XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

replacing the leather cover ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default replacing the leather cover ..

folks,

is there a set of instructions on how to remove the leather cover on the x300 once the front seats are removed?

I know how to remove the back plate, and the clips securing the cover to the lower cushion, but how do you actually remove the leather cover from the cushion and squab? How easy is it to put back once removed? does the entire seat need to be disassembled?

is there a pictorial FAQ somewhere?

need to do it to replace the heated seat elements

thnx

Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

This might help...a little.

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

You'll need hog ring pliers (get the kind with a 45º angle) and hog rings. I didn't realize until I was ready to reassemble everything that I was out of hog rings and used HD wire ties instead! Actually, they work perfectly well....but it isn't exactly kosher.

I'd allow a full day for both seats. On reinstalling the covers it takes some patience to get them tensioned properly for a snug fit. It's as much art as science...but even I fumbled through it.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
MikeyB10 (03-25-2020)
Old 12-30-2011, 02:39 PM

thanks Doug.. exactly what i was looking for

just to confirm,... once I remove the seat from the car, I don't need to separate the back metal frame from the cushion metal frame, correct?

is it possible to remove the cushions from the frame and work on them separately?

lastly,.. I thought the bottom cushion had to be undone from the back, but in the pic, it seems you have undone it from the front.

I will look for a place to order the heater elements and will get started over the next few weeks when time permits

cheers

Old 12-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by 96x300
thanks Doug.. exactly what i was looking for

just to confirm,... once I remove the seat from the car, I don't need to separate the back metal frame from the cushion metal frame, correct?

I didn't. I can remember *why* I didn't. Old age = poor memory :-). I must've scientifically analyzed the situation and decided that the additional disassembly simply wasn't required. I have an aversion to taking things further apart then needed. Too many pieces

is it possible to remove the cushions from the frame and work on them separately?

Maybe. I think they're glued to the frame. Again, I can't remember. Sorry. I've had seat from a couple different cars apart since then and the details sorta run together. I can positively say that the Jag seats are easier to contend with than 1969 Mustang seats. But that doesn't help you much :-)

lastly,.. I thought the bottom cushion had to be undone from the back, but in the pic, it seems you have undone it from the front.

I may have started at the rar but eventually ended up at the front. I DO recall taht I couldn't remove the seat switch. Others here (or maybe Jag Lovers) mentioned it can be levered away from the seat frame but I was positive that it was gonna break so I left it in place...meaning the cover really had to be sorta peeled away from the opposite side.

I will look for a place to order the heater elements and will get started over the next few weeks when time permits

cheers

I got mine on Ebay. Dozens to choose from

Good luck,
Cheers
DD

Old 12-30-2011, 03:14 PM

awesome... thanks again & happy new yr.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:39 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Does anyone know how to remove front electric seat controls

Dear All,
Does anyone know how to release the front driver's seat electric controls from the seat frame to allow the leather seat cover and cushion to be removed. Like Doug I'm not happy just to pull on the switch pack as I'm sure I will end up breaking some small plastic tang somewhere, so that it won't go back together.

The reason that I need to do this job is that part of the frame broke on both sides where the back part of the frame pivot is anchored to the seat rails. The result is that the whole seat frame now pivots around the front edge of the seat cushion. After some research on the web I found other X300 seats had failed in the same way. I now have a driver's seat from another scrap car, but the trim colour is different. I therefore need to transplant the trim from my broken seat to the frame of the other seat. I've stripped the leather and foam off the backrest, but can't get the foam and leather off the cushion, because I can't release the switch pack from the frame. (I have unplugged the electrical connector). Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I'm usually answering other people's questions on this forum, so I hope someone can return the favour.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I pulled, stopped, convinced it would break, came in and posted a question quite similar to yours, and someone posted "Just pull on it, it pops out." So I went back out, bit my tongue, pulled, grunted, grimaced and then "BANG" and it was free. I was certain I'd broke it, but as it happens, I hadn't. Still, I don't think that is the truly proper way to do it and I posted pictures of it when all apart that may help you. Hang on, I'll find and post a link.

Here you go, Andy, hope this helps: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-seat-101061/

and I addressed it again on re-assembly after I'd had a couple of weeks to do other stuff: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lstery-101125/ as I say in this one, I think you will have better luck if you remove the switch buttons first, and the pics should help a bit with that. I used a couple of O-ring picks for that, (second time)

Last edited by aholbro1; 09-20-2014 at 09:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
Don B (09-20-2014), XJRengineer (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I was able to remove the switch pack from the plastic aperture (photo attached-hopefully )which is glued into the foam of the seat. On the seat that was donating the frame, the whole pack came out complete. Unfortunately, on the seat that was donating the trim and the matching switch pack, one of the 4 plastic tangs broke. It is just about possible to see the two lower tangs looking through the frame, but access is very limited to try to release them from the two lower slots in the aperture in the photo. The upper two tanks are very difficult to see from the inside because they are obscured by the foam. When I got the switch pack out, I could then remove the three screws that hold the plastic aperture to the frame (also shown in the photo). I was then able to remove the foam with the leather trim still covering it. I then transplanted the foam and leather cushion to the replacement seat frame. The switch pack was refitted with the three remaining tangs and seems secure. I've now taken the switch pack off two seats with a 50% success rate. I still don't know how I would do it differently another time. Good luck to anyone else trying this job. It feels like this arrangement was designed to go together once, but nobody really thought how anyone would take it apart again.

Attached Thumbnails replacing the leather cover ..-dsc05650.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Because the leather is foam-backed, I missed that you were transferring the foam cushions as well; thought you were just needing to remove the trim in order to get the skins off. I still don't understand why you couldn't use the switch-pack you didn't break with the trim-plate and switches from your original seat?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:01 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

After 20 years the seat cushion on the drivers seat gets pretty worn. I ordered a new seat bun from Jaguar and installed it. Didn't seem that big of a project. It took maybe 2 hours. But, I have some experience at this sort of thing. It's not the XJR octopus operation.