XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Need a little help with AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile Need a little help with AC

Hi Guys, The title got a little screwed up and cannot be edited. Help with AC needed.

Having a little problem with Air conditioning performance. Might have a contaminated expansion valve. Search info says the expansion valve is part of evaporator. Looking at parts, the pictures of the evaporator does not show an expansion valve connected, but the evaporator is sold with the valve. My question is the valve part of the evaporator in that this is one unit? Or can the expansion valve be seperated from the evaporator? A seperate expansion valve is offered for sale at Parts Geek.

Does someone have a picture showing an OEM evaporator assembly and how it is installed in the car. I know where it is. Right under the dash where it is $%^& hard to get to.

Pictures would be a great help.

Thanks guys

Last edited by GGG; 05-15-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: edit typo in thread title
Old 05-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

you need to take down the dash board in order to access the evaporator. The expansion valve can be bought separately.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Originally Posted by EZDriver
Having a little problem with Air conditioning performance. Might have a contaminated expansion valve.
Hi EZDriver,

What leads you to suspect the expansion valve is contaminated? Have you had the system checked by a professional AC tech? Might be worth the modest cost before undertaking all the work required to get at the evaporator/expansion valve, unless you're certain that's where the problem lies.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
BigBossRadio (05-17-2014), cool (05-14-2014), MountainMan (05-28-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

I am aware that taking down the dash is required to access the area where the evaporator and expansion valve are located. Just hoping someone would have a picture of where exactly the expansion valve is located. I know it is not part of the evaporator.

And we, me and my professional AC tech friend, suspect the valve may be contanimated due to pressure variations as well as unballanced cooling from the cooling ducts.

Access can be achieved through the right side without removing the complete instrument panal. I did that a few years ago. I'll take pictures this time and publish them. It might help someone save a lot of work and a whole lot of labor cost if a Professional AC Tech does the job for you.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

It is part of the evaporator assembly but can be removed and replaced if you can find the correct part. Jag only sells the entire assembly as a unit.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by EZDriver
Hi Guys, The title got a little screwed up and cannot be edited. Help with AC needed. ............
I've edited the thread title to add the 'A' in 'AC'. Members can edit their own posts but not the thread titles.

Graham

Old 05-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AllanG
It is part of the evaporator assembly but can be removed and replaced if you can find the correct part. Jag only sells the entire assembly as a unit.
Thanks for the input. But I am still confused. I have a new evaporator. And I have a picture of the expansion valve. The two don't seem to be mounted together. And no where in the parts manuals do they show the detail installation.

But still not sure that is where the problem is. The problem is very intermittant. Several more test are planned before going after the dash. If that is where the porblem is a liquid cleaning will be tried first. Removing dash is last on list.

Thanks again.