XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Loud noise when going in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud noise when going in reverse

Hello, I have a 95XJ6 with 100K miles on the clock. The car runs fine last night while parking, I started to hear a loud noise when going only in reverse. I thought maybe it was the power steering belt, but when I went in reverse without moving the steering wheel the noise is still there. The noise only happens when going in reverse. I am thinking maybe its the driveshaft? a bearing? the noise seems to be coming from the left rear wheel

Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

you backed over the dog.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:58 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

OK, just some clarification for us "old" brains, PLEASE.

"Going into reverse", does this mean as you SELECT reverse, or something else.

I will make an assumption, and if I am waaaay out, so be it.

IF, and I mean IF the noise is a scraping as you reverse the car (as in, the car is in motion in the reverse direction), and appears to be coming from the LHR wheel, is possibly a handbrake shoe "dragging", or a brake pad "dragging", OR, and this I have seen hundreds of times, is the person servicing the car has NEVER greased the joints on the 2 half shafts, and they now HATE you.

Exhaust rattles in reverse only are not so common on the X300, but, maybe??.

There are many other things that may fit the criteria, but they are also usually apparent in the "forward direction".

Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a blonde moment. Wednesday night when I went to dinner, I parked on a little incline and I set the parking brake. My parking brake light on the instrument cluster works but only when the car is on ACC. So when I went to drive home I forgot to unset the brake until the next day. I released the brake and the noise is no longer there when going in reverse. Thanks for the replies

Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Glad you "fixed" it. Now YOU need a DRINK.

I am on the 3rd JD and going for the 4th now I read this, HAHAHAHAHA.

Enjoy.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 AM
sbc
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just for the archive, this issue can also be a stone caught between the anchor plate and the brake disc. Usually fixes itself in a matter of days.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

May I ask a dumb question here?
What is a "Parking brake"?
Is it what we civilised folk on the right hand side of the Pond call a "Handbrake"?
I have read the term many times in the past and sometimes it sounds like the Handbrake but equally as often it sounds like putting the auto gear lever into Park. Does it depend on the model of car?
Another thing that baffles me, not related to cars except very tenuously, is when Americans are giving directions and they say something like, "Follow this road to 14th Street and then go east" ..... How does the driver know which way is east?
My brain worries about such things, lol
Cheers,
Steve

Old 07-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by 5tevie
Is it what we civilised folk on the right hand side of the Pond call a "Handbrake"?
I have read the term many times in the past and sometimes it sounds like the Handbrake but equally as often it sounds like putting the auto gear lever into Park. Does it depend on the model of car?
Steve
HA, for those of us old enough, and had the honour of the older "inboard" rear braked cars, know only toooooo well that applying the "handbrake" whilst the car is moving at ANY pace will seperate the pad lining from the backing with hardly a murmur.

That is why here in the "colonies" we always referred to IT as a PARKBRAKE, and unless your wallet was FAT, do not apply that thing unless the car is at a dead stop.

Of course when technology, or was it the legal requirements, caught up, the outboard braked cars have shoes inside the rotors, and can actually be used to "slow" the car, but the word BRAKE is still a tad too far fetched.

Anyways, I NEVER use the parkbrake/handbrake/whatever on any of my Jaguars, never have, they have a perfectly functioning "P" in the transmission, works for me. Oh, and I have never had a brake failure in all my years with the marque, and that I put down to plain and simple MAINTENENCE.

The rest of the "quote", no idea, I just get the sister-in-law to drive when I visit her in Las Vegas, the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car just plain scares the hell out of me.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 07-19-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: dunno
Old 07-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Easy. It's a brake used when the car is parked :-) :-)

In the 'states it's sometimes called an "Emergency Brake" as well.

I use mine *every time* I park the car....any car. Doing so keeps the mechanism in good order.

Another thing that baffles me, not related to cars except very tenuously, is when Americans are giving directions and they say something like, "Follow this road to 14th Street and then go east" ..... How does the driver know which way is east?

Heh heh. Sometimes he doesn't and then asks "Ummm...er....which way is east?" :-).

Actually I'm not sure what you've described is a bit of Americana or not. It might be, in some regions, though. Most people I know just say "turn left" or "turn right".

Virtually all signage on interstate highways makes reference to both compass direction and destination ("Interstate 5 South Los Angeles") so perhaps that keeps N-S-E-W on on brains? I dunno. Local signage is hit-n-miss in that regard.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

"Follow this road to 14th Street and then go east" ..... How does the driver know which way is east?
The only time I've told people which compass direction to travel is on the interstates that run N-S or E-W