XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Locked glove box won't unlock

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Danke basco! I never tried the hinge approach personally, but it looked like it should have worked. Too simple I suppose! Typical enough. Thanks for your input and we can never know too much about these cars.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by basco1987
ok, just saw your video. As the door is already half way open: just undo the four screws on the top and undo the four screws at the hinges and you have the gove box in your hands ... the only problem is: it's still not open, but I see a liitle chance, just ask me, I'm very busy atm, but I'll try to answer asap ...
Another suggestion: originally, the car came with three kees. Did you already try with all three keys?
I only got one key with the car when I bought it so...I'm stuck with one key. I supposed once I get the title done I could order new ones through the dealer for the glove box...but I am not sure my wallet would agree with that decision.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by sogood
Just took a peek at mine and I found the four nuts along the bottom edge of the door surround that hold the hinges on! Two per hinge, so, if you undo these nuts, the door should drop out from the bottom, but be advised that there's a little nylon string hanger fixed to the right hand side (RHD) to stop the door from falling too far when operating normally.
I GOT IT! And surprise, suprise, there was nothing in it besides a screw someone took out of the glove box to secure it to the dash and the X300 DVD for manual etc. BUMMER! I was hoping the dude who had it sitting in his garage had a wad of 100s in it he forgot about...

There was a flat metal piece that is part of the metal pegs that secure it once you close it. there is one for each side that the handle just squeezes them together. I just had to take a long screwdriver and pull the long metal piece so it would release the peg. I just did one side at a time and it popped down.

Well...a question still remains...how do I unlock the glove box so I can use it? If I shut it again, I'm back and square one having to pick it open.

You guys are awesome - thanks for your continued help on this one!

Old 02-17-2014, 04:46 PM

Glad you got sorted, sorta? Anyway, the same (black) key opens the car, starts the car and opens the glove box. The only other key is the valet key (green) which won't open the boot/trunk, for security reasons if you use valet parking. That's what the valet switch inside the centre console storage box is for. Don't mess with it!

My lock functions fine, but there is no audible "click" or otherwise when I lock/unlock. As a stop gap measure, you might tape the little pegs aside so they don't engage and just keep the door closed with some tape if needed.

Will look at mine tomorrow and see if there's any obvious way around it, maybe get into the lock mechanism and see if there's anything that might have come adrift. It happens with the doors on the car itself, so..........

Old 02-17-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by sogood
Glad you got sorted, sorta? Anyway, the same (black) key opens the car, starts the car and opens the glove box. The only other key is the valet key (green) which won't open the boot/trunk, for security reasons if you use valet parking. That's what the valet switch inside the centre console storage box is for. Don't mess with it!

My lock functions fine, but there is no audible "click" or otherwise when I lock/unlock. As a stop gap measure, you might tape the little pegs aside so they don't engage and just keep the door closed with some tape if needed.

Will look at mine tomorrow and see if there's any obvious way around it, maybe get into the lock mechanism and see if there's anything that might have come adrift. It happens with the doors on the car itself, so..........
I did mess with the valet rocker already because I have a key fob that won't register with the security system. I put new batteries in it, I have another thread going on that one though. Please chime in if you have any ideas!

Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Here's a hint - any key of that type will lock it, but only the right key will unlock it.

I got a used glove box and I wanted to see of my key would work. I did, but only to lock it, not unlock it. I was able to disassemble the handle and unlock it. While it was taken apart, I disengaged the locking mechanism, so a key will no longer lock it.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 AM

See? I rest my case! Every day is a revelation with these cars. Lots of little "tricks" and a ton of know how. Right now my know how weighs in at about a half pound, but hey, I'm enjoying the ride, on every level!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
Here's a hint - any key of that type will lock it, but only the right key will unlock it.

I got a used glove box and I wanted to see of my key would work. I did, but only to lock it, not unlock it. I was able to disassemble the handle and unlock it. While it was taken apart, I disengaged the locking mechanism, so a key will no longer lock it.
Any chance you have some steps to dismantle the logging mechanism? I haven't been unable to find a way to get into the lock from the inside or outside. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. There is a plastic guard on the inside that protects the locking structure, but there are no screwed to remove it. Does it just pop off? Disabling the locking feature would be nifty but I've first got to get the handle unlocked (which my current and only key does not appear to do) and then stop it from being locked. Unlocking it would be first priority IMO though - just don't know how to do it.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

It stared by carefully popping of the handle - from there it's all accessible - that was last summer - I son't remember much more than that.

I'll take a look again when I have some time and try to get some documentation. I remember it being a task to get it all back together with the springs, and such. But nothing that was unmanageable.

Originally Posted by heuster
Any chance you have some steps to dismantle the logging mechanism? I haven't been unable to find a way to get into the lock from the inside or outside. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. There is a plastic guard on the inside that protects the locking structure, but there are no screwed to remove it. Does it just pop off? Disabling the locking feature would be nifty but I've first got to get the handle unlocked (which my current and only key does not appear to do) and then stop it from being locked. Unlocking it would be first priority IMO though - just don't know how to do it.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:02 AM

Finally got my glove box fixed! The lock itself was busted...I figured out that in order to unlock you have to turn it to the left, lock is to the right and the lock itself was jammed somehow and there was no opening it. So...underneath the handle, there is two plastic stoppers that stop the handle from opening when the plastic cover is turned to oppose the stoppers. I broke out the stoppers and now I use of my glove box

Isn't the solution I wanted, but I had no options. Thanks for everyone's help.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (04-01-2014)
Old 01-10-2022, 06:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,
I have just managed to get my locked shut glovebox open and wish to share my method.
I could not get my key to turn to the left initially but just wiggled it for a while whilst moving it slightly in and out and then suddenly the key worked and unlocked the glovebox!
The white plastic side locking pins were sticking and I used a silicone spray to get them springing in and out easily and worked them a bit.
My advise is to work with the key in the lock till the key engages and not to try to lever the glove box open causing damage.
Thanks to all the previous contributors for their tips which helped my thought process!
cheers, Tony.

The following users liked this post:
Cafcpete (01-10-2022)