XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New XJR-6 Owner, Have some questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XJR-6 Owner, Have some questions.....

I just purchased a 1995 XJR, black on black with 100k miles. It is in excellent condition for its age overall but does have some small and annoying issues I would like to take care of. I have never owned a Jag before but have had plenty of other cars and would be willing to tackle just about any repair myself.

1. The central locking button does not work and neither does the keyless entry remote, I tried reprogramming the remote as per the instructions on this forum and it didn't work however the red light on the central locking button was flashing when I put it in programming mode. The doors do lock automatically when I put it in drive, unlock when i touch the door handle and work fine when I put the key in the door.

2. The jaguar button on the trunk does nothing when I press it however the trunk opens fine with the key and when using the button inside the car. I took the carpet/trim off the trunk lid and checked all the wires/connections and they were ok, I think this is related with problem 1.

3. The drivers heated seat does not work, the passenger seat works fine and when I hit the switch I could hear a relay click, I can not hear that noise when I hit the switch on the drivers side which leads me to believe the relay is bad, can someone tell me if I am on the right track and where it is located?

I really love this car overall and want to make sure I work out all of the little problems now so issues don't start piling up and never get fixed.

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

1. Check the batteries (two) in the remote - I think they might be BR2125 - but don't remember of the top of my head.

2. I read that those buttons sometimes quit working - if not used regularly.
However, as you surmised, it may be that the car thinks it's in valet mode (I had that occur on our S-Type), but I think in that case the inside button should not work either... Did you try it out with the black headed key in the ignition - and then pushing the button on the trunk (the black key in the ignition may override the valet mode, this won't solve the problem, but might help to diagnose the root cause)
Christian

Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Default locking

is your trunk light on?
do the drive away locks work?
and finally can you lock yourself in the car?
if so does the panic button on dash work?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I know it's obvious, ....but....(where angels fear to tread and all that..)
Make sure both "rubbers" on your key FOB are properly positioned. I've had a couple of occasions where mine ceased working, then mysteriously "fixed" itself a day later. Last time I encountered it, I studied the FOB more carefully, and found the "unlock" button had a tiny bit of the edge tucked down into the opening in the FOB. Once freed and in proper position, everything worked fine. I was already running on new batteries, so doubted that was it in my case. Can't remember which website, but I was looking at an X300 listing and the desc. said the key-FOB lock/unlock was inop, and had a picture of the FOB, and the button was similarly displaced.

I don't claim to understand it, if it was actuating the switch underneath, it should set off the panic alarm...but didn't .....but no red lights, no lock actuation, until I freed the edges all around.

If you sort the butt-heater, please post. Neither of mine seem to work, though the red lights light, I hear no relay click on either. Not THAT big of a deal here in TX...still...would like to fix 'em.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ronnie96X300
is your trunk light on?
do the drive away locks work?
and finally can you lock yourself in the car?
if so does the panic button on dash work?
The trunk light isn't on but occasionally, the trunk will open by it self which leads me to believe the jaguar button on the trunk may be bad, I already inspected all the wires and they look ok.

The driveaway locks do work fine and I can lock the doors by just pushing down on the drivers door lock rod and all the doors will lock.

I'm not sure what you mean by the panic button? If your talking about the hazards, yes they work fine

Old 12-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

For your seat heater problem, there is a good chance that the seat element is broke. Mine does the same thing, you can hear the relay. The cushion and seat back run in series, if one brakes they both go out. You can pull the seat and check for continuity. There are aftermarket elements that you can pull the leather back and replace it. Then splice the wires to the old plug. I jumped the wire from the seat cushion to get the seat back to work. I DON'T recommend do this because the single element has to low of resistance and over heats it. I can only keep the heater on for about 2 mins and I'm sure it's reducing the life of the element.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Drew,

Holeshot says he doesn't hear the relay on the dysfunctional one. I don't hear it on either of mine (both dysfunctional) so could you help me out? You say above, yours does the same thing, but then add, "you can hear the relay." I'm having trouble reconciling it all.

Thanks

Old 12-01-2010, 01:30 PM

Sorry, I mis read his post. My driver's side relay is a lot quieter when the relay clicks. Try grabbing the seat control module while you press the seat heater button. If you can feel the click, then it should be getting power. If not it's either the button, driver seat control module, body processor module or a fuse that controls any of these. Oh, I forgot to ask, do you have a memory seat? Other wise the driver control module is replaced with a relay.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

>>>Oh, I forgot to ask, do you have a memory seat? <<<<

as my former German colleagues would say, "Yein!!!"

have memory seat; doesn't work. Motorcarman scanned it and told me which sensor is at fault, though I didn't note the exact code nor sensor, I distinctly recall him saying "Failed one is the hardest one to change...there are 5 sensors and they cost $300/ea..."
Anyway....memory function not that dear to me, so I just switched it off "Auto" and left it alone. (My seat would retract fully each time I removed the key and then not return, except manually)

I'll hafta consult my x300 disc and locate the appropriate modules and fuses to see if I can further isolate the heaters...but for now...it's fuel-drain-o-ring renew time for the diesel Excur......Followed by heater hose renewal Sat... if the rest of the hoses come in....betting Holeshotz will figure it out before I get back to messing with the Jag...

Appreciate the tips on where to look, and how to diagnose, though!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

Got my clock module back from ModuleMasters today and installed it. Key on long enough during this procedure for all the bells, blowers, whistles, and BIT tests to complete, so had a relatively noise-free environment. Actuated seat-heaters and I actually do get a relay click on both driver's and passenger's seat-heaters. So I'm likely in the boat with Drew, with failed elements.

Drew, I see what you mean about the driver's side click being a lot quieter. Also, it sounds like it is behind the dash, whilst Pax-side sounds like it may be under the seat.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM

Memory seat or non, the relay is under the seat. The relay for the memory seat heater is incorporated into the seat control module. Non-memory seats just have a relay that is under the seat.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Chiming in here because I have seat heater problems as well....and mine has memory seats, too.

It's interesting that I/we hear *anything* behind the dash since the relay (or relay function) is incorporated into the seat control module. On my car one side does give a less audible click....can't remember whether it's left of right....but the sounds is coming from the left and right sides of the dash.

I was able to bring the passenger side seat heater back to life by removing/reinstalling the "logic ground" next to the battery. There are several grounds there. This one is a single black/pink wire. I guess doing so re-booted the modules or something (?)

The driver's side remains inop. I'll have to do more digging

Cheers
DD

Old 05-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Body Processor Module

Hi,

Can someone tell me where is that beast located

1995 XJ6 VDP 4.0L left hand drive

Thank you so much

Claude