XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

looking at a 95 x300 w73k miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default looking at a 95 x300 w73k miles

tomorrow im looking at a geen (looks like blue, like a teal? does anybody know the official color?) , looks to be well sorted in the pics and is offered at $5800. the one thing i notice right off is the driver seat seems to be seperated about 3/4" from the rigid back plate. is this a sign of removal for seat heater repair? is that something that can be easily corrected such as re-snapping some fasteners? the leather looks to be in great shape, but from past experience , ineternet pics hide a lot of dirt and blemishes. the interior trim looks great, as well as headliner , engine bay looks clean and soot free, but will check below of course. im crossing my fingers on this one and hope it looks as good in person as i will have to drive 2 hours to see it. it does have the mesh style wheels which i like.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:46 PM

so i went to see this thing today.. here are my conclusions

- made sure i had a cold start , no strange rattles but i had noticed like a slight pulsing scraping like sound that was consistent with rpm(went away after warmed up). i checked the dipstick before starting and there was some traces of milk on the dipsitick. the front of the engine had a good weep from the rocker cover gasket (no big deal) but it looks like it was doing it for a while. body was straight except for maybe 4 dings, but it definitly looked like there was some paintwork when looking at inner fender and bonnet. the interior was in generally good shape ,stock radio didnt turn on , steering column didnt adjust up and down only telescoped , a/c didnt kick on or blow cold (possibly no freon), but all vents functioned as well as heat. headliner was sagged above rear seat (seen this before). the driver side boot gap with the fender was off enough to notice. leather was in pretty good shape as well as wheel and wood trim , center vent trim looked like it was pulled and not fit back properly. the exterior was generally pretty nice and presentable. i didnt bother driving it since it was burried in the lot , but had a good idea just from what i looked at if i wanted to proceed. they are asking $5850, personaaly i think its a $4000-4500 range. here is the link
Jaguar : XJ6 Jaguar : XJ6 | eBay

Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Pretty car. Those are not the correct wheels but they look very good, IMHO

Lots of the things you mention are typical faults but, all-in-all, I'd keep looking. I think you can do better. These cars are not rare....lots to choose from

Cheers and good luck

DD

Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by domer94
tomorrow im looking at a geen (looks like blue, like a teal? does anybody know the official color?) .
Kingfisher Blue, probably. At different angles and light, it can look blue or green. Ask me how I know

Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Pretty car. .... all-in-all, I'd keep looking. I think you can do better. These cars are not rare....lots to choose from

Cheers and good luck

DD
+1

But...ALL x300's are pretty!

Like Doug said, think you can beat it elsewhere for value. I'd consider a 95 with ~75k mi to have a fair mkt value on the order of $6k-$7k if perfect. But that's me....

So ask yourself what a perfect one is worth to you, then consider what you'd have to spend to get it to perfect, and then ask can you buy it for $perfect-K less whatever that figure is? If so? consider it a fair deal, if not ...lower...lower ...lower... Even if you can, it may be work you don't like to fool with (ie...maybe you like to recondition interiors and loathe to fix eng. oil leaks? or vice versa)

Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 PM

yes i think i may pass. i dont do interior work and a new header would be probably $400. the a/c system could be simple or could be another $200 at least in parts if i had to do an air dryer / low pressure switch etc etc. the milk in the oil concerns me as i have been trained to watch for that a s a warning of bigger things. it was fairly tempting though... as i said cosmetically better than many ive seen , but those body gaps and signs of paintwork give me the heebeejebbees...

has anybody bought online sight unseen successfully? have you arranged a local inspection? there are a couple of nice ones in other states , but ive been burned before and not ready to do it again. i went down there today with mechanics mirror and flashlight and the salesmen was asking me about what i was looking at / for !!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Let me make this suggestion...

TAKE YOUR TIME!
I just found a gem by following that sage ( if I do say so myself. :-) advice.
'96 X300 with 73,458.
Second owner. ( Lives across the street from original owner. How often do you see THAT? )
The interior is mint.
The rear end work has already been done.
I have ALL the service records from 6,000 mi to now.
Not a leak ANYWHERE. I know this 'cause I work at a mechanic shop and have used the lift to clean underneath where the gear oil had spewed and have thoroughly inspected the rest of the car. THOROUGHLY.
And best of all? THE CLOCK DOESN'T WORK!
OK, there also was a wee bit of sagging of the headliner in the back but I just
stuck it back up with these cloth covered pins I found at a local store. Just looks 'upholstered' now and the backlight on the radio doesn't work either.
BUT THE REST OF THE CAR IS SWEET!

So my key point was if YOU TAKE YOUR TIME you can find a jewel that needs but a small bit of care to really shine.
The one you're looking at ain't it.
GOOD LUCK!

Attached Thumbnails looking at a 95 x300 w73k miles-111120_001.jpg   looking at a 95 x300 w73k miles-111129_002.jpg  
Old 12-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

WOW. Porsche Main Line. Right down the street from Jag West Chester. I know a bunch of people there at Porsche. As said, wrong wheels. They could be from a 94 XJ12. The headliners all drop. I pulled mine out myself and had it recovered for $125 along with a 94 XJ6. I personally like Kingfisher Blue as there are not as many around as, say, Anthracite or Topaz even. It's worth what you think its worth.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by domer94
has anybody bought online sight unseen successfully? have you arranged a local inspection? there are a couple of nice ones in other states , but ive been burned before and not ready to do it again. i went down there today with mechanics mirror and flashlight and the salesmen was asking me about what i was looking at / for !!
Hi There,

Bought mine off Ebay unseen, but Ive most probably spent what I paid for it, getting it to a nice reliable car. Just had the back end respayed as well as quite fussy about body work. Front end will be resprayed in the spring - usual thing flaking laquer, chips and some rust on the arches so will most probably get new or v.good front arches.

These cars are always work in progress but a nice silky drive...

Even the wife likes it which is a bonus

Good luck with your search...

Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

domer94; please don't take this personal but this is a Jaguar site - could you please change your photo to something more attractive like the cars we drive?
I know you are making a joke but please .............

Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 AM

ha ha i thought the older guys would get nostalgic about ron jeremy in his prime in a laughing pose!!!

i dont have a problem changing it, i will wait until i take delivery of my girl and take a pic ,hopefully next week !!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Price of a used X300-

BTW, to those who are looking for one of these, I paid the massive sum of $4200 for my '96.
But then again, I don't buy sight-unseen and will only buy from a private seller and NEVER a 'dealer'.
I see more people get 'the shaft', at my shop, from buying sight-unseen or from a dealer, without having a private inspection, to know it shall never be my fate.
And, domer94? Photo shop a pic of Ron sittin' in your Jag when you get her.
While it's true I personally find him quite distasteful it's your avatar, afterall, and you're a free man.
Enjoy the freedom and this MOST EXCELLENT site.
Is there a calendar for 2012?

JonnyO in commiefornia

Old 12-10-2011, 10:19 AM

yes, actually i learned my lesson well after taking delivery of this 88. the vehicle was totally misrepresented by the listing. i have been going back and forth with this sheister "top-rated seller" from florida. i finally had to put in a complaint with the florida better business bureau to get him to agree to buy it back. his description was a "unicorns fartin' rainbows" description which yes i read between the lines, but the photos looked so convincing. in essence, yes i would never buy another sight unseen again. i lost a little money in the transaction , but it at least i now found a car locally that i can actually get on the road safely! i found a 98 vanden plas with 130k , nice car but the body has some dings etc that need attention , but its very mechanically sorted. on top of this all , the seller re-listed the car with THE SAME DESCRIPTION, a classic case of some used car schmuck buying a semi-good looker at an auction without knowing what goes into these cars, i guess his last resort was to try to find somebody that could be shafted from afar... i was not that guy.. at least in the end. its funny about the old addage of "used car salesman"!!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

We found our 96 on Craigslist 2 years ago w/72K or $4200. I see them all the time on Craigslist/Lehigh Valley and sitting around the area. I saw 2 (could be XJ6 or XJ8's) for sale today driving 30 miles on Rt 611 in Bucks County, PA. Good luck finding one;ours has been the best $4200 we've spent in a long time on a car!