XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Replacing clock

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replacing clock

Like many owners my clock display died quite some time ago. I once tried to effect a repair following advice from others who had restored the display, but I failed miserably and I suspect rendered the thing totally unrepairable by anyone!
My unit has the basic clock display with a button on its left - 'Lock' and another on the right of the display for the hazard lights. All the ones I see for sale however to not match this button configuration, all having a rotary lighting switch on the left and 2 or more buttons on the right (hazard/seat/lock).
What I'd like to know is, if I bought a 'new' working one, could I just plug the wiring cable from my old one into the new one or, because the buttons are different would I possibly find that they weren't now wired correctly and none would work? Assuming also of course that the male plug matches the female in the replacement clock unit.
Thanks

Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It should just plug straight in

The following users liked this post:
biffta (02-25-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 AM

Thanks for that. Appreciated.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Rotary buttons? On clock module? Never seen it. I thought there were only two versions: with and without seat heaters. What you have should have "Lock" button on the left and "Hazard" on the right? The other has a button with a seat icon between each of those and the clock display, corresponding to left and right seat heaters.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 AM

All the ones I have seen for sale have a rotary lighting control on the left of the clock. Here are two examples:-
http://tinyurl.com/62ncg36
http://tinyurl.com/66q8we8

Agree with you about about the sole 'Lock' button on the left, but only mine seems to have it!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The rotary knob is for the headlamp leveling motors...on cars so equipped.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Rotary buttons? On clock module? Never seen it. I thought there were only two versions: with and without seat heaters. What you have should have "Lock" button on the left and "Hazard" on the right? The other has a button with a seat icon between each of those and the clock display, corresponding to left and right seat heaters.
The 'rotary buttons' are on UK models (and probably other Euro models) to level the headlights when the car has more weight in it than normal. We didn't get them in the US.

If you want a clock module without the rotary bits, shop a different ebay.
Try ebay.com as opposed to ebay.co.uk

The following users liked this post:
biffta (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by TopHatChef
The 'rotary buttons' are on UK models (and probably other Euro models) to level the headlights when the car has more weight in it than normal. We didn't get them in the US.

If you want a clock module without the rotary bits, shop a different ebay.
Try ebay.com as opposed to ebay.co.uk
Thanks Steven, have been looking 'Worldwide' as I suspected my button configuration was US only. If I replace it with a unit which has other buttons including the lock & hazard function, then as long as those 2 work and the cable fits ok then I won't really be bothered.
Thanks again.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 AM

When I was thinking about the clock problems which affect so many units, I thought wouldn't it be great if I could find a 12v digital clock display the same size as that in the Jag, remove the faulty one from within the casing, replace it with the new one and connect it to the 12v supply.
Digital clock displays are available all over the place and many are really cheap. There must be one somewhere the same size as the Jag's but so far I haven't been able to find one! If/when I do I think it will be a great option for those many owners with duff clocks.
The only drawback would be the absence of buttons to control time settings, but once the time is set, they don't often go that wrong.
Just an idea.
What do others think?

Last edited by biffta; 02-26-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I think that's a great idea, the only issue would be being in the US and having daylight savings time.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If repair is an option try this link http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by TopHatChef
I think that's a great idea, the only issue would be being in the US and having daylight savings time.
That would be a drawback I must confess. Back to the drawing board then!
Trying to connect up the time adjust buttons would I think be a bit of a daunting if not impossible task.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

What target-cost did you have in mind for this fitment? Module-master fix is roughly $120 by the time you ship it both ways. Seems like it would need to be < $60 to depart from stock and put up with adjustment buttons not working, et al...but that's just a guess. Er...somewhere in that range or below would be where I would've considered something else before packing my module off to module masters.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
What target-cost did you have in mind for this fitment? Module-master fix is roughly $120 by the time you ship it both ways. Seems like it would need to be < $60 to depart from stock and put up with adjustment buttons not working, et al...but that's just a guess. Er...somewhere in that range or below would be where I would've considered something else before packing my module off to module masters.
Must say I haven't really researched the idea to any great extent.
LCD clock displays are very cheap (< > 5 dollars) and I thought if someone could find a replacement for the Jag display at a low cost, then it wouldn't be such a huge task for someone with electronic expertise to replace the faulty display with a new one.
I know there are people out there who offer repairs to these clocks for quite a reasonable fee but this involves retaining the current display and repairing the contacts to that display which seem to be the cause of their failure. Long-term reliability would still be a problem I think and if a solution involving replacement of the display itself could be found then to my mind that would be a better route to take.