XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

new guy--new car question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new guy--new car question

Hello, I have introduced myself in the intro forum, so I thought I would post a couple questions. My "new" car is a 1995 x300. The interior is in excellent condition and all the electrics appear to work fine. No seat tears or missing trim, and the carpets are clean. The exterior is suffering from extreme sun fade (south Texas 100 {f} summers). I dropped it off yesterday for a complete re-paint with all the little dings removed also. I think the color is called sandstone? Tan anyways. The car has 118,000 miles and seems to run very well. Transmission performs well in both normal and sport mode. There is a clunk from the rear over small bumps (we have terrible roads) do you think I need shocks and bushings? I have never driven a Jaguar before so I'm not sure how stiff the ride should be. Is there anything I should look to right away? The previous owner indicated he had changed the oil (looks clean) and replaced the air filter. I want to make sure I maintain the car right. Oh, it left an oil spot in my drive after I got it home (50 mile drive), but has not really leaked since--yes there is still oil in it Well, anything special I should know---please let me know. Scott

Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Okay, for the clunking when going over bumps. That can be cured by new bushings. You may also want to replace the shocks while you're at it. If you're going to do it yourself, do a search, and you will find a very nice write up on it. Someone very recently was going through the motions.

I wouldn't worry too terribly much about the oil, unless it leaks again. I don't see why it would stop.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Welcome Scott. Enjoy your stay, it is fun.

As already mentioned, keep an eye on that oil leak/drop, as the AJ16 is an oil tight engine. Establish first if it is in fact engine oil, coz you got power steer fluid, trans fluid, all located under the hood. The most common leak (if you can call it that) is the camcover gasket, and then the oil runs down the RH side of the engine and onto the ground at some point, run your finger around the rim and see if you get "wet".

The oil gauge sender unit/switch. located up on top of the oil filter housing (easy to get at and see, NOT) is another documented leak area.

The "large" hose coming out of the power steer fluid container and going to the pump inlet (1/2" hose) is a weep/leak place due to the container being plastic, and if the original hose is still on there (more than likely) it will be quite hard, and the clamp will no longer be providing an oil tight seal. I replaced mine with basic hydraulic hose from a hose manufaturer (Enzed) and 2 new clamps, oily mess gone. No need for high pressure hose coz the oil is just gravity fed to the pump.

Enjoy

Old 09-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Thanks

Thank you for the replies Grant and Hat. I do plan to replace the shocks and bushings. I did notice a slightly oily appearance to the front right side of the engine---the valve cover gasket may need to be replaced. When I do that I will most likely go ahead and change the spark plugs also. The car won't be back from the paint shop until this coming Friday. Pins and needles as I only got to drive it for two days before I sent it off. I probably should have looked to the mechanicals first, but the sun fading was bad enough that I was worried agout rust breaking out. Luckily the car came from Austin, Texas which is a good place to be if you are made of metal . Now it is closer to the ocean so more care is needed. I am also going to replace the tires. The tread was good, but the sidewalls had some checking...etc. I had a slight front end vibration between 65-70 mph so I hope balancing the wheels will help that.