XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Looking For Resource (highside AC line)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Looking For Resource (highside AC line)

Hey Guys,

Lost the 134a out of the XJ6.
It vented through the schrader on the high side line.
According to Jaguar that schrader is not replaceable and you need to replace the entire line which really sucks.

Looking for wisdom on where to get this part from to avoid the high prices of buying from the dealer.

Any help is appreciated

Bernie

Old 07-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by razorboy
Hey Guys, Lost the 134a out of the XJ6. It vented through the schrader on the high side line. According to Jaguar that schrader is not replaceable and you need to replace the entire line which really sucks. Looking for wisdom on where to get this part from to avoid the high prices of buying from the dealer. Any help is appreciated Bernie
The same thing happened on my high side last week. I was able to get one locally and I can check my local supplier if he has anymore for you if you'd like

Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If AlBolivar cannot line one up for you, give Welsh Enterprises a call. They don't list one on their web site, but they've been in business a long time and must have some resources.

Welsh Enterprises, Inc - Jaguar XJ6(95-97) / X300 Heating/Cooling Radiator, Heater Core & Header Tanks Parts - Condenser With Receiver Drier - XJ6

Good luck!

Bob

Old 07-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Received 12,734 Likes on 6,378 Posts

Originally Posted by razorboy
Lost the 134a out of the XJ6. It vented through the schrader on the high side line.
According to Jaguar that schrader is not replaceable and you need to replace the entire line which really sucks.

Hi Bernie,

Since your hose may be useless anyway, you might try removing the valve core with a standard Schrader valve removal tool. Jaguar's hose supplier had to install the valve somehow, and they probably threaded it into a tapped hole. That was how the valve was installed in the upper hose on our '88 XJ40, and I was able to find a suitable replacement valve locally. I seem to recall putting a little loctite on the threads of the new valve before I installed it, then letting it cure overnight before I had the system evacuated and recharged. The replaced valve was still holding fine when I sold the car. And if for some reason the X300 valve really isn't replaceable and you ruin your hose, you'll be no worse off than you are now.

And if you do need a new hose and the previously-recommended sources can't provide one at a reasonable price, it might be worth checking with an industrial or hydraulic hose fabricator (I just googled "Las Vegas hydraulic hose" and came up with several potential vendors).

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 07-09-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for the help lads.

The schrader on the high side is proving very difficult so unless I have some more intel on that I think its a gonner. The valve may have loctite on it but it wouldn't matter anyway as the schrader itself looks to thread in from the back and it is not a common looking one. It has some sort of rubber cap over the top of it.

The Jaguar dealer told me that only the low side valve is replaceable so I picked that one up. The high side valve is permanently on the hose according to him so replace the hose I must. I understand that maybe its a safety issue not allowing the high pressure valve to be removed but every other car I have worked on the AC it is possible to replace both. Big dollars to fix a very small part.

I will check in on the resources you guys left me.

Thanks Much

Old 07-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Check with Dave at everydayxj.com. I just got the line from the evaporator to the dryer from him. I'm sure he has the other lines. Great price.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

You are right about the schraeder on your system The core cannot be replaced as it IS threaded in from the underside.. I have a late 94 XJ40 with the same factory R134A system and both the high and low service valves were past their prime. I had a heck of a time sourcing the low side port but IIRC there were quite a few high side ports online at A/C suppliers, I think the port is an Aeroquip brand.

There is no need to replace the lines if you can source the ports, they unscrew from the lines pretty easily and the green o-ring is fitted underneath the threads. In my case I went with the belt and suspenders repair, also replacing the o-rings inside the port caps. They provide the final seal.

I just had a quick gander through my bookmarks and I believe the part you need (hi-side port) is available here, I think it's the third one down the page - but do some checking first for yourself as to if it IS the right one (I'm 90% sure it's the one)

Ray's Auto Air & Heat - Service Ports & Schrader Valves

good luck with finding the port, let us know what develops!

happy motoring

Larry

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-09-2014 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added a pic
The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-09-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Umm, don't we all have ball valves? The ones that leak a lot? Schraeder valves are better. If you have to replace the hose, try to find one with a schraeder valve.

I wonder if a hydraulic hose repair shop could do this, using the original metal hose ends??

Old 07-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I just called 2 local shops last week and neither do AC lines any longer.