XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Major driver's seat issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Major driver's seat issue - RESOLVED

Hi all

My driver's seat has been playing up intermittently for a while - the controls will either move the seat smoothly or it will jerk, for want of a better word - with what sounds like a relay clicking - bzzzz-click-bzzzz-click-bzzz-click and so on. This is for every control so I assume it's not a mechanical issue.

I have been meaning to diagnose it for a while but I went to roll the seat forward to vacuum it the other day, and oops, it's now dead. Well almost totally dead, one control still works, the one that pumps the lumbar support up, the other controls are completely dead.

I have checked fuses F3, F4 and F6 in the LH heel board as per the manual and they appear OK, I can't find my tester but visually they are fine.

My suspicions lie with the DSCM, I have lined up a second hand unit with the same part number but before I order it I want to make sure it sounds like I am on the right track. I assume the lack of seat function will cause my car to fail it's 6 monthly inspection which is due in a few days so I want to jump on this now....

I also was dismayed to see it looks like I have to pull the seat out to get the module out - the seat is currently all the way back, I am not sure I will get the rear bolts out.....

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by zathras; 12-20-2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: problem resolved!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

A common cause (apparently) for seats acting up such as yours, seems to be the switch packs. The contacts can become dirty/dusty and it is possible to remove and clean them. Search the archives as there have been plenty of posts on this subject. regarding your stuck seat, I think I remember reading somewhere, that with the switch operated it is possible to physically push the seat in the desired direction. Might be a two man job, one to operate the switch, from outside the car, and the other to do the pushing.

Might help?

Old 12-09-2013, 11:32 AM

I thought about the switches but why would they all pack up at the same time?

Old 12-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

I don't know the details of how the switches are wired up, but given that you have the lumbar support working, then it seems that you have power getting to the seat. The switches are a good place to start, as in, deal with the simple stuff first. Another point I that if the seats go to the fullest extent of their travel, they can stick in position, if and when the relevant sensor runs off the end of it's little electrical pick up, a bit like a needle coming to the end of a record.

I have a post up regarding a dodgy memory on my drivers seat and the reply explains a ton of stuff via a link. Take a look see, it might help.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My seat has been doing the same thing on and off for a while now. The only difference is that it's an all or nothing with the workings of the seat. So start with cleaning the switches?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 AM

Thanks everyone. I will post back when I have resolved the issue

Old 12-19-2013, 05:44 PM

Update: module was faulty as I suspected. New module fitted and all is well!

I will keep the old module and maybe get it rebuilt