XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

The "most common" problems?

Old 12-24-2015, 04:55 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Common problems

Don't forget the dreaded rust, its a common issue in damper climates and here in the UK always something to consider. When I bought my x300 I had to weld up three small areas around the forward jacking points and sill to floor pan, despite the bodywork being rust free.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oops, I forgot, my clock is dead also. Cimpletely rust free here in Alabama, car was bought and driven in Arkansas though. Maybe Bill Clinton chased his women in it, lol. No stains in the seats though, or cigar burns.

The following users liked this post:
97vdp (08-23-2017)
Old 12-25-2015, 10:34 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

They are great cars! And cheap! Of course ANY car of this vintage has issues - they however have the WOW factor! Similar sports luxury cars cost far more and lack that particular attraction.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

When I got the XJ6 for the wife a couple of years ago, it had nearly every amenity dead. Nothing worked and the car wouldn't even start.

Slowly but surely, I have nailed down each of the problems and today I romp around in a car that feels solid and confident.

I have an ongoing list of repairs to do with the car like all the cars in our family but I can tell you that this car deserves the repairs while my BMW X5 can burn in hell....lol

Here is a pic of the way she sits right now. Believe me, it didn't look like this two years ago.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ay-jag-104159/

Name:  IMG_1698_zpspdpw41io.jpg
Views: 6592
Size:  165.0 KB

The following users liked this post:
freqeist1 (11-27-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 09:21 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by biffta
It's the sagging headliner fault that really gets me. It's an absolute disgrace that such a quality car suffered from this problem. It's bad construction of the headlining and the adhesive used, plain & simple. No freak breakdown or wear & tear issues that could apply to mechanical parts. The headlining assembly and fixing was faulty when it left the factory and they should have been replaced it under re-call/warranty irrespective of the years involved.
I wonder what percentage of cars suffered (suffer?) from this?
How many members of this forum have had this problem?
I've had many cars over the years and none has experienced this.
Shame on Jaguar for this.

My headlining is held up with oatmeal coloured drawing pins

Old 04-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

The problem with headlining material is that the thin foam backing deteriorates over time and lets the facing material loose and so the common curtain/bubble effect. Replacement is the only fully effective remedy. I have had this on numerous "old" cars!

Old 11-27-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default common probs; mine

• Sagging headlining that all XJ6s seem to have!
  • Roof paintwork badly damaged from being stood under a tree for some time – basically needs respraying.
  • Small bump to front passenger side bumper that has been tidied up with touch up kit but needs filling / painting.
  • Drivers side seat has various cracks / small tears in leather – was quoted £95 to repair and tear and treat front seat in leather care crème.
  • Drivers electric headrest does not work (motor can be heard but doesn’t move).
  • Steering wheel adjustment intermittent (suspect motor is on its way out – have seen on e-bay for £40).
  • Cruise control doesn’t work.
  • Clock screen pixels have pretty much died (people on e-bay recondition these for about £40-50).
  • Air con could do with a service.
  • ABS light intermittently comes on in cold weather but brakes work fine.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

I've been driving my x300 3.2 for about three years, currently, has 270 000 km on the clock. I think most of the problems I've had are already listed but will add what I've had to fix since driving it.
Replaced Cam cover (paint bubbled)
Replaced centre and rear heater vents (fins were broken)
Replaced drivers side switch pack (mirror adjuster had snapped off)
Replaced windscreen washer bottle (mountings had sheared off and was leaking)
Replaced Coils, Cam position sensor and water temp sensor (chasing a no start and rough idle problem)
Replaced body tray twice, I should be more careful of high curbs.
Fitted a new Fuel sender unit, this corrected my faulty fuel gauge
Had the ABS control module repaired (bad solder joint)
I thought I had a problem with the timing chain tensioner, however, the new coils listed above seemed to have fixed the noise I was attributing to this, as well as correcting the rough idle.
Everything else I've done has been under the heading of general maintenance i.e Filters, oils, plugs and the like. I've also upgraded the head and tail lights with ones from an X308 as they are an improvement and direct swap.