XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Limp mode who knows what it feels like?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Limp mode who knows what it feels like?

1995 XJ6 VDP 90K/miles

Hi

Is there anyone who can describe what the "limp mode" feels like?

I do not have a problem with the automatic transmission. I do have an acceleration problem under low gas pedal pressure. It feels like the car is with holding its power and refuses to accelerate unless I really step on it.

This happens anywhere at low speed 20. 30, 4. mph or so. if I step on it no problem.

It sounds like the engine is "not happy" and makes a noise like if it was not getting enough fuel or so.

If anyone has experienced this I would love to hear about it.

Thanks

Claude

Last edited by Translator; 06-10-2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Title correction.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ECU switch to second gear, and it stays there. So you do not have first gear to start moving your car neader third one to go anove 60km/h.
There is lot of reasons why will car go to limp mode, best is to park car and switch it of for couple minutes, if come back when you start car again best is to see what is the reason for it and not to drive car considering it can develop new aditional issues with transmition or drivetrain.

The following users liked this post:
oldjaglover (07-10-2023)
Old 06-09-2012, 06:34 AM

Hi GRSSA,

The car starts in 1st gear no probs but it is when I only accelerate a little bit that it has that "limp" feeling. If I step on it tthen it goes like a scared rabitt.
This "limp" feeling happens up to about 60 65 MPH and disappears at 70 75.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:45 AM

Sorry on mine typo!
I do this over mine phone and of course english is mine second lenguage.
Now back to limp mode jagcloude you actualy do not get light of limp mode, top one in left cluster?

Old 06-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

(Corrected title and what have you. Second language speakers are most WELCOME around here. Thanks for helping Grssa.)

To OP. From what you describe, the car is not in limp mode.

You would have a check engine light, and simply not be able to accelerate to the figures you quote.

With a feather light touch on the accelerator you should easily get to 60mph and not once pass 2000 rpm on shift points, probably nearer 1500 rpm if you are really light footed.

What rpm do you have at idle? Might be just a dirty fuel filter.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

You can also hear clunking noise when you put into R with that tranny light is on .

Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 AM

Hi everybody

I do not know exactly what is the "feeling" of the limp mode.
When this penomenon happens the engin refuses to rev up, it eels like iy is witholding" its power, lie not getting enough gas. When I let go th gas edal than it is better.
I have NO ngine light on, NO transmission light on
f I accelerate mildly var does not want to go properly it only goes well when I step on it hard
It develops when engines warms up. Does not do it whe, cold
Iddling is perfect
Gas mileage is only 12 MPG
Someone had mentioned to me the Crank Posiioning Sensor
I tried another ECU but the only thing that it did was to make the engine idle at 2000 RPM even cold
Still looking for ananswer.

Thanks to all of you

Caude
1995 XJ6 VDP
1991 Audi 100

Old 06-10-2012, 09:39 PM

I'm afreid to say, X300 has 4 cat's and it could be that some of them do not burn properly.
Check your diagnotic codes first, and if there is any related to catalytic converters go for exost shop which has heat gun so thay can confirme it.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Is this limp mode?

Car was running smoothly. Took it to get the state inspection done, on the way, the accelerator started acting jerky. It was moving on its own.

The mechanic passed it all, with 2 exceptions: the jerky pedal wouldn't let it go over 25 MPH, and an exhaust leak before the cat (didn't say which one) that he couldn't see, but felt from under a heat shield.

Having not seen that much of the car yet, I'm not familiar with the exhaust - should I be scared that I have have a cracked converter? I'm picking it up tomorrow morning.

I've got no warning lights on the dash.

Funny part - it's passed emission testing, even with the exhaust leak.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 AM

Wednedsay, June 20

Hi everybody. Thanks you for all your answers. According to what I have read so far about LIMP MODE and CKPS my problem is somewhere else. I had also tried to replace th CPU but this did not help.

So I will try again to defne more precisely what is going on wth my 1995 XJ6 VDP 90 K miles, always garaged, one owner, overall like new shape

I have replaced 2 spark plug coils
I have replaced the transmission control module
I have no lights of any kind on the dash board
Car starts perfectly, hot or cold
Car idles perfectly, cold or hot.
When I start to drive, cold engine all is fine for a few miles.
When engine is at running temperature when I either drive or accelerate slowly the engie is reluctant to go any faster and keeps a steady speed (this usually happens between 2000 and 2500 RPMs. the only way to get out of this is to step hard or almost floor the gas pedal than it goes like a scared rabitt.
When it refuses (at low speed) to go any faster the engine is "groaning" like if it wanted mor gas (just a feeling I have).
If I let go the gas pedal then the car goes back to "normal".
I have a very ba gas mileage asan average 11.9 MPG
Engine runs on all 6 and is otherwise very smooth.
At anyspeed if I step on the gas pedal car goes ike it should
But again at constant speed, and say around 55 MPH the car goes into that funny" mode" meaning rfusing to go any faster unless I step on it.
I have replaced the water tremperature sensor on the thermostat housing (new one)
Voilą!
Maybe this will give you more hints

I must say that I have other electrical problems (I do not know if related or not - no interior lights of any kind, no right horn, memory seat goes back at door opening but does not come back to programmed posiion, I had to remove fuse number under left rear seat otherwise all consoles illuminating lightrs stay o at all time and rain he battery overnight - battery is new and is charging properly)

I am aware that Jaguar and Electronics are two different worlds but I would love thi one to run as well as my good old XJS's and XJ6's back in the 80's and earmly 90's

Thanks to all of you

Claude
Durham NC US

1995 XJ6 VDP
1991 Audi 100 (running like a champ 130 K miles)