XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Maximum # of miles on a '95-'97 XJR worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Maximum # of miles on a '95-'97 XJR worth buying?

What is the maximum # of miles on a '95 to '97 XJR you would buy? Also, how much $$$ does it take to keep them going? Thanks for any info.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:35 AM
Received 10,306 Likes on 6,818 Posts

A bit like the other question, "how long is a piece of string" ????.

Down here I try for less than, or very close to, 15K kms per year of life as an average.

Then it purely comes down to how much "luv" you have available for it.

I say that based on the following:

Someones backside has been in that drivers seat for ALL those kms/miles. Trim is expensive to fix on any car.
The rubber suspension components "must" be getting tired by now??. Shockers will be nearing their lifes end.
The steering wheel has been man handled for all those kms/miles also.

So general wear and tear is either accepted or you move on.

The engine and trans are basically bullet proof, as is the supercharger. HOWEVER, if maintenence has been a tad slack, or just enough to get by, then anything is possibly ready to bite your backside at some time in the very near future.

I usually make my decision when driving the car in question, coz you just get that warm and fuzzy feeling when a Jag feels "right", and it has that ambience that it has been cared for, and clock kms really are a secondary consideration.

General rule for me is that the more kms, the lower the price, regardless of any other feelings.

I always leave "emotion" at home when I go looking.

Cost of keeping will really depend on what is purchased, and how much "catch up" is required to bring the car up to whatever standard you want it to be at. If that makes sense???. Once that is acheived, no more expensive than any other car out there.

The following users liked this post:
TornroT (12-05-2021)
Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Grant's reply sums it up very well.

In this thread......

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tu-97-a-57293/

.....is a posting from me listing the repairs mine has needed over the last few years, FWIW.

I suspect I'll be adding to that list soon with u-joints and/or driveshaft center bearing. Additionally I sense that the shocks are getting a bit weak, as Grant mentioned.

Anyhow.....

Any 15-17 year old car is likely to need repairs. The market value is so low on X300s that many owners haven't put much money into them for the last few years, preferring to do the bare minimum rather than lavish them with care. As a result you're likely to have quite a "catch up" list, as Grant mentioned.

From another perspective, though, if you like early XJRs you can buy a decent example with excellent cosmetics, make all the needed repairs, and end up with a really fabulous car and still have change left over from $10,000. This assumes DIY labor and no major powertrain overhauls.

Let's see....timeless good looks, luxury, excellent road manners, full complement of equipment, supercharged engine, Jaguar image and style. It would be hard to find more car for less money, IMHO.

Anyhow again..... (I'm rambling)

A superbly kept example (when you can find one) with 150k miles might be a better buy than a neglected example with 60k miles. You'll just have to keep shopping until you find the right car. Be patient, though, as the XJR/6s are just a bit on the rare side...only about 6500 made and about half of them went to the USA as far as I know.

Cheers
DD