XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

The "most common" problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Old 05-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh, not feeling too good after reading these common problem lists!

Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 AM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 97X300VP
oh, not feeling too good after reading these common problem lists!
Don't worry. Few of them are critical, and most are easily remedied.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Oubadah
Don't worry. Few of them are critical, and most are easily remedied.

....and not all the cars develop all the faults :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Looking at these lists of problems with Jaguar cars in general and the X300 version in particular, it begs the question, "Why the heck did I buy a jag?" .

Well, I guess we all know the answer to that one.
Does my car have faults? ...... Sure it does.
Do I care? .......... Not really.
It starts, stops, steers and goes like the clappers when I ask it to.
There are a few unrecognised sounds from the front end now and then and I sometimes hear a rumble from the rear but until those noises drown out Led Zep on the stereo, who cares. All I know is that there do not seem to be any leaks of oil or other vital fluids anywhere in the engine bay.
For a 16 year old car she's doing well. Sure, she has her flaws but I wouldn't like to embarrass her by listing them all here, lol

Cheers. m'dears,
Steve

The following users liked this post:
stevendvon (02-05-2013)
Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
....and not all the cars develop all the faults :-)

Cheers
DD
It's the sagging headliner fault that really gets me. It's an absolute disgrace that such a quality car suffered from this problem. It's bad construction of the headlining and the adhesive used, plain & simple. No freak breakdown or wear & tear issues that could apply to mechanical parts. The headlining assembly and fixing was faulty when it left the factory and they should have been replaced it under re-call/warranty irrespective of the years involved.
I wonder what percentage of cars suffered (suffer?) from this?
How many members of this forum have had this problem?
I've had many cars over the years and none has experienced this.
Shame on Jaguar for this.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by biffta
It's the sagging headliner fault that really gets me. It's an absolute disgrace that such a quality car suffered from this problem. It's bad construction of the headlining and the adhesive used, plain & simple. No freak breakdown or wear & tear issues that could apply to mechanical parts. The headlining assembly and fixing was faulty when it left the factory and they should have been replaced it under re-call/warranty irrespective of the years involved.

I've always found Jags to be mostly high quality with just enough el-cheapo stuff to keep us on our toes and prevent us from accumulating any excess cash....which would invariably be used for something sinful. I, for example, never go to taverns since buying my first Jag 14 years ago. And whorehouses are now completely out of the question :-).

If it makes you feel any better (it probaby won't) the sagging headliner thing is by no means a Jaguar exclusive. I've seen it on a wide variety of cars since the late 70s when glue-on headliners began appearing. It is disappointing, though, I agree.

What's amazing to me is that the *industry* hasn't found a decent glue and/or backing material to prevent the problem.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
dagny747 (02-27-2015), mrleemyles (12-31-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

The sagging headliner, it's not from the glue, the urethane sponge liner behind the cloth easily corrodes. In Japan we have hot and humid weather, so 100% Jaguars have experienced this. The genuine headliner won't solve the problem, for the material for the sponge is still the same. Every Japanese owner change them with cloth made in Japan, which will never corrode.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 PM

I can honestly say that I have never sat in my car and looked at the headlining. Nor has any passenger made a comment about it. I read stuff on here and say to myself, "I must have a look at that when I go out to the car again", but then, when i DO go out to the car again it's because I want to go somewhere and I'm thinking about that rather than what's going on with the cloth above my head. I guess that as long as it stays up there and doesn't drop down over my eyes while driving, it'll be fine.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 PM

OK, I couldn't stand the suspense any longer so I went out for a quick inspection of the headlining. I'm no expert on these things but it appears to be as taut as it was 16 years ago when it left the factory, even round all the electrical bits at the front.
Phew!!

Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

100% of those that have headliners....eventually

put me on the list......

Biffta...consider yourself fortunate.....or could it be that you don't "love" your cars long enough to experience it with your non-jags? I've had 3 flavors:
1) Headliner has sagged (cloth separated from foam backing)
2) Headliner will sag some day...
3) No headliner (Jeep CJ just has bare fiberglass overhead (when that sags....I'm probably upside down or a tree has fallen on me.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

If the car sees a lot of sun, the headlining will sag eventually. If the car has to exist in a very hot climate (Singapore), the headlining will likely sag regardless of direct sun exposure.

If you live in a cold climate, drive mostly at night, and always park your car under shelter, the headlining can last indefinitely.

Due to the driving/parking habits of the previous owner of my car, it's original headlining is still firmly in place. It also has the factory paint job, with no fading or clear coat peeling. Shame about all the stone chips

Old 06-04-2011, 03:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went for a drive in my X300 again yesterday, still a beautiful car to behold and drive, reading some of the threads here is quite disturbing! the problems, the lists of ongoing mechanical/electrical traumas would lead one to deduce that to buy a used Lada would be the way to go!!...Jaguar..POOH!! I took the car out shopping last friday and on my way home was stopped by the police at a checkpoint, after fulfilling all the license obligations reg/warrant a female officer approached and asked if she could have a look at the car, she looked inside, had a look at the engine and enquired about the yucky rocker cover( I explained the problem) she then commented like many others on what a beautiful car it was, I thanked her and left!! SO! there are people out there whom still see it as a status thing, even though it cost me a third of what a ford or holden would cost it holds it's own in the status stakes and always will! Yes! we have had the rocker problem, and the headlining, and the crankangle sender unit, the oil pressure sender unit but apart from these little things....nothing! I/we are very happy with our 1997 X300.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Yep, adding to a 2 year old thread...

I was surprised to see out of the list of 51 common issues with the x300 that the console cup holder was not mentioned.
I know there was an updated version of the mechanism that fails but I heard it, too, fails.

I'll never use an aftermarket cup holder so I guess I'm SOL.

The following users liked this post:
99ragtop (02-25-2014)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Boyo's question in the "Rocker Massage" thread got my curiosity piqued;

Therefore I invite all so-inclined to weigh-in with your X300 issues, past and present.

I obtained a '95 VDP in late Aug, 2010 with 63K miles, practically mint condition, housed in a heated/cooled garage and impeccably maintained!
(lucky me!!!) even so, it sports/has sported in my ownership, the following "flaws:"

- Anti-Lock light (with help from Motorcarman have diagnosed as ABS module cracked solder joints but haven't pulled it for repair yet)
- Intermittent Secondary Air pump codes illuminate Chk Eng light
- Memory seat inop (seat moves all axis, but memory doesn't work)
- Clock digits show up occasionally on a whim and a dare, otherwise blank
- Right front door speaker rumbles
- Seat heaters inop (both sides)
- Low / no oil pressure indication
- Bubbles in Engine top cover (valve cover)
- Sagging Headliner

So what's going on with other X300's out there? I believe all of mine can be found in one version or another of the "pre-buy checklists" available on this forum or others, and yet, there is a bunch of other stuff on those lists that I'm thankful I avoided, though I did see a lot of those problems in vehicles I looked at. The list above looks kind of imposing, but honestly, it is a beautiful car and an absolute pleasure to drive (100 mi / day, actually) and I really had to spend awhile thinking of these to put the list together. This thread is a stab at "most common" not most serious, most annoying, most difficult to diagnose or anything like that.
Can anyone explain where the right front door speaker rumble comes from? I've had new speakers professionally installed and still have the rumble.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Speaker change solved mine.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constant whirling in rear end

it started at 90,000 miles and jag has 137000 miles now. Whirl starts at 20 mph and increases in pitch to around 45mph and is constant from there. Changed rear end fluid with Lucas 12000 miles ago- no change. Also have lubed rear u joints, they are fine. No slop in diff. pinion. What is most common bearing to cause noise in the rear, how to change it and procedure?
Also, wife had slight front end wreck after all the above. How to realign the hood with the fenders would be appreciated. thanks

Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I guess I've had most of the problems since I've had 97 since 1999. The remaining things for me are exhaust system, all the little lights on the ski slope and nice to have would be front and back seat heaters working again. One thing I will say is even when it looked like ****, the transmission and the engine always have been rock solid. I remember about four years ago with the roof and back deck peeling someone ripped the Jaguar off the hood. I had that replaced in two days because it just wasn't right driving it without a leaper

Old 03-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Everyone is faster than XJ6 4.0

My car has no problems except for the loss of the memory seating function and the clock display missing a few LCD elements. Dad bought it new , always garaged, I bought it 6 months ago and drive it everyday in a vigorous, sporting fashion and put it into my garage every evening. Elevation 5300 ft, dry climate and four seasons.

After driving an XKR coupe 2002 for 2.5 years, only problem is the car loses any spontaneous and informal drag races you partake off the line. Nevertheless, it is more fun around turns than my 7 years newer Lexus LS430 sedan with the rare Sport suspension and massive brakes.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of an old thread but heres my list.
Headliner in rear us sagging, not unusual for any older car, had many that had bad headliners, lits of GM cars are bad about it.
Loose steering wheel, not bad but noticeable. Old GM cars with adjustable steering wheels had the same pribkem but probably easier to fix. Not going to mess with this until its real bad.
Inoperable drivers piwer seat. Only thing that wirks is the lumbar support air bag thing, which I dont use. Have checked alk the fuses in the car, replaced 2 bad ones. No change. Cant check relays since they are under the seat, lol, cant lift it high enough to get to them. No heated seats in mine. Its just barely in a comfirtable position, so can wait untik better weather to mess with.
Thunking noise in front, mist likely shock bushings, that can also wait.
Leaking valve cover on front, passenger side, dripping onto chain tensioner. That Im going to have to get done sooner.
Fig lights dont work at all. Havent really checked them yet to find out why.
Cup holder broken and useless, and annoyingly in the way. Would remive it but look even funnier with a hole there. Thinking of a way to fix it without spending a lot of money. Its a 97 Vanden Plas by the way, with 135000 on it.
May have the delaninated harmonic balancer, has a belt sqeal at cold start up and alternator doesnt charge until the sqealing stops. It does need a idler pukley on the AC fir sure and velts. I did mark the balancer to check mivement of pulleys, just have to run it more and recgeck marks to see whats going on.
Thankfully, the engine, trans, and rear axle are all working well and is so nice to drive with good handling. I ran two cans of Berrynabs carb cleaner through the gas tank, that has made it run harder and smoother, power has improved.
My late fathers 97 BMW 740i has its own problems, typical of normal e38 glitches. Fortunately, it also runs well now.

Quick Reply: The "most common" problems?