XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radio

i know a lot of you replaced the tired radio in your vdp, my question is, whats involved. i have a 96 vdp xj6. the stereo shop said you'll have to rewire everything. one guy said he won't know until he pulls the head unit out. he said he might be able ti wire it in easy, or he might have to run new wires to each speaker. tell me what you guys did

Old 08-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jagman96
i know a lot of you replaced the tired radio in your vdp, my question is, whats involved. i have a 96 vdp xj6. the stereo shop said you'll have to rewire everything. one guy said he won't know until he pulls the head unit out. he said he might be able ti wire it in easy, or he might have to run new wires to each speaker. tell me what you guys did
No its not that hard to wire (you dont need to run new ones unless something is wrong with them but im guessing its your deck). when you buy a new deck it has a simple guid that tells you what wire (from the jag) goes to what (wire on the wireharness that comes with new deck). then you just have to plug in the wire harness into the deck after you wire it. there will be some extra wires. hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im about to do a radio install as well.. Are the wired color matched as usual?

Old 08-10-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by mrenizzle
Im about to do a radio install as well.. Are the wired color matched as usual?
Im not quite sure what your asking. heres the color of the wires that go to what in the jag tho and you just use the wiring guid that comes with the new deck....
Left front speaker +=grayviolet and -=greyred
rightfront +=graypink and -=greyorange
leftrear +=pink purple and -=black grey
rightrear +=pink green and -=Black white

both the brown greys are consitant 12v (only need to use one)
green orange is power ignition
black is ground
green black is power antena which you conect to the system remote control (usually the blue wire on new decks)

Is this what you are looking for?

Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chavid92
Im not quite sure what your asking. heres the color of the wires that go to what in the jag tho and you just use the wiring guid that comes with the new deck....
Left front speaker +=grayviolet and -=greyred
rightfront +=graypink and -=greyorange
leftrear +=pink purple and -=black grey
rightrear +=pink green and -=Black white

both the brown greys are consitant 12v (only need to use one)
green orange is power ignition
black is ground
green black is power antena which you conect to the system remote control (usually the blue wire on new decks)

Is this what you are looking for?
Perfect! One other Q.. mine is the Vanden Plas and has the Harman Kardon set up, will this make a difference? Thanks!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mrenizzle
Perfect! One other Q.. mine is the Vanden Plas and has the Harman Kardon set up, will this make a difference? Thanks!!!
it doesnt make a difference that is the vanden plas because that is what mine is and it was the same as the xj6. i am not sure on the premium sound. although i would think they would use the same color of wires. you might just have more wires from the amp and the sub.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Just as a side note, there are more lines in the Jaguar harness than Chavid92 has listed. I noticed some for the phone etc. but ignored them all.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Default radio

does anyone have good head unit for sale? mine says not cont when playing the cd. 1996 xj6 vdp

Old 08-14-2010, 11:57 PM

Very easy install...I used the supplied wiring harness adapter for my vehicle but only to avoid splicing any wires into the factory wiring. I ran all new speaker wires to the aftermarket speakers I put in (Polk db series), and ran RCA cables to a 4 channel 400 watt amp in my trunk that I installed. I went overboard using the harness adapter as it's only supplying power and ground, but I didn't want to cut anything. I'm running a Kenwood head (the only company I deal with). Their interfaces are easy to use, sound great for the money, and they have some of the best customer service I have ever experienced which is why I'm a repeat customer. I once had a head unit of theirs in my old Maxima where the display completely went out just 2 weeks outside the warranty. They repaired the unit on their dime regardless that I was outside of the warranty after I sent them a friendly e-mail asking if something could be worked out. THAT is customer service!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JagMan96, the problem you're experiencing is a common one, my radio just started to do that same thing.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...highlight=cont

Oubadah outlined this problem as well as the solution in his thread.

As for people selling radios, your best bet is to contact wreckers in your area and see what they have. I actually called up my local Jaguar dealership and asked them for who they go to for the older jag radios.

You can always try eBay but I've had limited success with that