XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Remote Key FOB problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:02 AM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Remote Key FOB problems

Hi all, I had a thread started about my xj6 not entering learning mode but the problem has "evolved" since then so I figured starting a new one would be better.

1. Using my original remote key fob, doesn't work. I noticed that when I hit the "lock" button, both the green and the red lights flicker. The unlock button seems fine.

2. I ordered another remote off ebay. As my other thread explains, the car can't seem to enter learning mode. Unlock the trunk (by key, by dash button, by boot button all works), open the door, start ignition but not engine, wait for dash lights to extinguish before hitting the valet switch 5x. No beep.

3. I did notice that when the dash lights extinguish the "SRS Air Bag" light stays on. Can that be the cause? I plan to solve that issue another day.

Would appreciate any help on this.

Kopi

Attached Thumbnails Remote Key FOB problems-image.jpg  

Last edited by Kopi; 08-17-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is another thread with lots of info on FOBs and learning mode.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2-x300-112685/

Good luck

Old 08-17-2014, 09:23 AM

Thanks DevilDog. I did come across the thread you suggested and it was very informative. However, the problem i face seems abit different. I am not locked in valet mode (my trunk opens fine with the dash button), and other than the air bag warning light, all my doors lock/unlock perfectly fine with the key.

Any ideas where i should start investigating?

Old 08-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 433hz System

Don't have a remote FOB for your 1996 xj6/Vanden Plas ?
Does your car use the 433mhz remote frequency ?
If it does here is the best solution.
Just buy a cheap after market alarm system. This gives you a brand new remote and not a $100.00 used ugly Jaguar remote.
How?
In these cars if you ground the door unlock wire the doors unlock and disarms the alarm and unlocks the trunk etc.
If you ground the lock wire the doors lock and arms the system and locks the trunk etc.
Any inexpensive after market alarm system can be simply patched in to this system and will operate the factory security system. No programing. No fooling around with your car's security system. It's a done deal.
Check out the link I posted. Now I've found this system perfect. It's tiny, cheap,easy to install, and will roll up your windows with the remote when you press the lock button a second time and hold it. There's no need to install the siren or all the other features(unless you want to). I didn't. Your factory system has all that.
Soundstream Car Alarm 3 Channel Keyless Entry Security System 4 Button | eBay

Now if your car uses the 315mhz system there are the cheap Saab remotes available. You can buy one and just program it to your factory system.
Saab doesn't make a 433mhz remote. So I was stuck.
Also there are those Chinese cloning remotes which can be cloned to a working Jaguar 433mhz remote. That is if you have an original or can borrow one.
Personally I don't like the idea of someone out there with a remote that will operate my car.
So now that we know how simple the 1996 Jaguar xj6 system works go buy that after market alarm system and be happy like me.
Here's all the wiring :

1996 Jaguar XJS Alarm, Remote Starter, Keyless Entry Wiring Information

Do it yourself or let a pro do it. Either way it's simple.... problem solved.

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (08-22-2017)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 AM

Thanks uslow. I have a 315Mhz system. I wish I could just buy another 315 transmitter and program it to my car. Unfortunately, my X300 can't seem to enter learning mode at all. That to me is the bigger issue (I can always buy a new transmitter as you pointed out).

Does anyone else have any thoughts? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to replace the entire security system with an aftermarket type as uslow suggested.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't have any suggestions for you. You can see all the things I tried to get mine to work and how I got it to work in the thread I provided. Good luck. Are you sure it is a 315 and not a 433mhz? Your old remote may be mislabeled. Just a thought.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Kopi
Thanks uslow. I have a 315Mhz system. I wish I could just buy another 315 transmitter and program it to my car. Unfortunately, my X300 can't seem to enter learning mode at all. That to me is the bigger issue (I can always buy a new transmitter as you pointed out).

Does anyone else have any thoughts? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to replace the entire security system with an aftermarket type as uslow suggested.
Have you doubled checked to make sure all connectors are plugged in properly in to the security module that's located by the filler neck in the trunk?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Kopi,
You can do exactly as I did. Provided your system works with the key to arm and lock the doors. It does not replace your system. It serves to arm/lock and disarm/unlock just like the key does at the drivers door. I assume you are operating the system with key in the drivers door. It doesn't matter whether or not you can enter programming mode. Patching in the after market alarm to the door lock/unlock wires is all you do. There's nothing to program. It's really simple. Now if your security system is not functioning this is not the solution.

The following users liked this post:
Lucas1982 (05-25-2022)
Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 AM

Thanks guys. I will check the connectors this weekend. And if I can't diagnose it from there, I guess I'll have to go aftermarket as uslow suggested.

Wish me luck!

Old 05-25-2022, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Uslow,

I like the way you propose to fix the problem with the remote fob. I do have similar one... May be you can help me..
My remote locking works fine in winter when temperatures are low. But when the ambient temperature increases you can press remote lock button 100 times but the car will not receive any signal and will not lock / unlock. I have heard that the problem might be in remote control buttons. But my led lights blinking as should. So it seems that my problem is rather in security module like cold solder joint or so... My questions are:
1. Do you have any experiences how to solve the problem I have?
2. Is there any way how you can manually unlock the car by key without triggering very annoying pre alarm beep and lights blinking till the time you turn the key in the ignition switch?
Btw. I have already changed the batteries, configure both remote controls, check connectors at security ECU in the trunk etc. No improvement.
Thank you!
Lucas

Old 05-25-2022, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uslow
Kopi,
You can do exactly as I did. Provided your system works with the key to arm and lock the doors. It does not replace your system. It serves to arm/lock and disarm/unlock just like the key does at the drivers door. I assume you are operating the system with key in the drivers door. It doesn't matter whether or not you can enter programming mode. Patching in the after market alarm to the door lock/unlock wires is all you do. There's nothing to program. It's really simple. Now if your security system is not functioning this is not the solution.
Hi Uslow,

I like the way you propose to fix the problem with the remote fob. I do have similar one... May be you can help me..
My remote locking works fine in winter when temperatures are low. But when the ambient temperature increases you can press remote lock button 100 times but the car will not receive any signal and will not lock / unlock. I have heard that the problem might be in remote control buttons. But my led lights blinking as should. So it seems that my problem is rather in security module like cold solder joint or so... My questions are:
1. Do you have any experiences how to solve the problem I have?
2. Is there any way how you can manually unlock the car by key without triggering very annoying pre alarm beep and lights blinking till the time you turn the key in the ignition switch?
Btw. I have already changed the batteries, configure both remote controls, check connectors at security ECU in the trunk etc. No improvement.
Thank you!
Lucas