for that matter. What I do know, I get from here or I ask Google lol. I got a good deal on this car and figured it would be a fun summer project. Here's the current problem I'm trying to fix. I bought all new bulbs for the rear drivers side light assembly. With the car turned off and of course the lights off, I hook up the correct bulbs in the correct spots and I plug in the assembly, the bottom left two bulbs immediately light up. They are getting power at all times for some reason. I have researched a little and I'm thinking it's a ground short somewhere or something. Actually I have no idea. Could someone please help me to figure this out and how to fix it. Thanks

Old 05-25-2015, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

An odd problem you've got, but after some research, here's my idea:

You might have a bad light control module. It is in the trunk fuse box, a black box with two wiring plugs attached. That module supplies the power to the rear lights. It appears from the schematic that the module also supplies power from the same output to the left rear marker light on the bumper (and the left front marker), and the left license plate light. Are they always on too? If so, I would say it is very likely, almost certain that the module is faulty in that section, with the internal switch for that section stuck closed. The module has a similar section for the group of right hand lights too. If those are working correctly, it is because they are controlled by their own internal switch for that section.

Last edited by SleekJag12; 05-25-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. As soon as the weather clears up I'm gonna go out there and take a look at it. I haven't noticed any other lights doing it. The reason I noticed this was, when I bought it I took it for a drive so I hooked up the driver side taillight assembly. Well I didn't notice when I got done driving that them set of lights were still on. So my battery kept draining and I couldn't figure out why. Finally after the third day jumping it I remembered I had hooked up them tail lights so I unhooked them and jumped it and I haven't had to jump it since. That's when I noticed the tail lights were staying on. Also ive been hearing about these jaguar repair manuals, where can I find a copy of one of these? I've tried downloading one from this site and it makes me use media fire and I can't figure it out. Thanks again for the help

Old 05-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

You're welcome SalP. When you check for the other lights be aware that the previous owner might have pulled out the light bulbs from those locations to prevent battery drain. Have you noticed them working at all? Easy to live without those, but not so much the main tail lights.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:55 PM

I recently bought a multi meter and printed out a wiring diagram and did some checking around. I think you're right about the LCM Benning bad. It's there a way too fix it or do i have to buy a new one? I also recently bought a OBD II scan tool. It showed five different codes. P1187, P0132, P0152, P1138. I figured out what the codes mean but it says MOD 51 reported the codes. Do you know what that's referring too? I also reviewed the entire data list while the vehicle was running. It have me a lot of info like coolant temp (183 degree F), short term fuel trim 1 (24.2%), and various others. How do i know if all these different figures are where they need to be to have a good running vehicle? Is there a chat or something? Sorry, like i said I'm new to all this. Thanks

Old 06-23-2015, 12:11 AM

Yep you were right. I finally installed the new LCM and my taillights and and everything on the left side is working. Thanks for the help