XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Might need to pull the headliner.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Might need to pull the headliner.

So, the TL;DR of it is I have to replace the sunroof.

Which I've looked around, I'm fairly sure I can do that by myself, I just have this one situation:

I have no idea how I'm gonna pull the headliner.

Still looking through some of my manuals and technical stuff, but I'm kinda left thinking that I don't have to remove the rear windshield to get it out and that I can just remove a seat, pull it it out through one of the rear doors.

But then after I've unbolted & unplugged one of the front seats and pulled it, then what do I do next?

Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I pulled the front passenger seat, and carefully folded it a little to remove it.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
I pulled the front passenger seat, and carefully folded it a little to remove it.
So it -is- possible that route.... But what did you do after pulling the passenger seat?

Old 09-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Valium.Skies
So it -is- possible that route.... But what did you do after pulling the passenger seat?
I put up a post a while back, with some pics, covering this topic. I didn't remove any seats, just let the front seats forward and lowered as far as possible, after undoing the various, clips, handle/grabs, visors, overhead console etc. Leving the seats in the normal position allows you to rest the liner on them once it has dropped. Then move the seats as described, rotate the liner inside the car, so it is facing to the rear and fold it! Yes, fold it, along its length, but not a tight bend, more of a roll if you like, and remove it through the rear passenger door. Its a bit of a squeeze at time and seems scary, but it is very tough and resilient. After recovering it, its no harm to leave it sitting overnight, upside down,to allow the adhesive to really bond, before reversing the proces to install it again. This really works, no damage at all, see my pics.

The following users liked this post:
paulZ (09-26-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Mine came out without removing the seat, but went in much easier by removing the passenger front seat. I took out my seat because the switch to move it back doesn't function, so I couldn't move ti all the way forward.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by sogood
I put up a post a while back, with some pics, covering this topic. I didn't remove any seats, just let the front seats forward and lowered as far as possible, after undoing the various, clips, handle/grabs, visors, overhead console etc. Leving the seats in the normal position allows you to rest the liner on them once it has dropped. Then move the seats as described, rotate the liner inside the car, so it is facing to the rear and fold it! Yes, fold it, along its length, but not a tight bend, more of a roll if you like, and remove it through the rear passenger door. Its a bit of a squeeze at time and seems scary, but it is very tough and resilient. After recovering it, its no harm to leave it sitting overnight, upside down,to allow the adhesive to really bond, before reversing the proces to install it again. This really works, no damage at all, see my pics.
But how did you undo the two clips in the back for the sunscreens?

And after you unscrew the handles on the ceiling, what then? The console, I got that, did more than enough times trying to work out the sunscreen. Visors, that's nothing. The handles I can undo easy enough, but what about the leather / vinyl trim holding the headliner up and those sunscreen clips?

Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

The rear sunscreen clips screw in, just like the sun visor clips, except that the screws are covered by a little plastic flap.

This flap is "hinged" insofar as it has a crack, or score line running across it and they are held in by tension, with a tiny little tang.

Basically, insert a very fine screwdriver (like the ones you repair glasses with) into the space between the flap and the clip itself, at either end of the score line/crack and just lever it down. It will pop out, bending along the score line in the process.

Press it back in to refit. After removing the overhed handles/grabs, the plastic cover will pull off easily.

It is held in with plastic studs and will pop off easily. Look out for the odd stud that may fly off in the process. You only have to remove the front sections, from the dashboard. Start at the join (behind the grab) and work towards the front and it will then lift slightly up from the dashboard and off.

The rear section is more problematic but doesn't have to be removed fully, just pulled back as much as possible. This allows access to the two metal tangs on either side, that the liner sits down on.

Fold these out to release the liner, and with the console removed, slide the liner forward to help it to clear the plactic covers that are left in place. As you are doing it you will see what I mean and it is simple.

It is also useful to just unplug the alarm connector which is up behind the console, and leave the wiring and sensors in place on the liner and then remove them after the liner is taken out.

They are more accessible and easier to replace when you have the liner removed. The covers on the sensors are just a clip on push fitting and the actual sensor is held on via two little plastic studs.

You can leave the cables in place once the sensors are disconnected. Dont forget the wiring plugs on the sun visors also, you may have to pull the wiring out a little to expose these.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JimC64; 09-15-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: CREATE LINE BREAKS