XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil problem

The oil either burns off or leaks somewhere but I dont see any new stains in the driveway.
There are a few signs of leaks on different hoses and perhaps it only leaks when driving?
Im going to clean and tighten the hoses that are problematic.

oil pressure drops when rpm reach 100 but then when rpms reaches 200 the oil pressure goes up to 4

oil pressure warning light only turns on when the car is not moving for a few minutes and then turns off when it goes up again.

car stinks of fumes when driving for a while either the exhaust or under the hood

separate issue may be related is coolant light on

coolant seems pretty full. either too full and burning off excess or not full and engine
overheating

Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,001 Likes on 679 Posts

CC,

How much oil are you losing? Is bottom of engine wet with oil? A little loss is ok when you have 8 quarts in. AJ16 engine is not usually an oil burner.

Not sure about low RPM oil pressure warning. Could be a sensor problem.

Should not have fumes inside closed car! Check exhaust pipes for leaks. But sometimes fumes get in if the dash vent is set to let outside air in.

Coolant level sensor has a float inside the coolant tank. If float is stuck down (or the tank is empty), the red light on the right side of cluster stays on. Look inside tank with a flashlight, the float is a white ring and should float up as it is submerged in the coolant. Even if level is good overheating can occur for different reasons. Don't drive overheated!!

Don't confuse the red coolant warning light, with the yellow windshield washer fluid light on the left side of the cluster.

The following users liked this post:
Chris Craddock (09-07-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 03:42 PM

Sorry for the late reply I have been out of town
My coolant tank doesn't seen to have a floating ring. Is there a different sensor in my car?
It just has two bars min and max. Right now its topped of just to the edge of max.
It is definitely the coolant light that is on and not the washer. Could it be a leaK?
The thermostat stays right in the middle. But the engine and the mufflers get really hot to
the touch.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

The temp gauge reads in the middle because it is designed that way. It only goes above that when it's too late. If you are not losing coolant, it might be a faulty sensor, or the thermostat is not opening all the way. It is possible that you are burning oil due to overheating, but there should be oil smoke then.
Were it my car, I would avoid driving it until these issues are resolved.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,001 Likes on 679 Posts

You can easily see the wire connection on the tank where the sensor is. Not so easy to see the float on the inside, but it floats above where the sensor is, the ring encircling the sensor peg, that is dry mounted on the outside of the tank! Quite an unusual setup. That ring gets stuck down (not floating), causing the light. You shouldn't lose any coolant in the short-term. If so, you have a leak somewhere!

Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Ill take a look
I dont have any oil smoke
It just gets hot but maybe thats normal
Where is the temp gauge ruffly
and as for the coolant hopefully I can figure out if its stuck
It doesnt seem to be going down in volume But ill keep a close watch on it.
The oil seens not to be going down any more. It did at first seem to but I also just recently changed the oil pan?!?!? I dont know if it was a result in that
also still having oil pressure drops when idling.