XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

No ones knows why my alignment keeps going

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No ones knows why my alignment keeps going

on my 95 XJ6. Well, "no one" = 2 Firestone shops (i know, LOLfirestone...). A day after my alignment the car started pulling to the right, in the same way it did before i got the alignment. No abusing driving, just a commute to work over fairly decent roads.

Firestone checked the front end and found the bushings and everything to be "fine". The only thing they found worn out are my shocks . Could that have anything to do with causing bad alignment?

New parts ive had installed since I took ownership of the xj6 in april : Tie rod ends, front LEFT ball joints, front and rear LEFT wheel bearings, new tires.

So im thinking that because of the new components on the left side, there is some type of inbalance on the right side as a result of a difference in "tightness". Firestone said the right side looks OK, but im going with my instint. The most ive ever done is change my oil. But i suspect something , because of the above stated, plus the fact that whenever i hit bumps theres a "chirping squeek" coming from the front RIGHT side, around the wheel area.

Im tempted to get new ball joints on the front right side. What do youthink?

Old 08-05-2010, 02:53 PM

New shocks are my next priority also, because the car is all over the place.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I know what your problem is.

"This is a frequent source of problems on the Jaguar, as the correct factory procedure for tracking alignment requires that the suspension is pre-loaded ( ie. Tied down with a known force ) before the adjustment is made. Few garages are aware of this and therefore almost always set excessive toe-out.

Excessive toe-out produces vague steering, tramlining and excessive wear on the inside edges of the front tyres. By contrast, toe-in causes wear on the outer edges of the tyres and produces a stronger self-centring effect on the steering."

-Courtesy of Jag-Lovers' Ebook

I'd recommend checking to see if a shop you've already been to can do it. If not, then off to the Jag dealership. I don't know for sure because I haven't done an alignment since I've had the car.

With regards to you'r squeaking from the right side, it's just a worn bushing. You'll replace that when you replace the shock.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:38 PM

THanks. Looks like I'll be having Firestone refund the $130 for lifetime alignments since they cant do it right.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm Hunter certified for alignments. As long as the components are tight there shouldn't be any sort of imbalance just because there are new components on one side and not the other. Think about it...cars go into a shop all the time and have only one balljoint replaced or only one tie rod replaced; but those vehicles don't come back a day (or even 6 months later) with an alignment all out of whack.

I'm surprised firestone can't simulate the proper loads. BMW calls for a similar procedure as our Jags and using sandbags with a known weight in different areas of the vehicle (seats and the trunk) usually produces good results.

I lined my own Jag up roughly a year and a half ago and checked it recently. Even after tons of miles on nasty new england roads my alignment is still dead nuts even. Try the sandbag method...or fertilizer...or anything else you can get your hands on with a known weight

The following users liked this post:
HVEN (06-22-2012)