XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

For the love of...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Default For the love of...

Got my car back from my brother's yesterday, with two brand new manifolds, a new back box and the second lambda sensor (the hard to reach one) finally replaced. With any luck, that's the last time we'll ever have to take the manifolds off.

Today, I put the newly covered roof lining back in. First, all the seats came out. The passenger switches are playing up, but fortunately the rear-access switches are fine (it's LWB). Offer the roof lining - oh, here comes the rain. Wait for it to stop. Wait some more. Offer up the roof lining again, giving it a proper bend in the middle. It's in! Shuffled it in to position. Spent an hour looking for the sun visor clip and screws - eventually found them in my mini drawer set I use for storing parts I don't want to lose. Sun visor illumination on the driver's side is working at this point - I checked. Fit the passenger sun visor. Plug in the front interior lights. Bugger - I snapped the plastic screw taking them out. Can't find anything suitable to replace it - will have to wait for a new one to arrive. Not sure whether to remove the lights or leave them flapping on the front brackets. Anyway, give them a test - nothing. Test the sun visor - nothing. Close and open the doors - no puddle lamps. Fire up that car - that seems OK. Dash lamps good (panicked for a while until I realised the headlights needed to be on...). Headlights. Indicators. OK, so nothing major blown. Check the schematics - interior lights are on [ 59 ] which is Fuse 8 in the RH heelboard fuse box. Glad that's exposed already! Fuse is fine. Swap in another anyway. No go. Have 12 volts on both sides of the fuse. Check the power at the front interior light unit. Only reads 0.3 V between Pin 8 (live from Fuse 8) and Pin 4 (Ground). Hopefully I've simply kicked something by accident and it's not a blown Body Control Module.

It's now 8pm, and I'm fed up crawling around my car by torch light. I wanted to take the Jag to Barrington tomorrow, so will be up early to refit the seats and the bits of trim I have time to refit. While looking around with a torch I notice the roof lining colour really doesn't match the sun visors under torchlight. Hopefully it'll be better in daylight.

Happy New Year everyone.

Attached Thumbnails For the love of...-20131231_103133.jpg   For the love of...-20131231_111113.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Yea that last underside bolt on #6 is a real pain isn't it?

Old 01-01-2014, 03:09 PM

Not as bad as the top downpipe stud nut. Took four extensions to reach.

Got the seats back in and went out for the day. Bloody misfire - time to change more coils I think. Took a bridge too fast and bottomed out, causing a repeated knocking while slowing down. Might have been the wheel nuts, might be the brakes, might the the UJ, might be a combination of the above. It's all coming apart anyway for return so we'll have a good look.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:59 AM

Ha. When it says RH heelboard fuse box it means from the driver's point of view. not when looking at the car from the front

Fuse #8 in the RH box replaced and the lights now work. Surprising amount of light from the puddle lamps when you are used to working by torch light!