XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Please help asap

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please help asap

Hi, I was driving today and my a/c compressor belt snapped and cut the wire in control of my fans. Wire is still in one piece but pretty damaged. Would it be possible to maybe splice the wire back together and it not be too much of a hazard? If not could someone please get me a part number some instructions on replacing this cable?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:55 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

As you are up there, and I am down here, I no not the names of various auto parts stores, but Walmart, Pep Boys etc come to mind.

Slide on in there and get some "crimp butt style joiners" (dont laugh, thats their name), and down here I would select the BLUE colour size to suit the heavyish wire for the fans. Cut the wires (ONE AT A TIME), strip back some insulation, and rejoin with one of these joiners, using a crimping tool for a good solid crimp. This will eliminate the damaged section. Then do the other wire. I am assuming that the damage is a small section of the insulation. If it is a LONG section, then simply purchase some suitable wire at the same time, and using the same joiners, add a suitable length of wire to the harness (loom as we call it). Some insulation tape will make it all look nice and neat.

When you replace that belt, DO NOT forget that plastic idler pulley, as it will be getting very worn by now, and will fail, and cause even more grief.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 01-17-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Thank you for your input Grant Francis. After a closer look today the wire is not actually cut, however the connecting head to the higher aux fan is severely damaged. Not repairable.

Name:  coolingfanhead.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  89.8 KB

That mess of balled up wire in the background is the wire casing that lead me to believe the wire had been sliced. I've gotten the bumper off and taken the wire out and if I'm reading it right through all the dirt and old age the part no. is LNA3125AE.

Should I be headed to the dealership for this one?

Last edited by jhxj6; 01-17-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

A salvage yard will have one if you can get the people to remove it intact and NOT get the wire cutters out.

Or you could just get the end WITH the wire cutters and splice it to your harness.

bob gauff

Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM

thank you motorcarman. I went today to a local body shop and took a look at a few junk xj6's they had sitting in the back. I pulled the harness from one of them (the only one that had it) and brought it home. after I put it in my fans still did not engage. I looked inside the plug and noticed that one my damaged one it says "amp 2" however on my new one it says "amp 3". Does this mean this new one is not compatible with my xj6?

Old 01-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Is there a possibility that I need to also reinstall my bumper for the fans to turn on?

Old 01-19-2012, 04:07 AM

Firstly it is only 2 wires with a specific plug on the end that attaches to the fan.

My first suggetion would be the fuse/s are blown due to mess that plug was in, something would have shorted me thinks.

If after the fuse investigation, and the fans still no work, then using a volt meter, check for voltage on one wire, the other will be earth.

Those plugs are not unique to Jag. My sons BMW has the same plug on his fans, so what you got is more than likely OK, and the numbers are just for assembly purposes in production??.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 PM

The fuses were ok also but I replaced them anyways. I checked for voltage and couldn't find any at the heads of the harness, I did find voltage at the fuse box, still trying to get the relay off. These fans are supposed to engage upon ignition, right?

Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by jhxj6
The fuses were ok also but I replaced them anyways. I checked for voltage and couldn't find any at the heads of the harness, I did find voltage at the fuse box, still trying to get the relay off. These fans are supposed to engage upon ignition, right?
That depends on whether the modification was made to your car that makes the fans run at low speed all the time. [Unless high engine temp or high AC head pressure signal high speed] Back at the firewall in front of the passenger seat there are/were two round switches in the AC pipe. If one has been deleted, there should be a white connector with a wire loop. If that is there, the fans should run at low speed ANYTIME the ignition is on.

The modification is described in the attached bulletin.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
14-06.pdf (39.5 KB, 126 views)
Old 01-21-2012, 11:41 AM

I do not have the modification. I drove the car today until the thermostat was on normal but still no action from the fans. Going to order a new relay and see what happens

Old 01-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have u tried running a direct feed to the fans? Themselves to make sure they ate working? These cars have vast electrical problems etc for my peace of mind I would run a direct live to them make sure they work

Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM

I've been hesitant to do it because I don't want to damage any wires. Could you give me some instructions on how to go about it?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Are BOTH 30 amp fuses good???????????????

I guess that the fan control relay (module) can be faulty, but I have never replaced one.

The fault is usually the fuses or the fans.

You can SHORT the connector shown in the TSB to engage the fans on LOW with the key ON.

If BOTH fuses are good, then the fans will run in series.
If one fuse is blown, then neither fan will operate on LOW.

bob gauff

Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 AM

I do not have the modification. I drove the car today until the thermostat was on normal but still no action from the fans. Going to order a new relay and see what happens
The cooling fan relay [module] is located below the LH headlamp, it clips on a tab to hold it vertical. If it gets knocked off the tab it hangs upside down by the harness. If that happens it usually fills with water and corrodes terribly.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 PM

Both the 30 amps were fine when I checked them but I went ahead and replaced them anyways. It didn't do anything so I'm assuming the relay has been damaged from the exposed wiring on the head of the harness when it was knocked out by the belt.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Both the 30 amps were fine when I checked them but I went ahead and replaced them anyways. It didn't do anything so I'm assuming the relay has been damaged from the exposed wiring on the head of the harness when it was knocked out by the belt.
Have you tried jumpering the white connector in the AC pipe as Motorcarman suggested?? That would tell you if the system is intact enough to work.

Cheers,

Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 AM

How would I do that?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:33 AM

How would I do that?
Go back to the bulletin I posted before and look at illustration #1. If you have not had the modification, as you said, you could snip the wires off the pressure switch you have and crimp them together with a butt connector. Then they will make a loop like in the illustration.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:16 PM

Will I need to get the modification kit in the tsb later or will this be sufficient for long term use?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:09 AM

I doubt that "kit" is still available.

If the crimping of the 2 wires sorts the fans, forget it and enjoy the drive.

If the fans still do not operate on "low speed", then you either got relay issues, fan/s dead, fuses NOT making proper contact. I know some of these things you have checked/replaced, GOOD.

I am also assuming that prior to this belt fiasco the fans did work????.

Quick Reply: Please help asap